Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
10-26-2014, 02:30 AM   #46

Original Poster
Discovered another 'Worse thing'

The comments!
"Wow that lens is huge"
"You have a nice camera"
"Are you a professional photographer"

I've just been a bit dismissive but I think its gonna get quite annoying.

OTOH this 70-200 f2.8 L is stunningly good!

10-26-2014, 02:32 AM - 2 Likes   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Best thing : Shallow DOF
Worst thing : Shallow DOF

10-26-2014, 07:49 AM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben78 Quote
Discovered another 'Worse thing'

The comments!
"Wow that lens is huge"
"You have a nice camera"
"Are you a professional photographer"

I've just been a bit dismissive but I think its gonna get quite annoying.

OTOH this 70-200 f2.8 L is stunningly good!
You mean this one?

Ya, as good as the Nikon, barely better than the Tamron?
10-27-2014, 04:33 PM   #49
Veteran Member

I just got the Tamron DI/VC bnib for 950.00 CAD and it is a great lens.

10-27-2014, 05:31 PM - 3 Likes   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote

Sometimes I forget I'm talking to amateurs. I said the kids face was fat. I'm used to talking to people who would interpret that as I meant it, the photograph was really bad, and the photographer had made the kids face look fat being too close with too wide an angle lens. I was not commenting on the kid. But hey, you throw a picture out there to show how great a format is, please make it a decent picture. Help me stay out of trouble.
Norm, it was my kid IIRC. You were furious at me for making something you said look silly, and you lashed out in about the worst possible way, veiling it as a "I'm just making a suggestion about photography". Which fooled no-one. It was really low-class, but what really makes it worse is that you (IIRC) have never apologized. Anyone can have a bad moment, but...

I think you spend a lot of time in the non-pentax and FF forums just making yourself really mad. We've suggested you maybe re-think that, and you take it as a "get out of here" directive and double down on the thick-headedness. Don't know if there's a fix for that. I guess if you enjoy it, for some masochistic reason, you're entitled to continue.

QuoteQuote:
If you'll recall, when I explained my comment, the deleted post was reintroduced to the thread. The other comment is, people do this all the time. They tell you how great their camera is, and they post a really bad picture of a family member. In the silence that ensues they assume that they've proved their point.
Ever notice the silence that accompanies most of your over-PP'd landscape shots?

10-27-2014, 06:27 PM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Norm, it was my kid IIRC. You were furious at me for making something you said look silly, and you lashed out in about the worst possible way, veiling it as a "I'm just making a suggestion about photography". Which fooled no-one. It was really low-class, but what really makes it worse is that you (IIRC) have never apologized. Anyone can have a bad moment, but...

I think you spend a lot of time in the non-pentax and FF forums just making yourself really mad. We've suggested you maybe re-think that, and you take it as a "get out of here" directive and double down on the thick-headedness. Don't know if there's a fix for that. I guess if you enjoy it, for some masochistic reason, you're entitled to continue.

Ever notice the silence that accompanies most of your over-PP'd landscape shots?

That is totally classless, and totally predictable... is there someone who actually learns anything from you? Some reason you should even be here?

You're getting to be such a discredited figure here, I have trouble even taking you seriously. The above is pretty funny, in a pathetic kind of way.

Last edited by normhead; 10-27-2014 at 06:32 PM.
10-27-2014, 06:54 PM - 1 Like   #52
Veteran Member

That is totally classless, and totally predictable... is there someone who actually learns anything from you? Some reason you should even be here?
You mean posting in the non-Pentax sub forum? Don't know, I actively shoot non-Pentax equipment as well as Pentax, does that qualify me?

How about you? Why are you in here? Looks like it's to take shots... but not the photography kind.

QuoteQuote:
You're getting to be such a discredited figure here, I have trouble even taking you seriously. The above is pretty funny, in a pathetic kind of way.
(^^ see my comment about 'making yourself really mad'.)

