Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-18-2014, 03:56 PM   #31
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
We were discussing the possible use of adapted Pentax lenses on the NX1. I was pointing out that the Samsung P/K to NX adapter has no linkages between the body and lens, and so you will be shooting with the lens stopped down. There is no other choice. For regular usage, this might not pose too much of an issue, but for macro it's a bigger problem.
i see what you are saying... you have to operate the k-01 like it's an ovf camera, but it's not.

i have at least a dozen adapters for the a7r, no electrical connection on any of 'em, i shoot macro without changing the aperture at all, it works great... and btw, i think that the nx1 has a bunch of adapters as well, not just a samsung to k mount adapter.

the issues that you described are strictly due to the limitations of the lcd, they are not relevant to the same functionality on an oled evf... evf's never wash out in bright light, they turn up the gain if the picture coming through the lens is dark... so you always see what the exposure/dof will look like in the photo you take, no need to ever open up the aperture to set the focus.

so you don't need any kind of auto functionality between the lens and the body, and for macro work, you don't want it anyway, evf manual focus with magnification is far more accurate.

beyond that, the nx1 has an oled cell phone screen in back, as i already posted... it's not an lcd like we have, so even if you didn't use the nx1 evf, you'd still have far better functionality with the back screen than what you have now... but i would still use the evf.

yes, even the a7 series doesn't have an oled screen in back, it's an lcd.

11-19-2014, 01:40 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Samsung NX-1 User Manual is available now, in English / Spanish / Korean:

Samsung NX-1 support

It is, by the way, an excellently laid out manual. Useful information attractively presented. Pentax has a lot to learn.
11-20-2014, 03:41 PM   #33
Veteran Member

I just been looking and reading some news and reviews about this Samsung camera and today, I have seen some remarkable images and videos. it seems like Samsung finally made one hell of camera. I am very tempted on getting one soon and if I weren't a bit short, I might have ordered one from Korea by now. or anywhere it is available. I am not sure when or if they have some stocks from Henry's or anywhere in Canada. maybe at BestBuy or Futureshop perhaps?
11-20-2014, 03:50 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just read a little about this camera and its certainly interesting. Looks good, nice clean buttons and dials. Main concern is the mount and lenses. Anyone else now wish Samsung would have kept K-mount?

11-20-2014, 06:50 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I just read a little about this camera and its certainly interesting. Looks good, nice clean buttons and dials. Main concern is the mount and lenses. Anyone else now wish Samsung would have kept K-mount?
Samsung have the blueprints or partial rights to it on how to make Pentax quality lenses due to the partnership with Pentax more than a decade ago and have close relations with Schneider-K which is pretty much Samsung lenses. I don't think Samsung would need a redundancy with rebadged lens with similar optics or something that is of previous design than their improved cheaper Samsung counterparts. I heard that their premium zoom lenses are top quality and from the pictures shown appear to be really high resolving sharp lenses. I think those are more attractive especially the F2 opening of the 16-50 and the 150mm reach and focus limiter of the telezoom. but ultimately, the news about the AF to be silent and blazing fast compared to Pentax SDM. so why would they keep K-mount?
11-21-2014, 03:28 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I think those are more attractive especially the F2 opening of the 16-50 and the 150mm reach and focus limiter of the telezoom. but ultimately, the news about the AF to be silent and blazing fast compared to Pentax SDM. so why would they keep K-mount?
Because even though Samsung might have some great lenses, its still a very small lineup on a relatively obscure mount and most (if not all) of those things you listed could be done with K-mount as well - but using K-mount would give them an advantage regarding lens options and capturing those that abandon Pentax, but still want to use their K-mount lenses. Samsung could still move away from SDM, or add focus limiters, make f2 lenses for K-mount. And if Samsung remained K-mount, they could sell the good lenses to Pentaxians as well. To me, the question is why go from K-mount to some other mount that "nobody" is using. Its not like Samsung had a big user base or long tradition of SLRs, and switching mounts does not increase loyalty either. But Samsung can afford to muck about and start their own way, I guess. Samsung is similar to Sony in that regard, they can throw money at it until their products hit some sweet spots
11-21-2014, 04:53 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Because even though Samsung might have some great lenses, its still a very small lineup on a relatively obscure mount and most (if not all) of those things you listed could be done with K-mount as well - but using K-mount would give them an advantage regarding lens options and capturing those that abandon Pentax, but still want to use their K-mount lenses. Samsung could still move away from SDM, or add focus limiters, make f2 lenses for K-mount. And if Samsung remained K-mount, they could sell the good lenses to Pentaxians as well. To me, the question is why go from K-mount to some other mount that "nobody" is using. Its not like Samsung had a big user base or long tradition of SLRs, and switching mounts does not increase loyalty either. But Samsung can afford to muck about and start their own way, I guess. Samsung is similar to Sony in that regard, they can throw money at it until their products hit some sweet spots
Well, the answer is quite easy, they wanted a shorter flange distance to make smaller cameras. Add to that that they did the same thing as Canon and made it completely electronic and you take away both production cost and further size/weight. A NX camera with a pancake mounted is about as thick as just the K-mount flange distance, making it pocketable.

