Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2014, 06:37 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The biggest drawback I see to "Have you considered going FF".

For far too many FF shooters, they spend a fortune on the necessary gear, do weight training to carry it around, and when they post their FF "masterpieces" on Facebook they appear no better than the shots posted with a camera phone or a Toy Camera and don't receive any more attention or notice. That has to hurt!

Regards!

10-19-2014, 06:49 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
The biggest drawback I see to "Have you considered going FF".

For far too many FF shooters, they spend a fortune on the necessary gear, do weight training to carry it around, and when they post their FF "masterpieces" on Facebook they appear no better than the shots posted with a camera phone or a Toy Camera and don't receive any more attention or notice. That has to hurt!

Regards!
True. I've posted stuff that looks pretty damn good at web size/resolution that look horrid at full size/resolution. So that's a factor. But when you print the output from each format at native size/rez there usually is no contest.

Unless you just plain suck at taking pictures.
10-19-2014, 07:58 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
The worse ...
... The laws of physics? - The, grotesquely large, heavy and clumsy glass often required to get the job done.
The more usual case is the opposite of that.

Dr. Camera: APS-C lenses aren't smaller, aren't lighter, and aren't cheaper.
10-19-2014, 08:03 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Interesting gear... I couldn't live with it, but it's good it works for you. It looks like I almost cover everything you have with my 18-135. That's what I would find disturbing, spending 4 k on a system that does a lot less. No Sigma 8-16 equivalent, no A-400 equivalent. But then, as you've said, you don't do that.

Post some pictures sometime....

10-19-2014, 08:06 AM   #20

Photos: Gallery
His "total light" logic is flawed.
10-19-2014, 08:11 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bimjo Quote
Just guessing...but I am betting I can suck just as good with a FF as I do with my Toy Cameras. Wanna bet?

Regards!
10-19-2014, 08:13 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
True. I've posted stuff that looks pretty damn good at web size/resolution that look horrid at full size/resolution. So that's a factor. But when you print the output from each format at native size/rez there usually is no contest.

I've posted a lot of stuff that looks great at full size that looks pretty bad at web size. And I've sold images taken with 10 MP cameras, that looked great at 30x20.

Does that mean I suck at taking pictures too.... what's wrong with you?

10-19-2014, 09:04 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Does that mean I suck at taking pictures too.... what's wrong with you?
Norm, there are some that can take superb shots with a 5MP camera using the bottom of a fruit jar for a lens. You are one of them, and there are a few others here at PF. My personal feeling from years of hearing the FF squealing is that a big majority of inferior shooters (like me) think that FF will make them something the aren't and may never be. I realize that I don't need to have a FF to get some lousy shots, most any camera will do that for me. Once in a while...like a blind hog that finds an acorn...I get lucky. If I thought FF was necessary, I'd spend more time trying to get good instead of lucky...like you and others, and stop dreaming that FF would transform my life.

Regards!
10-19-2014, 09:26 AM   #24
Pentaxian

You have to admit though Rupert, when it comes to squirrel images, you're pretty much the king...

I have to agree with you though, I could shoot with 8x10 film, but that wouldn't make me Ansel Adams, Richard Avedon or Yousuf Karsh, even though I admire all their work. it would make me norm head shooting with an 8x10 camera. Not Ansel Adams, not Richard Avedon, and not Yousuf Karsh. You can buy any camera you want. It gives you absolutely no claim to fame, anymore than a guy owning a Mercedes makes him famous, or a good driver. It doesn't make you an expert, it doesn't make you an even average photographer. It doesn't make you anything but a guy with enough money to buy that camera. There's a lot of people who wish it was different. Thinking that buying FF stuff gives them some kind of instant status. It doesn't, if you were an obnoxious dweeb before, you're still an obnoxious dweeb, just with different equipment.

That being said, people should shoot what they love.... whatever it is. Your choice of camera is probably the least interesting thing to me, when photography is discussed. How much time is it worth in a discussion of photography. One line " my favourite camera is a ___________" the format might be part of that, or it might not. After that you might talk for 5 days, and format would continue to be irrelevant for the whole time. It's just not worth going on about. Most of us completely understand the limitations of our gear, we don't need the misguided attempts at education provided by those who use bigger or smaller formats. We know what we're giving up, and we're cool with it.