Also, re-read what you posted. You have a tendency to take personal shots at someone and then faint when someone shoots back at you.

10-27-2014, 09:50 PM   #53
osv
Veteran Member

does that reflect a reticence to engage in dialog with him, or is it due to the quality of the photo?

because telling him why his pics suck is something that i might enjoy
10-27-2014, 11:07 PM   #54

Original Poster
You mean this one?

Ya, as good as the Nikon, barely better than the Tamron?
No, I chose the older Non-IS version due to reviews placing it ahead of the rest as far as image quality is concerned. I had considered the Tamron however I see reports of 'bad copies' and frankly for the amount of money they are there should be no 'bad copies'. I didn't see any such reports on the Canon version and I bought a 'like new' for $1000usd. It literally is in as new condition, I cannot see a single fault or mark on it anywhere.
10-28-2014, 03:12 AM   #55
Veteran Member

I didn't see any such reports on the Canon version and I bought a 'like new' for $1000usd. It literally is in as new condition, I cannot see a single fault or mark on it anywhere.
I like those kind of buys.

I'm very grateful that there are folks out there who buy expensive photo gear, but never seem to use it out in the field, before selling it and moving on to something else that got a better review on YouTube.
10-28-2014, 03:26 AM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm sure you'll get used to the larger size of lenses over time.
10-28-2014, 07:57 AM - 1 Like   #57
Veteran Member

Bang on Rawr
50/1.8, 35/2, 100/2, 24-105/4IS 70-200/2.8
Patiently waiting on a 20/2.8 to become available at a decent price.
How about a 300 f/4, or Sigma 100-300 f4 HSM at some point? The 100-300 is maybe a bit too much overlap with the 70-200, but if you can find one at a nice price it's fantastic optically and has fast AF.

Also, I'd suggest pursuing that Canon 20 2.8, one of my favorite lenses on Nikon FF is the little 20 f/2.8D. Rokinon 14 f/2.8 is another nice WA option (I'm told) if you don't mind MF.
10-28-2014, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #58
Veteran Member

How about a 300 f/4, or Sigma 100-300 f4 HSM at some point? The 100-300 is maybe a bit too much overlap with the 70-200, but if you can find one at a nice price it's fantastic optically and has fast AF.

Also, I'd suggest pursuing that Canon 20 2.8, one of my favorite lenses on Nikon FF is the little 20 f/2.8D. Rokinon 14 f/2.8 is another nice WA option (I'm told) if you don't mind MF.
I personally would get the 1.4X TC and pocket the cash or use the difference and get a wide prime.
From what I hear, the 70-200mm works fabulously with the 1.4TC, with negligible loss of IQ.
10-28-2014, 10:04 AM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I personally would get the 1.4X TC and pocket the cash or use the difference and get a wide prime.
From what I hear, the 70-200mm works fabulously with the 1.4TC, with negligible loss of IQ.
A couple of my wildlife/birding buddies use that combo and just love it. I've seen some amazing images taken with it. Oh wait, they both use the 2x TC. They get what I get with my A-400, ƒ5.6 with very functional auto-focus.

Last edited by normhead; 10-28-2014 at 10:10 AM.
10-28-2014, 10:18 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Attachment 241240

Both the best thing and the worse thing is having to buy new lenses! I've loved doing the research and then hunting them down, loved getting the mail packages and trying the new lens out and learning how they work and what images they produce. Worse thing - wallet damage! I've spent $4k on the jump, pretty happy though, the image quality is brilliant, all are prime like even the zooms. The primes are sharp wide open and the 100mm f2.0 is a thing of beauty! The 70-200 f2.8 L is a behemoth but the image quality is out of this world!

Anyone see any gaps?

Photo taken using K5 FA50/1.4 @5.6. Youngnuo YN560II flash on stand with shoot through 32" umbrella triggered with Cactus V5
Pretty good kit for 4k I would say... can you break the price down?

you have a huge gap.... the PENTAX 645Z will fill that up.