Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2014, 05:38 AM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sony/Zeiss and Mamiya rumored to release medium format digital rangefinder cameras

Photo Rumors

Sony/Zeiss and Mamiya will both release new digital medium format rangefinder-styled cameras in the next 12 months.

Last edited by ogl; 09-30-2014 at 08:52 AM.
09-30-2014, 09:25 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I'd love to see more camera designs utilizing this medium format sensor than what exists today. Anyone starting fresh with MFD has the advantage of shrinking the lens registration distance from that of legacy film cameras and come up with a more compact MFD cameras and perhaps smaller lenses too.
09-30-2014, 09:35 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would find a digital version of the Mamiya 7 to be quite appealing.

M
09-30-2014, 10:02 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I have a M7II and any new version better be made more robust. The lightweight of the M7II is nice but it is a pretty fragile camera being a rangefinder (don't bump it too hard) and glued on rubber pieces sheering off when abraded the wrong way.

09-30-2014, 04:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Doesn't it seem unlikely that Sony would release yet another mount? I guess Pentax has three mounts, too...
09-30-2014, 06:02 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
rangefinder-styled cameras
there is a difference between actual rangefinder cameras and "rangefinder styled" cameras.

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Anyone starting fresh with MFD has the advantage of shrinking the lens registration distance from that of legacy film cameras and come up with a more compact MFD cameras and perhaps smaller lenses too.
Wide angle lens design will be problematic - digital sensors work best when light rays fall on it directly, With a short flange and a short focal length light rays strike the sensor at a steeper angle and this frequently causes problems with vignetting and lens shading.
09-30-2014, 07:14 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
With a short flange and a short focal length light rays strike the sensor at a steeper angle and this frequently causes problems with vignetting and lens shading.
Not necessarily, the lens design can be telecentric for short registration distance too. But the lens design can still benefit from the shorter registration distance. And if designing lenses for a "crop" medium sized sensors, the benefit of using short registration lens mount is even greater.

10-01-2014, 05:42 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't see Sony releasing another mount in the near future. They have not been able to keep up with the demand for FE mount lens development. They have 5 more lenses on the road map for 2015.
10-01-2014, 05:59 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Wide angle lens design will be problematic - digital sensors work best when light rays fall on it directly, With a short flange and a short focal length light rays strike the sensor at a steeper angle and this frequently causes problems with vignetting and lens shading.
Perhaps if you are setting the lens practically on top of the sensor. This cropped 645 is not that big for medium format, really. Even a registration distance of a 35mm format camera will go a long way to a smaller setup.
10-01-2014, 06:27 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Perhaps if you are setting the lens practically on top of the sensor.
Retro-focus wide angle lenses.
I am presently building a 6x9 film camera.
The ray angle spread to the corner of the frame is 31.2 to 66.5 degrees.
That is for the Takumar 6x7 55mm

I see the latest digital backs are almost same size as 6x9.
10-01-2014, 08:16 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
ens design can be telecentric for short registration distance too. But the lens design can still benefit from the shorter registration distance
However, lenses designed like that will be bigger than what is typically expected - and if you try to make it a fast lens the advantage of a shorter back focus vanishes.

Perhaps if you are setting the lens practically on top of the sensor. This cropped 645 is not that big for medium format, really. Even a registration distance of a 35mm format camera will go a long way to a smaller setup.
I agree but again messing around with registration distances precludes the use of legacy glass (mamiya has made some cracker lenses in the past for MF). Using too short a registration distance also makes it nearly impossible to go for full frame 645 which will eventually become more affordable than it is at present.
10-01-2014, 10:36 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Doesn't it seem unlikely that Sony would release yet another mount? I guess Pentax has three mounts, too...
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I don't see Sony releasing another mount in the near future. They have not been able to keep up with the demand for FE mount lens development. They have 5 more lenses on the road map for 2015.
Photorumours doesn't mention it, but whenever this rumour has shown up on sonyalpharumours it's always been for a fixed-lens medium format camera. So no new lens mount needed.