And buying your new gear, doesn't make you someone that everyone else needs to know about, beyond that one line, just so people know what you shoot.

The last person who's going to provide any insight into gear is a new purchaser. They've probably taken a few shots, but really haven't discovered the limitations of their gear. A year later when they've come up against the wall a few times with their new gear, the tune changes. Like most things, the theory of photography is pretty straight forward, only practice makes perfect and it's in the practice that people get good. Buying gear gets you nothing, but more gear. The only thing buying new gear does for you is having fear that you don't understand and learn how to use. You don't know as much about your new gear as you did about your old gar. It doesn't makes you old and wise, it makes you an inexperienced newly all over again.

Last edited by normhead; 10-19-2014 at 10:06 AM.
10-19-2014, 10:01 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben78 Quote
... Going Fullframe
Enjoy your new setup! I know you'll have lots of fun with it.

QuoteQuote:
Anyone see any gaps?
Yeah. I think you need some old school flavor in your line-up. I can recommend the Auto Takumar 55 f/1.8.

Unless of course . . . . . you think it'd be too big and heavy for you!
10-19-2014, 10:32 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bang on Rawr
50/1.8, 35/2, 100/2, 24-105/4IS 70-200/2.8
Patiently waiting on a 20/2.8 to become available at a decent price.
The 20mm is not considered very good by most user reviews that I've seen. Until recently with the new f4 zoom, Canon's wide angle offerings have not been very well received, T/SE excepted.

M
10-19-2014, 12:22 PM   #27

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by .a.t. Quote
Enjoy your new setup! I know you'll have lots of fun with it.

Yeah. I think you need some old school flavor in your line-up. I can recommend the Auto Takumar 55 f/1.8.

Unless of course . . . . . you think it'd be too big and heavy for you!
I have the Tak SMC 50/1.4 but the mirror hits the rear element at infinity focus

Is the 55 all that different to a 50? I've always thought of them as being too close in fl to make much difference
10-19-2014, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the Tak SMC 50/1.4 but the mirror hits the rear element at infinity focus
Yes, I've read about that many times. My adapter is an eb*y cheapo which doesn't quite allow focus to infinity. But, it does allow me to use my handful of Takumars and almost all of my numerous 3rd party M42s on my 5D with no problems. (Except for my S-M-C Tak 135 f/2.5 which has lugs that don't allow the adapter to fully screw on.)
I use my Canon for portrait style shots, so I don't miss infinity.

QuoteQuote:
Is the 55 all that different to a 50? I've always thought of them as being too close in fl to make much difference
That probably depends on who you ask. I'm primarily a backyard snapshooter, and in my view, no, there isn't a great deal of difference.
I chose the Auto Takumar 55 as my example because it's the smallest lens I own.

Here's a 5D comparison between my Super Takumar 50 f/1.4 and my Auto Takumar 55 f/1.8
(shot on a tripod from the same position):

Super Tak 50mm f/1.4 @ f/2

Auto Tak 55 f/1.8 @ f/2

10-19-2014, 04:12 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Interesting gear... I couldn't live with it, but it's good it works for you. It looks like I almost cover everything you have with my 18-135. That's what I would find disturbing, spending 4 k on a system that does a lot less. No Sigma 8-16 equivalent, no A-400 equivalent. But then, as you've said, you don't do that.

Post some pictures sometime....
FWIW, when I put my Sigma 10-20 on one of my old film cameras, I don't start seeing vignetting until around 13mm or so. I'll take 14mm on a FF any day of the week.
10-19-2014, 04:20 PM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
FWIW, when I put my Sigma 10-20 on one of my old film cameras, I don't start seeing vignetting until around 13mm or so. I'll take 14mm on a FF any day of the week.
Based on the images you provided, I'm not sure I should believe you. 8mm on APS-c is wider than 14mm on FF for starts, and I take a lot of 8mm APS-c images... I guess I might like 14mm FF more, but I don't know.

Sigma 8-16 @ 8mm.. what's not to like?

What about 14mm on FF would be better? Please provide an image.