Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
10-20-2014, 01:49 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Hey, mister "all caps", which part of "Maybe that won't mean much in real world usage" you didn't read or understand?
Just pointing out some bit of knowledge I came to acquire.
Your post, on the contrary, doesn't bring much to the discussion apart for repeating what I already said myself...
No where does Roger use the word massive. That is an over exaggeration on your part.

10-20-2014, 02:07 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
No where does Roger use the word massive. That is an over exaggeration on your part.
Well... I believe that a drop from 0.9 to 0 in a graph should be called "massive"...
You can't divide by zero, as I'm sure you know, but the limit of 0.9/0 is infinity... more massive than that I don't know...
10-20-2014, 02:12 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I just bought an a6000 kit for its small size and APS-C sensor, along with three really nice E-mount lenses (Zeiss Touit & Sigma Art). I also bought an RJ Lens Turbo (updated version with supposedly better corners) to use with my A, FA and D FA lenses. My experience with the Turbo was disappointing, it loses quite a bit of sharpness in the corners compared to the same lenses on my K-3. I didn't feel I gained much. Most of the time the theoretical extra stop wasn't a worthwhile trade for resolution and contrast. Besides, I have all the same focal lengths covered in good quality APS-C lenses.

I agree with the others, we need to know more about what you're trying to achieve vs. your Pentax kit. If it's small size, you're on the right track. I frequently carry two bodies. I can fit my K-3 and the a6000 with a couple of spare lenses in one mid-sized messenger bag, or I can carry the a6000 kit and a couple of spare lenses, in a bag that's too small for one DSLR. If it's because you want a small FF (A7 family) and native lenses, go for it. Any other motivation may not be worthwhile.
10-20-2014, 02:45 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobpur Quote
Good new though, Fotodiox now sells replacement E camera mounts that are not plastic like the originals..... no more wiggly lens.
I would look at the Novaflex as the quality seems quite good. Pricey though.

http://www.google.ca/aclk?sa=l&ai=C-bR3CYJFVOXiAcfspAO5k4GwDeL82NAFsv_q5cgBq...%3DCAD&cad=rja

---------- Post added 10-20-14 at 05:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Just curious but what is the motivation to move to Sony? I can understand the a7 series if you want to go FF but otherwise?

Honestly looking for what the advantage would be.
No functional or technical photographic advantage to Sony bodies over Pentax bodies.

In my view. I would consider getting a Sony body as I'm starting to wonder how much longer Pentax will be around. Just in the past short while, I've noted that more camera stores, seem to be not stocking the Pentax...or Ricoh... in my neck of the woods.

When I asked why, the answer is that Pentax- Ricoh products are not selling well, compared to just about everything well.

I'm a committed Pentaxian, but I'm also looking for Plan B for the future. I don't want to switch systems at this point, but I also think that lenses generally last longer than bodies and thinking towards the future, maybe the best decision is to get a body from a manufacturer that I feel will still be around. So a Sony body with a really good convertor (Novoflex) which will allow me to continue using my fine Pentax lenses over the coming years. I'll still ....hopefully...still have my current three Pentax bodies, but I don't think it would be a good idea for me to replace any of them with another Pentax body. So Sony bodies seem to be the best idea.

I hope I'm wrong and that Ricoh starts improving the marketing of Pentax...and Ricoh bodies and rebuilds the confidence. Problem I have...is I still think Pentax makes among the best (the best for their price range) bodies...and lenses...out there. But it's the nagging confidence factor I'm dealing with and I'm not a rich guy. I have to make the best of the equipment I have and continue to make it as serviceable as I can...given my budget.

I'm really unhappy to be thinking this way, but I haven't seen any evidence to make me think that I'm wrong.

I hope Ricoh reads the Pentax forum and realize what a gem (Pentax) they have....but that they need to step up their marketing plan.

10-20-2014, 05:03 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I went through a similar thought process four or five years ago. I haven't seen Pentax in a local camera store since the 90s, so that stopped being a factor in my brand confidence long, long ago. Around here, it's been online or nothing.

The conclusion I came to was that there wasn't much point in trying to use my DA-compatible lenses on other bodies (probably was looking at u4/3 at the time). The loss of AF, having to manually focus on lenses with short focus throws, and no automatic aperture control would make it worse than using my vintage manual glass. So I decided to wait and see.

IMHO, Pentax looks stronger now than it did then - from a two body lineup to three (or more, depending on how you count them), and an increased pace of new releases. It's clear that Ricoh is focused on the Japanese market (for now), but I have seen Pentax products (including a white K-50) in local Target stores. And while there are more choices in mounts, the same issues are there.

