Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2014, 04:25 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No automation but with a manual aperture control. It's well made though.

11-13-2014, 08:48 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This page is very recent, so I don't think it's been publicly mentioned yet:
NX1 Smart Camera, 28.2 MP, 3 Super AMOLED Touch - Samsung UK

Be sure to click on all the "Next" and "+" to see the full info.

Firmware v1.01 is dated 10th Nov 2014.

The camera looks like it will be marketed as a class-leading APS-C model.

Also a link to the 50-150/F2.8 S ED OIS zoom lens:
http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/smart-camera-camcorder/lenses/zoom-lenses/EX-ZS50150ABEP

Dan.
11-13-2014, 08:54 PM   #18
Veteran Member

It looks like a canon camera with Samsung labeled on it
11-13-2014, 10:16 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
The camera looks like it will be marketed as a class-leading APS-C model.
Priced accordingly too: pre-order price AUD $1867 (body only) at Digital Camera Warehouse Australia (get a free battery grip!) The 16-50 f2 - 2.8 zoom is $1398 and the 50-150 is $1730. Ouch. Cheapest NX prime is a 30mm f2 pancake for $429 ...

The NX1 body is still cheaper than the 'pro' Canon 7D II though, by almost $500.

11-14-2014, 09:35 AM   #20
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
I don't need AF either, but I really prefer to focus with the lens wide-open and have the aperture stop-down only when I hit the shutter.
the only reason that you have to stop-down is because you are using an optical viewfinder.

the nx1 has an oled evf, so it should have a wysiwyg display, which means that what you see in the evf is what you'll see in the photo... evf displays turn up the gain to compensate for poor lighting and dark aperture choices, which makes them far superior for manual focusing with old glass.

samsung is saying the screen in back is a Super AMOLED w/Touch Screen, which is what smartphones use... it could be better than the lcd displays that most cameras have, in bright light?
11-17-2014, 03:47 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Samsung to drop NX1 prices in January (preorders lower than expected). | Mirrorless Rumors
11-17-2014, 04:40 PM   #22
Veteran Member

In looking at the NX-1 specs as they trickle out, the NX-1 AF sensitivity is -4 to 20 EV. Not coincidentally, the same as competitors like the Panasonic GH-4 and Sony A7s.

Exposure metering is still only 0-18 EV though for the NX-1. I often wonder about the utility of being able to AF down as low as -4 EV, but the camera not being able to effectively meter the scene.

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Samsung to drop NX1 prices in January (preorders lower than expected). | Mirrorless Rumors
Interesting. Even before it hits the stores, they are dropping prices just on the basis of pre-order volumes? Seems premature.

For a brand that few DSLR shooters have experience with, with no complete reviews out there yet, with product details only trickling out, and of course no product in store for people to handle yet, you would expect that pre-orders would be weak.

If I was a likely NX-1 shooter though, it sounds like great news.

11-17-2014, 05:28 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
In looking at the NX-1 specs as they trickle out, the NX-1 AF sensitivity is -4 to 20 EV. Not coincidentally, the same as competitors like the Panasonic GH-4 and Sony A7s.

Exposure metering is still only 0-18 EV though for the NX-1. I often wonder about the utility of being able to AF down as low as -4 EV, but the camera not being able to effectively meter the scene.

Interesting. Even before it hits the stores, they are dropping prices just on the basis of pre-order volumes? Seems premature.

For a brand that few DSLR shooters have experience with, with no complete reviews out there yet, with product details only trickling out, and of course no product in store for people to handle yet, you would expect that pre-orders would be weak.

If I was a likely NX-1 shooter though, it sounds like great news.
I think people want to wait for the reviews to see if performance lives up to the hype. Samsung doesn't have the reputation needed among photographers in the $1,500 price category. Like Sony, Samsung really needs to focus on glass to get the attention of higher end photographers. They have some real gems right now, but just not enough of them. Fuji seems to be the only one getting it right.

