10-06-2014, 04:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Own Stock in Nikon?

Nikon Corp Downgraded by Goldman Sachs to "Sell" (NINOY) | WKRB News

https://www.google.com/finance?q=OTCMKTS:NINOY

10-06-2014, 05:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The link you provided to the stock price is for the ADR. The actual stock price chart on the Tokyo Stock Exchange is this one:
https://www.google.com/finance?chdnp=1&chdd=1&chds=1&chdv=1&chvs=maximized&c...DNG1iAKdt4HwAw

As you can see, Nikon suffered a big drop in August due to very poor 1st quarter results, but the stock price has somewhat recovered since then. They are still about 25% from the price at the start of the year though.

I would say the bad news is already reflected into the current price though, so not sure there is much downside left, unless they release an even more shocking half yearly result.
10-07-2014, 08:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Stock goes up...stock goes down....it is very fluid...and if it's not you are probably holding a dead end security. I lost $25K two weeks ago on 3 stocks.....have now gained back 70% of the loss. These are shaky times, and it will get worse, but it will get better, then worse, then better....it's the nature of investing in stocks.
As for analysts and their opinions, they are more likely to be wrong than a monkey with a dartboard at predicting the future. More people have gone broke listening to analysts than people using a monkey with a dartboard.

Regards!
10-07-2014, 09:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Buy!!

10-07-2014, 02:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

So that's what I'm missing. I already have a dartboard.
10-07-2014, 05:44 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Stock goes up...stock goes down....it is very fluid...and if it's not you are probably holding a dead end security. I lost $25K two weeks ago on 3 stocks.....have now gained back 70% of the loss. These are shaky times, and it will get worse, but it will get better, then worse, then better....it's the nature of investing in stocks.
As for analysts and their opinions, they are more likely to be wrong than a monkey with a dartboard at predicting the future. More people have gone broke listening to analysts than people using a monkey with a dartboard.

Regards!
You got that right. I've lost $1500 this week. Stocks are up and down like a roller coaster. Just like a roller coaster, if you don't have the stomach for it, don't get on. I don't own Nikon but I do find some humor in the thread. There are probably a dozen "Pentax is doomed" threads but Ricoh/Pentax is probably doing the best in the way of finances. They reported a nice profit. I wouldn't worry too much as EVERYTHING is down right now because of the general weirdness of lots of things going on in the world. Consider that Apple, which just sold more phones in one month than any company in history, is also down several points. Last week, there were record highs. Lots of people cashed out, especially baby boomers who rely on their investments for income. Some of that money will be reinvested when prices fall which will causes prices to rise again. That's the way it works.

Nikon even beat the analysts expectations slightly and still they were downgraded and rated as a "sell". Analysts are about as accurate as sports commentators in predicting future winners.