Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
10-20-2014, 10:20 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Next camera body....maybe a Sony.

I've got three Pentax DSLR bodies and about 10 + Pentax digital lens (lost count).

So far ...all equipment running well. However if one of the bodies 'conks' out I'm thinking of replacing it with a Sony body and a Novaflex lens mount system that allows Pentax K mount lenses to be used on the Sony camera mount.

So what do you think ? Good idea or any pitfalls ?

Which Sony body would you recommend?

I have the Pentax 18-55,16-45, 10-17 Fisheye, 50 F 1.4, 50 Macro F 2.8, 12-24, 18-135, 55-300, 40, 21 and 70 Limiteds...Sigma 150-500.

Will I lose the AF focus of my Pentax lenses when coupled...via Novaflex adaptor...with the Sony body ?

10-20-2014, 10:35 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, you will lose AF.

Depending on the Sony body, you will also lose Image Stabilization.
10-20-2014, 10:38 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Yes, you will lose AF.

Depending on the Sony body, you will also lose Image Stabilization.
Which Sony body would provide image stabilization ?
10-20-2014, 10:40 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Which Sony body would provide image stabilization ?
I believe all of the SLT's have in-body stabilization. As far as I know, no other Sony body does.

10-20-2014, 10:40 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Good new though, Fotodiox now sells replacement E camera mounts that are not plastic like the originals..... no more wiggly lens.
10-20-2014, 10:45 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just curious but what is the motivation to move to Sony? I can understand the a7 series if you want to go FF but otherwise?

Honestly looking for what the advantage would be.
10-20-2014, 11:03 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'd check this article by Roger Cicala, talking about image degradation when using adapters, just google it:
"There Is No Free Lunch, Episode 763: Lens Adapters"

Short story is that no adapter (and he tested branded, expensive ones) would be exempt from a massive degradation of image quality, mainly because of slight misalignments which are inevitable when using it.
Maybe that won't mean much in real world usage, but it's another thing to be aware of.

A couple of years ago I was considering a NEX in order to have focus peaking in a small body (even though the adapter somewhat nullified the gain), but decided against it (awkward menu structure, it was a Sony - "the" brand of lost causes and failed standards -, and this adapter issue), and bought a K-01...

Last edited by LensBeginner; 10-20-2014 at 11:14 AM.
10-20-2014, 11:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I don't think you can practically fit a K-mount lens on a Sony A-mount (SLT) body without a corrective adapter. The lens flange distance and throat diameters are too close.

So you should rule out the SLT bodies.
10-20-2014, 11:45 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm with jatrax on this one. If you're happy with the k-mount system and APS-C sensor, then buy another Pentax body when your current body dies. If you want full frame then your only option is the A7 series and you'll lose autofocus (definitely) and image stabilization (I think). BTW, the only zoom you have that covers the FF circle is the Sigma, and I don't think any of your limited primes will cover it, so unless you're going to buy new lenses as well I'd stick with APS-C.
10-20-2014, 11:59 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jrpower10 Quote
I'm with jatrax on this one. If you're happy with the k-mount system and APS-C sensor, then buy another Pentax body when your current body dies.
Well, I wasn't completely saying 'bad idea', I really would like to hear from the OP why a move to Sony is of interest. What features do you gain? Personally I do think it is a bad idea, but I would like to hear the reasons why it is being considered.

Just trying to keep an open mind and maybe learn something.
10-20-2014, 12:24 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fair comment
10-20-2014, 12:24 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Well, I wasn't completely saying 'bad idea', I really would like to hear from the OP why a move to Sony is of interest. What features do you gain? Personally I do think it is a bad idea, but I would like to hear the reasons why it is being considered.

Just trying to keep an open mind and maybe learn something.
You gain the feature of being able to use new Zeiss glass.
10-20-2014, 12:31 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Don't even bother unless you want some nice Sony lenses. For example, the Sony Zeiss 135/1.8 is a good justification for getting a Sony body.

You have some good Pentax lenses, but none so special as to require you to move them over. Like others here, I can't imagine what you're hoping to gain from this. By the time one of your Pentax bodies dies you'll probably even have at least one Pentax FF option. Right now, you barely have any FF lenses anyway. Again, not sure what you're hoping to achieve.
10-20-2014, 01:15 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
I'd check this article by Roger Cicala, talking about image degradation when using adapters, just google it:
"There Is No Free Lunch, Episode 763: Lens Adapters"

Short story is that no adapter (and he tested branded, expensive ones) would be exempt from a massive degradation of image quality, mainly because of slight misalignments which are inevitable when using it.
Maybe that won't mean much in real world usage, but it's another thing to be aware of.

A couple of years ago I was considering a NEX in order to have focus peaking in a small body (even though the adapter somewhat nullified the gain), but decided against it (awkward menu structure, it was a Sony - "the" brand of lost causes and failed standards -, and this adapter issue), and bought a K-01...
MASSIVE DEGRADATION OMG OMG DISASTROUSSSSS or

QuoteOriginally posted by Roger Cicala:
What Does It Mean in the Real World?

Like a lot of laboratory testing, probably not a lot. Adapters couldn’t all stink or people wouldn’t use them. Like a lot of tests, you can detect a very real difference in the lab that doesn’t make much difference at all in the real world.
10-20-2014, 01:36 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
MASSIVE DEGRADATION OMG OMG DISASTROUSSSSS or
Hey, mister "all caps", which part of "Maybe that won't mean much in real world usage" you didn't read or understand?
Just pointing out some bit of knowledge I came to acquire.
Your post, on the contrary, doesn't bring much to the discussion apart for repeating what I already said myself...