I can understand having a Plan B, but unless you also plan on buying lenses in the other system and really making the jump, I don't see much benefit of having a body that uses your Pentax lenses poorly while Pentax is still in business. Even if Ricoh were to give up on Pentax, there would be plenty of time to shop for another body and adapter.
10-20-2014, 05:35 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I've got three Pentax DSLR bodies and about 10 + Pentax digital lens (lost count).

So far ...all equipment running well. However if one of the bodies 'conks' out I'm thinking of replacing it with a Sony body and a Novaflex lens mount system that allows Pentax K mount lenses to be used on the Sony camera mount.

So what do you think ? Good idea or any pitfalls ?

Which Sony body would you recommend?

I have the Pentax 18-55,16-45, 10-17 Fisheye, 50 F 1.4, 50 Macro F 2.8, 12-24, 18-135, 55-300, 40, 21 and 70 Limiteds...Sigma 150-500.

Will I lose the AF focus of my Pentax lenses when coupled...via Novaflex adaptor...with the Sony body ?
Lesmore49, I am with you on this... I have the k-5, k-5IIs, k-01 and Q now. At some point, I will add a k-3 and/or a FF camera. When I had the k-7 (which I sold) years ago, I craved for a FF as the high-iso noise on k-7 just did not cut it for me. I do lots of events and stage photography and often shooting along side with many Canikon users. And I have consistently produced better pictures from the k-5IIs compare to others who uses other brands.

I think I will eventually get a FF (hopefully Pentax) even if I upgrade to the k-3 (ability to crop and better metering and AF). Although, like you, it is also tempting to get a Sony FF body to use my Pentax lenses and other MF lenses, but I just don't feel right about losing AF and shake reduction for little gain of FF feel. If it is a FF, I would rather have a Pentax with full feature support on my lenses - it would also be a dream, if that also provide better support for MF lenses (which I have abundance of).

Of course, If you think you need it now, Sony body may be probably a good option. But I rather save the money on a Pentax model (even if it is in the future) to take full advantage of the features. OTOH, if Ricoh definitively declare that FF project is no longer viable for the company in order to protect k-3 and 645z sales, then, I will use that money for a Sony body like you do now. So, I will be interested in what you will be getting....
10-20-2014, 05:39 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In my view. I would consider getting a Sony body as I'm starting to wonder how much longer Pentax will be around. Just in the past short while, I've noted that more camera stores, seem to be not stocking the Pentax...or Ricoh... in my neck of the woods.
Sad you feel that way, but easy to understand. Ricoh does seem to be focused on other markets than N. America. That might change, or not. And if they continue to focus on other areas then the products they come out with in the future might not match what you want anymore.

I agree with THoog though. Not really any point in considering a new brand plus adapter. You've got a nice set of lenses but if you are going to change brands better to sell them off and buy into the new brand 100%. I don't see how you will be happy using an adapter. Just MHO.

And I've no intention of being a cheerleader but honestly Pentax has a much better chance of survival now than they did in 2009 or so. You've been around awhile, all the rumors on this forum at that time dealt with if there would ever be another 'K' body. No one even thinking that at this time.

Anyway, if you want advice, and want a change, make the change. Sell your k-mount stuff and get something you are happy with. Sony is one option, Fuji has some cool stuff as well. Panasonic GH-4 is pretty cool too.

10-20-2014, 05:58 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I hope Ricoh reads the Pentax forum and realize what a gem (Pentax) they have....but that they need to step up their marketing plan.
Lesmore49, I misread you post earlier and I just realised you just want to have that FF look and feel, therefore, Sony body may be a viable option to go....

But as I read more, you are worried about Pentax/Ricoh going under like Minolta and old Canon mount.. which of course are worth a lot less than they were in the hay days... Let me share my thoughts with you as I go to Japan often (relative living there). Ricoh/Pentax presence is in every major camera store in Tokyo and other cities, and bill board signs are all over the places, especially the Q camera. So, in deed, back home there is not much presence in Best Buy, Future shop, Walmart and Target, but they should be available in Henrys and other major B&M stores. There are lots of reasons why Ricoh/Pentax does not wish to spend tons of marketing money here in North America because they consider this move will bring very little return for the money they spend. Their focus in the emerging market such as India, China and Japan, not in North America, IMHO.
10-20-2014, 06:39 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Lesmore49, I misread you post earlier and I just realised you just want to have that FF look and feel, therefore, Sony body may be a viable option to go....

