Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2014, 07:57 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Just wanted to add my 2 cents here.

I got a Fuji X-T1 and an X-S1 this Fall. Both lovely cameras, look good, feel nice in the hand, take decent pictures. The X-S1 I got for a song from a camera store closing down. The X-T1 I got at full price, with newest 18-135mm lens.

As I said both take nice pictures, but the X-S1 is a better value. Fuji's interchangeable lens cameras are simply NOT as good as a proper DSLR in performance nor IQ. In particular, the X-T1 SUCKS at low light AF. If you need AF performance in low light get a Canon. My 70D runs rings around the Fuji after it gets dark.

Just my 2 cents.

12-06-2014, 10:27 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Interesting. Not much of an article really but I admit that the bokeh does look nicer (at least to my eyes) on the APD version, more dreamlike image overall. Not sure if that lens is quite worth that hefty price though. I think I might rather have a used FA85 f1.4 for around the same price.
12-09-2014, 12:42 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bought my Fuji since May and have been using it for over half a year now.

Honestly, I haven't touched my Pentax as much as I used to, I even sold two of my lenses because i just haven't been using them enough.

Even though the body isn't that much smaller than my K5, whenever I hold the Pentax after shooting extensively with the Fuji, right away you feel the weight and the bulk. This is the K5 we're talking about too, one of the most compact high end DSLR bodies out there.

I have the 23mm f1.4 and the 27mm f2.8. I hardly use the 27mm, and I have the 23mm on the body 95% of the time. The lens is incredible. It's quiet, well bulit (but not as well as say a FA limited), sharp, and an absolute bokeh beast. Fuji really knows how to make great lenses. Case in point, I used to have a DA 50-135mm f2.8 and it was not the most reliable lens (SDM failed during shipping of all times). The focusing was slow, it was never tact sharp wide open, and I'm constantly in fear of the SDM; is this the day the motor will fail me? The Fuji 50-140mm 2.8 looks like the lens the Pentax was suppose to be. I have 100% confidence that it will be an amazing lens, most of the early reviews share a similar consensus.

Overall, I'm very happy with the camera and I haven't found any situation (low light included) where I felt like I needed a better body to get the shot I envision in my head. 10/10, Would buy again.

Last edited by Eagle_Friends; 01-24-2015 at 12:06 AM.
12-09-2014, 01:07 PM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Eagle_Friends Quote
Bought my Fuji since May and have been using it for over half a year now.

Honestly, I haven't touched my Pentax as much as I used to, I even sold two of my lenses because i just haven't been using them enough (DFA 100mm f2.8 Macro WR and the mightly FA 43mm f1.9 Limited).

Even though the body isn't that much smaller than my K5, whenever I hold the Pentax after shooting extensively with the Fuji, right away you feel the weight and the bulk. This is the K5 we're talking about too, one of the most compact high end DSLR bodies out there.

I have the 23mm f1.4 and the 27mm f2.8. I hardly use the 27mm, and I have the 23mm on the body 95% of the time. The lens is incredible. It's quiet, well bulit (but not as well as say a FA limited), sharp, and an absolute bokeh beast. Fuji really knows how to make great lenses. Case in point, I used to have a DA 50-135mm f2.8 and it was not the most reliable lens (SDM failed during shipping of all times). The focusing was slow, it was never tact sharp wide open, and I'm constantly in fear of the SDM; is this the day the motor will fail me? The Fuji 50-140mm 2.8 looks like the lens the Pentax was suppose to be. I have 100% confidence that it will be an amazing lens, most of the early reviews share a similar consensus.

Overall, I'm very happy with the camera and I haven't found any situation (low light included) where I felt like I needed a better body to get the shot I envision in my head. 10/10, Would buy again.

Great shots, couldn't agree more on the 23, you have to try the 35 and 56, those 3 lenses on the xt1 are a perfect kit (I rarely need anything wider or longer) they are all great on the XE2 as well, but i really like keeping that as compact as possible and the 18/27/60 does that
the zooms i list arrive this week, I've tried the 50-230 before and while it's no 60-250 monster like the pentax it was surprisingly good for a cheap kit lens and I expect the 16-50 will be the same. Fuji seems to have forgotten you don't put great glass in cheap lenses

---------- Post added 9th Dec 2014 at 15:10 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
Interesting. Not much of an article really but I admit that the bokeh does look nicer (at least to my eyes) on the APD version, more dreamlike image overall. Not sure if that lens is quite worth that hefty price though. I think I might rather have a used FA85 f1.4 for around the same price.
I agree it's pricey, the 85 of course is on;ly a comparison if you have a ff to shoot it on. the real comparison is the da*55 right now and the XF56 crushes that without the apd. I couldn't justify the huge difference for the apd version when i bought last month (with the rebate the difference paid for the XE2 body