11-21-2014, 07:59 AM   #38
Veteran Member

I don't think the Pentax user base is large enough for Samsung to invest in K mount. besides, if it was huge, they would have not have abandoned their partnership with Pentax. Samsung might have even bought Pentax. but I guess Samsung has other plans, and that it to create and sell their own product line after getting the much needed optical knowledge from Pentax. in comparison to Samsung and Pentax lens lineup, both systems are not far away from having the similar number of AF supported lenses (DA and FA, stars and limited). I don't really count the old FA lenses as they are far too scarce and only a lucky few of them owners out there.so if Pentax users really want to use their lenses on the Samsung camera, they can always use an adaptor as the NX cameras to support the K-mount lenses, just not electronically.

I'm not to sure about the number of Samsung camera owners versus Pentax camera owners, but the sales trend for the past few years and from that stats, show significant number of Samsung camera sales versus Pentax camera sales despite Pentax having a more established user base.
11-21-2014, 09:24 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I don't think the Pentax user base is large enough for Samsung to invest in K mount. besides, if it was huge, they would have not have abandoned their partnership with Pentax. Samsung might have even bought Pentax. but I guess Samsung has other plans, and that it to create and sell their own product line after getting the much needed optical knowledge from Pentax. in comparison to Samsung and Pentax lens lineup, both systems are not far away from having the similar number of AF supported lenses (DA and FA, stars and limited). I don't really count the old FA lenses as they are far too scarce and only a lucky few of them owners out there.so if Pentax users really want to use their lenses on the Samsung camera, they can always use an adaptor as the NX cameras to support the K-mount lenses, just not electronically.

I'm not to sure about the number of Samsung camera owners versus Pentax camera owners, but the sales trend for the past few years and from that stats, show significant number of Samsung camera sales versus Pentax camera sales despite Pentax having a more established user base.
I think Samsung knew that mirrorless was the direction they wanted to go. No reason to invest in a company that is tied to old technology.
12-08-2014, 07:38 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've also been keeping an eye on the NX-1 for some time now. Preliminary reviews seem positive, Great sensor, quick AF system, great processing speeds, ok buttons layout, good built quality and great interface seems to be the gist of it. The low light performance from The Camera Store Tv claims its 1.5 stop better than the K-3.

Samsung NX1 Expert Review

TheCameraStore TV hands on video review stated that the AF is inconsistent, more so in suboptimal lighting conditions.

Last edited by Stavri; 12-08-2014 at 08:32 AM.
12-08-2014, 01:48 PM   #41
Veteran Member

SLRGear have just done a review of the Samsung 16-50mm f/2-2.8 S ED OIS NX, which was released for the NX1

Results are interesting - the lens is sharp, good performance overall, but CA can be off the chart. Looks like the Lightroom CA reduction slider will be getting a workout with this lens if you shoot RAW. Luckily Lightroom 5 is bundled with the NX-1
12-10-2014, 09:35 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Just spotted a preview in popular. 30 mp, 4k without an external recorder, iso up to 51,200. Consider me intrigued. The 15 fps is cool but kind of seems like overkill . My o
12-11-2014, 09:41 AM   #43
osv
Veteran Member

the h.265 video codec issue is problematic, not a lot of software can handle it natively... same thing when h.264 hit the streets.

i was on the sony vegas pro forum last month asking when they would start supporting it, no one had a clue.

these companies have known that h.265 was coming for over a year now.
12-11-2014, 01:07 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
the h.265 video codec issue is problematic, not a lot of software can handle it natively... same thing when h.264 hit the streets.

i was on the sony vegas pro forum last month asking when they would start supporting it, no one had a clue.

these companies have known that h.265 was coming for over a year now.
I can't really blame Samsung for that issue though, a lot of the big software developers are simply really slow taking on new standards. It's like Adobe taking ages for even basic support for unconventional sensors, despite getting support from the sensor makers.
12-11-2014, 02:41 PM   #45
osv
Veteran Member

i like the fact that samsung is putting h.265 on this camera, it could be a solid advantage over h.264... it's just sad that you pay big $$$ for pro editing apps that don't support modern codecs like h.265, even after they've known that it's been coming for over a year now.

if you buy this camera, don't transcode the video to another lossy format, like h.264, just so that your editing software can handle it.

what's needed is an intermediate codec that's virtually lossless, like prores, or one of the high-end canopus codecs.