But as I read more, you are worried about Pentax/Ricoh going under like Minolta and old Canon mount.. which of course are worth a lot less than they were in the hay days... Let me share my thoughts with you as I go to Japan often (relative living there). Ricoh/Pentax presence is in every major camera store in Tokyo and other cities, and bill board signs are all over the places, especially the Q camera. So, in deed, back home there is not much presence in Best Buy, Future shop, Walmart and Target, but they should be available in Henrys and other major B&M stores. There are lots of reasons why Ricoh/Pentax does not wish to spend tons of marketing money here in North America because they consider this move will bring very little return for the money they spend. Their focus in the emerging market such as India, China and Japan, not in North America, IMHO.
Yes, I am worried about Ricoh/Pentax not being a presence in North America. I've been a solid Pentax buyer since 1968, when I bought my first SLR...an S1a.

One of the camera shops that I was in a short while ago...was Henry's They've removed their Pentax display. That does cause concern for me.

I'm pleased to hear that Ricoh/Pentax are doing well in Japan and have a strong presence there.

---------- Post added 10-20-14 at 08:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Sad you feel that way, but easy to understand. Ricoh does seem to be focused on other markets than N. America. That might change, or not. And if they continue to focus on other areas then the products they come out with in the future might not match what you want anymore.

I agree with THoog though. Not really any point in considering a new brand plus adapter. You've got a nice set of lenses but if you are going to change brands better to sell them off and buy into the new brand 100%. I don't see how you will be happy using an adapter. Just MHO.

I know I could do that...sell off all my Pentax equipment and go into another brand. If I did that, it would probably be Nikon. But I do not want to, as I'm pleased with how well my Pentax equipment functions. The final product, the picture is wonderful....and that is why I would at least want to stay with Pentax lenses. However it's discouraging to hear from other posters that in their opinion, the Sony body, coupled with Pentax lenses...is not entirely satisfactory.

And I've no intention of being a cheerleader but honestly Pentax has a much better chance of survival now than they did in 2009 or so. You've been around awhile, all the rumors on this forum at that time dealt with if there would ever be another 'K' body. No one even thinking that at this time.

Anyway, if you want advice, and want a change, make the change. Sell your k-mount stuff and get something you are happy with. Sony is one option, Fuji has some cool stuff as well. Panasonic GH-4 is pretty cool too.
I've been with Pentax too long to change this system completely. At this point it's a wait and see.
10-21-2014, 12:47 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Quite a few issues brought up here and some misconceptions.
So here is my user experience.

Firstly on the risk of Pentax going the way of the dodo.
IMO, Sony has gone there first with the lack of activity on their A-mount and perhaps also E-mount and shift towards FE mount.
So who really knows the future.
It would have seemed the Minolta legacy was in good strong hands when they were taken over by Sony.
The other thing to find comfort in is that the mostly mechanical Pentax lenses are not that hard to adapt on various cameras (Canon; FujiX, NEX, A7 )
Think about the all electronic lenses from Sony E/FE mount and Canon EOS mount.
Either more reverse engineering to adapt should these 2 companies give up on making cameras or give up on their respective mounts.
Pentax, regardless of the poor showing every other camera show, has given a winner in each category when they choose to release something (K3; 645Z; Q7; arguably K50 with WR, pentaprism and features at its price point)

Ok, now on to moving to Sony.
There won't be any AF, so if you need and prefer AF, this is not the way to go.
There is also not much advantage if you move to a Sony APS-C body.
The only advantage here is focus peaking and evf for magnification during MF.

Sony does not seem to get it right when it comes to making a camera that is well thought out in features and photographic flow/handling of the camera.
Technologically competent, but photographically inept.
Eg.
1. Fix bracketing options
2. Menu digging to turn remote on
3. poor file naming options
4. sensor reflection
5. slow shutter reaction on A7r
6. shutter vibration on A7r
7. etc

That said, if you like MF and legacy lenses, the system is very good for it mainly because of the small form factor and the focus peaking, stopped down metering and magnification for focus.
It beats the best that there is for focusing screens (the Canon precision EE-S screen, which I used before on the 5D)

The Sony A7 system is the most worth to get for the Pentax lenses imo. (FF benefits and MF aids as mentioned before, something that an existing Pentax camera cannot offer)
I have documented the use of Pentax lenses on the A7 in a few threads here.
The thing about adapters affecting quality, I think its negligible in real use esp with the lower pixel density A7 (the 36mp A7r, probably more issues due to pixel density, which can be very punishing on poor technique, legacy lenses on the off center areas )
I have posted many samples in the "Does my Pentax lenses work on FF" thread and also the "Pentax lenses on FF" lens club.
Unlike some disgruntled former users here, my take away message is different (its not to stay here and say "I've jumped ship and all you guys are suckers").
The Pentax lenses work on FF, and they work well.
In fact, having played around with quite a few other brand lenses, I'd say that they are 'up there' with the best of other brands.
Top that up with the smallish size of the Pentax lenses, and I would even say that the Pentax lenses make the most sense on a smallish camera body like the A7 (More than most SLR lenses from other brands and generally less problematic then the smaller RF ones).