Being able to AF down to -4Ev really only has value to people using strobes since they will set everything, including white balance, manually. -4EV is something like a 2 minute exposure at ISO 100 - F/2.8. So unless you are using a strobe its not very practical.
11-17-2014, 05:48 PM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I think people want to wait for the reviews to see if performance lives up to the hype.
Here's the first review: https://www.mastercard.com/global/currencyconversion/index.html

Edit: Wrong link. Try this one: Samsung NX1 Digital Camera Review - Reviewed.com Cameras

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 11-17-2014 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Wrong link
11-17-2014, 06:02 PM   #25
Veteran Member

When did Mastercard start doing camera reviews?
11-17-2014, 06:03 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Here's the first review
I don't like that reviewer. He always gives very bad reviews.
11-17-2014, 06:06 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Sorry, try this link:

Samsung NX1 Digital Camera Review - Reviewed.com Cameras

Dan
11-17-2014, 06:17 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
evf displays turn up the gain to compensate for poor lighting and dark aperture choices, which makes them far superior for manual focusing with old glass.
The only reason to focus manually at a stopped down taking aperture
would be if you're just stopping down one or two stops on a fast lens with focus shift.

Otherwise, the focus will be much less accurate.
11-18-2014, 02:35 PM   #29
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
The only reason to focus manually at a stopped down taking aperture
would be if you're just stopping down one or two stops on a fast lens with focus shift.
when you shoot at the same aperture that you focused at, it's the ultimate in accuracy, because focus shift is eliminated.

a dslr with ovf can't do that in lower light conditions, the aperture has to be opened up in order to see, as Doundounba outlined above.

i don't know if that is 100% applicable to mirrorless cameras in low-light conditions, using autofocus, because i don't use autofocus.

i have seen really bad focus shift in legacy 50mm primes, going from f/1.4 to the next stop up... but it's not nearly as bad when the focusing happens above wide open.

---------- Post added 11-18-2014 at 01:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I don't like that reviewer. He always gives very bad reviews.
he's not the sharpest tool in the shed his advice to transcode to h.264 as an intermediate codec, in order to edit nx1 video, was something that only a noob would say.
11-18-2014, 03:25 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
the only reason that you have to stop-down is because you are using an optical viewfinder.
Actually, this is not correct, and I never use a viewfinder. I shoot using a K-01, which has neither an EVF nor an OVF.

We were discussing the possible use of adapted Pentax lenses on the NX1. I was pointing out that the Samsung P/K to NX adapter has no linkages between the body and lens, and so you will be shooting with the lens stopped down. There is no other choice. For regular usage, this might not pose too much of an issue, but for macro it's a bigger problem.

QuoteQuote:
evf displays turn up the gain to compensate for poor lighting and dark aperture choices, which makes them far superior for manual focusing with old glass.
Yes, the K-01 does the same with its LCD too, but there is a limit. When I do have to stop down prior to shooting - like when I use a reversed lens on extension tubes - let me tell you that at F/16 (or higher), unless your subject is in direct and very strong sunlight, you pretty much don't see a thing in the LCD and it's impossible to even find the critter you're trying to shoot. (This would be true with an OVF as well - even worse!) This problem - as well as focus precision in order to nail focus on the eyes - is why I prefer to shoot with a macro lens that is linked to the body and that only stops down when I hit the shutter. That means either a native system lens or a lens from a system for which there exist "smart adapters" for your body. An example of this is micro four thirds cameras and four thirds lenses. With the proper adapter you can, for example, mount a four-third Sigma 105mm macro onto a m4/3 body and get in-body aperture control (and even AF, in this particular case).

So, for the Samsung NX system, the only macro lens for which you get in-body aperture control and wide-open focusing with automatic iris closure to appropriate F-stop when the shutter is hit is the native Samsung 60mm F/2.8 macro. I'm sure it's a wonderful lens, but it's pretty short. I'd like at least a 90mm. On K-mount, I can pick from at least 5-6 different 90-105mm 1:1 macros, and also some longer 150mm-200mm full-on 1:1 macros. For a macro shooter, that's a wonderful system to be in, and the only mirrorless system so far to come close is m4/3, where you get a native 60mm macro (FoV equivalent to an 80mm lens on APS-C) and can use 4/3s macro lenses.

Certainly for me, the NX1 looks like the most appealing body out there right now, and I can't wait to see some reviews. But as macro is my main thing, switching seems a little... impractical.