Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
10-28-2014, 11:07 AM   #61
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No dog in the fight here....I'm a certified Toy Camera shooter...and proud of it. However I think the worst thing might be for those that spend a truckload of cash on a FF set up and discover that they don't have any more photographic talent afterwards than they had before. I've seen it happen several times....many right here at PF. For some, the bragging rights and a sharper or "better" shot of a lamp post with a more shallow DOF may be sufficient justification.......in their minds?
I view the shots in the photo threads here at PF often, and find that the really good shooters are really good with most any camera, and the rest of us are only lucky once in a while.
Not saying that I haven't known a few shooters that did have a particular need and use for a FF camera, and did benefit somewhat from it.....but the ones I know got more benefit from the other features like faster and more accurate AF than from the IQ on the FF brand they selected.

Anyhow, just my personal observation, for what it's worth. Not much according to Otis, who says my Toy Cameras are far too good for my abilities. Otis...he's seldom wrong.

My point is...if there is one....Instead of asking "Have you considered going FF?".....Maybe you should consider going Toy Camera? We'd love to see you in our Toy Camera thread, won't pick at you or pixel peep, and will most definitely appreciate what you post.
There are some really neat Toy Cameras in today's market...check them out and save a bundle of cash and have a bundle of fun!

Regards!

10-28-2014, 02:43 PM   #62

Original Poster
Perfectly said Rupert. I am well aware that my own shortcomings as a photographer are only going to be carried forward into whatever format I use. I have noticed an increase in 'keeper' rate though - by keeper I mean that the object was in focus and sharp enough for a print, not necessarily that the composition or artistic value was better.

---------- Post added 10-28-14 at 02:53 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
Pretty good kit for 4k I would say... can you break the price down?

you have a huge gap.... the PENTAX 645Z will fill that up.
Hey, yeah no worries.
Prices are what I paid in Aussie dollars. Current US exchange is about 0.84c for 1aud, so the prices are 15% cheaper in US terms
6D Body - $1680
EF50/1.8II - $125
EF35/2 - $275
EF100/2 - $390
EF24-105/4L - $420
EF70-200/2.8L - $1100
Total - $3990aud ($3350usd)

One point that Pentax has nailed is swapping lenses. On Pentax I can hold the body in my right hand using the grip and press the lens release, turn the lens with my left hand and remove. Canon has the lens release on the opposite side so I have to hold the body awkwardly in my left hand whilst pressing the button and remove the lens with my right hand. Something I'll get used to but the Pentax ergonomics in this regard are far better.
10-28-2014, 03:15 PM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben78 Quote
One point that Pentax has nailed is swapping lenses. On Pentax I can hold the body in my right hand using the grip and press the lens release, turn the lens with my left hand and remove. Canon has the lens release on the opposite side so I have to hold the body awkwardly in my left hand whilst pressing the button and remove the lens with my right hand. Something I'll get used to but the Pentax ergonomics in this regard are far better.
I've been using at least one Canon DSLR for the past 5-6 years and I've still not gotten used to this PITA. I have great hopes that you will succeed.

M
10-28-2014, 03:22 PM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I think the worst thing might be for those that spend a truckload of cash on a FF set up and discover that they don't have any more photographic talent afterwards than they had before...and find that the really good shooters are really good with most any camera, and the rest of us are only lucky once in a while.
Well said.

Of course gear matters - but only within very broad limits and those limits are well met by most modern gear of whatever format or make.

Buy less shoot more.

10-28-2014, 03:45 PM   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Originally posted by Ben78

I've been using at least one Canon DSLR for the past 5-6 years and I've still not gotten used to this PITA. I have great hopes that you will succeed.

M
I agree that the Pentax is much easier to change lenses on than the Canon. If you find that's different though, try a Nikon. It's completely backward!
10-28-2014, 03:52 PM   #66
Pentaxian

Perfectly said Rupert. I am well aware that my own shortcomings as a photographer are only going to be carried forward into whatever format I use. I have noticed an increase in 'keeper' rate though - by keeper I mean that the object was in focus and sharp enough for a print, not necessarily that the composition or artistic value was better.

---------- Post added 10-28-14 at 02:53 PM ----------

Hey, yeah no worries.
Prices are what I paid in Aussie dollars. Current US exchange is about 0.84c for 1aud, so the prices are 15% cheaper in US terms
6D Body - $1680
EF50/1.8II - $125
EF35/2 - $275
EF100/2 - $390
EF24-105/4L - $420
EF70-200/2.8L - $1100
Total - $3990aud ($3350usd)

Those are certainly attractive looking prices. It looks like a real killer, low light performer.
10-28-2014, 04:57 PM   #67
Veteran Member

EF35/2 - $275
EF100/2 - $390
EF24-105/4L - $420
These were great deals, some about 50% off current retail.
I'll have to get you to do my [non-Canon] lens shopping in future

10-28-2014, 06:56 PM - 1 Like   #68
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I am well aware that my own shortcomings as a photographer are only going to be carried forward into whatever format I use.
Ben, let me make it clear, I did not have you in mind when I typed out that observation. I am not even familiar with your work, so it would not be possible for me to make any judgment based on no evidence of any sort. Just didn't want you to get the notion I was referring to you in any way.....I was not!
One other observation, and I hope this does refer to you.....If you get a set-up that makes you want to shoot more, explore more territory and find more enjoyment in doing so, it is a good step, no matter if it is a FF or a silly little Toy Camera. Finding fun and satisfaction in shooting is always more important than what you are finding it with!

Best Regards!
Rupert