Take this rumour what you will, but I was told by the local Pentax service personnel that his boss went over to Photokina and asked the FF question (worried about future products and sales)
They were told that it was coming next year.
Whether this is the existing rumor or little info (the 'still thinking about it' answer in interviews) that feeds into this rumor, I don't know.
But then again, if its a Pentax FF DSLR, then it will get convenient AF and good Pentax features and handling, but I doubt it beats an EVF for MF lenses with the focus peaking and magnification.

Links to related threads:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/169-pentax-full-frame/246917-does-my-m42-...ses+work+on+ff

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/247282-pentax-lenses-ff-cl...ses+on+FF+club

Last edited by pinholecam; 10-21-2014 at 04:01 AM.
10-21-2014, 09:26 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looking at lesmore49's list of lenses, only four of the primes will work with FF without excessive vignetting, which kind of limits the benefits of the A7x family to the better grip and integrated EVF. Trying to manual-focus the longer zooms on an handheld NEX-style body (especially one without an EVF) would probably get old fast. Sony appears to have dropped the add-on EVF concept.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with the Novoflex adapter, on lenses without an aperture ring, choosing an aperture is going to be guesswork. The ring on the Novoflex is clickless and just marked 'open' and 'close'. That would irritate me.
10-21-2014, 10:05 AM   #27
Pentaxian

The first thing I realized when I was going down this path a few months ago, looking at an A7r was that yes I could get images with my Pentax glass, maybe, people have discussed some internal mechanics issues with the A7r that seem to prevent it from producing max. resolution images with any lens or adapter. But I realized, to make best use of the camera, I'd really have to buy compatible lenses.

The technical issues with the A7 series leave me wondering if it wouldn't be better to wait until it's upgraded. But Sony is a company where they may kill it before they upgrade it.

IN the long run, I decided, I don't need FF, I'd only buy a Pentax one, if I thought it would play nice with what I own. Buying another company's body is in the long run a commitment to that company. I'd have serious issues committing to Sony. They're flakes. Looking through the A7 lens line up was scary...theyre good lenses, but very pricey. it would take years to have a decent comparable line up, even if I sold all my APS-c stuff.

SO, my A7r dreams are on hold until I see what Pentax comes up with. OF course if I saw one under $1300 I might buy one just to play with it... I don't mind giving a piece of gear a chance on my dime if I feel it might prove useful. There's a limit to how much I'll gamble.
10-21-2014, 11:23 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The first thing I realized when I was going down this path a few months ago, looking at an A7r was that yes I could get images with my Pentax glass, maybe, people have discussed some internal mechanics issues with the A7r that seem to prevent it from producing max. resolution images with any lens or adapter. But I realized, to make best use of the camera, I'd really have to buy compatible lenses.

The technical issues with the A7 series leave me wondering if it wouldn't be better to wait until it's upgraded. But Sony is a company where they may kill it before they upgrade it.
Thanks for your advice. In reading the responses this seems to be other people's experiences (not completely satisfying image resolution)and I'm glad to know this, before I spend money and go this course...that I was considering.

IN the long run, I decided, I don't need FF, I'd only buy a Pentax one, if I thought it would play nice with what I own. Buying another company's body is in the long run a commitment to that company. I'd have serious issues committing to Sony. They're flakes. Looking through the A7 lens line up was scary...theyre good lenses, but very pricey. it would take years to have a decent comparable line up, even if I sold all my APS-c stuff.

Exactly the same boat I'm in with my ASP-C stuff. I'm more than happy with my K10D, K-m and K5's performance with my Pentax and Sigma lenses. I really don't want to leave Pentax, as I've had Pentax equipment, since '68 and have always been happy with both film and digital equipment from this make.

My dilemma:

On one hand I don't want to be stuck with 'orphan' equipment should Pentax disappear. That's why I was considering adapting my Pentax/Sigma lenses to another body.

