Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2014, 05:38 AM   #1
Banned




Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Sankt Peterburg
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,382
Sony/Zeiss and Mamiya rumored to release medium format digital rangefinder cameras

Photo Rumors

Sony/Zeiss and Mamiya will both release new digital medium format rangefinder-styled cameras in the next 12 months.


Last edited by ogl; 09-30-2014 at 08:52 AM.
09-30-2014, 09:25 AM   #2
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 9,472
I'd love to see more camera designs utilizing this medium format sensor than what exists today. Anyone starting fresh with MFD has the advantage of shrinking the lens registration distance from that of legacy film cameras and come up with a more compact MFD cameras and perhaps smaller lenses too.
09-30-2014, 09:35 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Miguel's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Near Seattle
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,743
I would find a digital version of the Mamiya 7 to be quite appealing.

M
09-30-2014, 10:02 AM   #4
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 9,472
I have a M7II and any new version better be made more robust. The lightweight of the M7II is nice but it is a pretty fragile camera being a rangefinder (don't bump it too hard) and glued on rubber pieces sheering off when abraded the wrong way.

09-30-2014, 04:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,873
Doesn't it seem unlikely that Sony would release yet another mount? I guess Pentax has three mounts, too...
09-30-2014, 06:02 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Digitalis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide.
Posts: 10,229
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
rangefinder-styled cameras
there is a difference between actual rangefinder cameras and "rangefinder styled" cameras.

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Anyone starting fresh with MFD has the advantage of shrinking the lens registration distance from that of legacy film cameras and come up with a more compact MFD cameras and perhaps smaller lenses too.
Wide angle lens design will be problematic - digital sensors work best when light rays fall on it directly, With a short flange and a short focal length light rays strike the sensor at a steeper angle and this frequently causes problems with vignetting and lens shading.
09-30-2014, 07:14 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Fogel70's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,423
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
With a short flange and a short focal length light rays strike the sensor at a steeper angle and this frequently causes problems with vignetting and lens shading.
Not necessarily, the lens design can be telecentric for short registration distance too. But the lens design can still benefit from the shorter registration distance. And if designing lenses for a "crop" medium sized sensors, the benefit of using short registration lens mount is even greater.

10-01-2014, 05:42 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 6,615
I don't see Sony releasing another mount in the near future. They have not been able to keep up with the demand for FE mount lens development. They have 5 more lenses on the road map for 2015.
10-01-2014, 05:59 AM   #9
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 9,472
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Wide angle lens design will be problematic - digital sensors work best when light rays fall on it directly, With a short flange and a short focal length light rays strike the sensor at a steeper angle and this frequently causes problems with vignetting and lens shading.
Perhaps if you are setting the lens practically on top of the sensor. This cropped 645 is not that big for medium format, really. Even a registration distance of a 35mm format camera will go a long way to a smaller setup.
10-01-2014, 06:27 AM   #10
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Michigan
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,207
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Perhaps if you are setting the lens practically on top of the sensor.
Retro-focus wide angle lenses.
I am presently building a 6x9 film camera.
The ray angle spread to the corner of the frame is 31.2 to 66.5 degrees.
That is for the Takumar 6x7 55mm

I see the latest digital backs are almost same size as 6x9.
10-01-2014, 08:16 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Digitalis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide.
Posts: 10,229
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
ens design can be telecentric for short registration distance too. But the lens design can still benefit from the shorter registration distance
However, lenses designed like that will be bigger than what is typically expected - and if you try to make it a fast lens the advantage of a shorter back focus vanishes.

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Perhaps if you are setting the lens practically on top of the sensor. This cropped 645 is not that big for medium format, really. Even a registration distance of a 35mm format camera will go a long way to a smaller setup.
I agree but again messing around with registration distances precludes the use of legacy glass (mamiya has made some cracker lenses in the past for MF). Using too short a registration distance also makes it nearly impossible to go for full frame 645 which will eventually become more affordable than it is at present.
10-01-2014, 10:36 AM   #12
Pentaxian
g026r's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,030
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Doesn't it seem unlikely that Sony would release yet another mount? I guess Pentax has three mounts, too...
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I don't see Sony releasing another mount in the near future. They have not been able to keep up with the demand for FE mount lens development. They have 5 more lenses on the road map for 2015.
Photorumours doesn't mention it, but whenever this rumour has shown up on sonyalpharumours it's always been for a fixed-lens medium format camera. So no new lens mount needed.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
cameras, format, mamiya, medium, release, release medium format, sony/zeiss and mamiya
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sony getting into digital medium format Fontan Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 4 03-29-2014 12:32 AM
Hasselblad to launch 50 Megapixel Sony CMOS sensor-based medium format camera ! jogiba Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 20 03-04-2014 12:34 PM
Nikon and Sony will show Medium Format cameras at PhotoPlus Expo DanWeso Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 6 10-10-2013 07:54 AM
For Sale - Sold: Mamiya 645AF. Medium format camera. zany225 Sold Items 6 10-05-2013 06:39 PM
For Sale - Sold: Fuji GSW690III 6x9 Professional Medium Format Rangefinder SointulArt Sold Items 7 12-04-2012 03:28 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:15 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top