But on the other hand, I'm no spring chicken at 65 YO....and if I'm lucky, I hope to have at least 20-25 years left in me, to pursue my passion of photography.I'm hoping my Pentax equipment I have now, lasts me for the next couple decades. I know, even though the equipment I have is durable and robust, that maybe asking too much. I hope Ricoh keeps producing...and marketing... Pentax equipment in the future, that is on a par (with evolving improvements) of what is available now. I know there are no guarantees in life. I suppose if...at 75-80 years old (touch wood) I find that my Pentax/Sigma camera equipment all dies on me...and Pentax isn't on the future market....then I might look at replacing it with one Nikon or Canon body and a flash, wide angle, portrait macro and telephoto zoom. In other words...keep it basic.

SO, my A7r dreams are on hold until I see what Pentax comes up with. OF course if I saw one under $1300 I might buy one just to play with it... I don't mind giving a piece of gear a chance on my dime if I feel it might prove useful. There's a limit to how much I'll gamble.
One question, Norm. As a fellow Canadian, what has been your latest experience and what is your opinion.... with Ricoh-Pentax marketing in Canada and in your part of Canada ?. Do you thin they're here to stay ? Do you think they are regrouping ? What's your view of the future of Ricoh-Pentax in the Canadian market? Thank you in advance.
10-21-2014, 11:31 AM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
I'd check this article by Roger Cicala, talking about image degradation when using adapters, just google it:
"There Is No Free Lunch, Episode 763: Lens Adapters"

Short story is that no adapter (and he tested branded, expensive ones) would be exempt from a massive degradation of image quality, mainly because of slight misalignments which are inevitable when using it.
Maybe that won't mean much in real world usage, but it's another thing to be aware of.

A couple of years ago I was considering a NEX in order to have focus peaking in a small body (even though the adapter somewhat nullified the gain), but decided against it (awkward menu structure, it was a Sony - "the" brand of lost causes and failed standards -, and this adapter issue), and bought a K-01...
I was using a 55mm pentax on my fuji recently and noticed that when i focus to infinity its much softer then it use to be. However subjects closer then infinity were tack sharp.
10-21-2014, 11:33 AM   #30

Will I lose the AF focus of my Pentax lenses when coupled...via Novaflex adaptor...with the Sony body ?
Of course. The only lenses that can currently be AF coupled are Canon EF via the Metabones adapter. If there's not a chip translating the AF protocols, you focus it yourself.

Sony puts "focus peaking" on to help with that - the in-focus areas light up with sparkles so you know if you're on target.

The only exception is Sony's "native" A-mount adapter, which does give AF. They're still not cheap, and at least a while back AF performance was not very good. Might have improved with on-sensor PDAF - the A6000 (I think that's what I tried) seemed pretty snappy with native E-mount lenses.

QuoteQuote:
So what do you think ? Good idea or any pitfalls ?
Well, sony's first-party lens system is garbage, both APS-C and full frame. Their R&D lead is a noted ADD spaz who "gets a new idea every 6 months" and it shows in the way they tend to leap from product to product without ever really fully developing them. Most people who are happy with Sony's MILCs either do not have very demanding lens requirements, or are adapting a lot of glass.

I switched from a Canon 40D to a NEX-5N and I'm happy. I did it for budget reasons - $400 buys you a 16mp body, a normal lens (Sigma 30/2.8), and a kit zoom (18-55 OSS). It's new enough to shoot high ISO very reasonably, it shoots 720p video decently, and I can stick old glass in front of it to fart around with. The Sigma 19/2.8 would complete my lens kit, if I could find one cheap...

It works for me, I can stick all my favorites on it and go to town. Samyang 35/1.4, Nikkor 105/2.5, Pentax 35/3.5, 135/2.5, etc. I love available light shooting, and with a Samyang 35/1.4 and the potential to punch things up to 6400 or 12800 and get something workable I can shoot in some pretty dark places.

One other pitfall: the LCD screens are not very tough and will easily be scratched by, say, rabbitears on a nikon lens. Ask me how I know this.

QuoteOriginally posted by buttons Quote
I was using a 55mm pentax on my fuji recently and noticed that when i focus to infinity its much softer then it use to be. However subjects closer then infinity were tack sharp.
Check your adapter - I recently had this happen when the faceplate on one of my Fotodiox adapters came loose. It's held in by 3 screws, 1 was gone, 1 was super loose, and the last was starting to work loose. I tightened the 2 remaining screws down and that fixed it for now.

Last edited by Paul MaudDib; 10-21-2014 at 01:12 PM.