Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2014, 10:15 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fuji XT1

This camera is becoming very, very tempting to me. I wish Pentax would come out with a nice EVF camera, but that wait might be until the end of the universe. Anyone have one?

11-03-2014, 12:03 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
Pentax would come out with a nice EVF camera
well you may need to wait for ages for this...
11-03-2014, 05:51 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

I had one and sold it.
The IQ was fabulous, right up there with anything minus the D810 on this side of MF.
The EVF is also awesome, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another camera with a EVF as good as the X-T1.
The primes are also unrivaled in terms of optical quality, sharpness, performance, etc.

So after all that, why did I sell it? It was just not fun for me to shoot. The little things just add up. I think I am just too used to a DSLR style user interface and feel in my hands. Manual focus with a focus-by-wire lens feels foreign to me. If I had grown up with a MILC instead of a DSLR, I probably wouldn't mind the differences. The flash system makes Pentax look like Nikon's CLS. There's a lack of third party lens options so you are stuck paying Fuji prices...yes they are wonderful lenses, but I would like to make the compromise for maybe slightly less build quality, IQ and speed to save a couple hundred bucks.

So long story short...if you do a Flickr search for X-T1 pics, you will see thousands of pro-level quality images. But FOR ME, the camera was just not fun enough to keep.
11-04-2014, 09:22 PM   #4

How did you find the after tracking of the xt-1 compare to the k3?

11-04-2014, 10:50 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had a Lend of a Friends Fujifilm XT-1 with 18-55 mm Lens , The only thing I didn't like about the camera was that it didn't quite balance welll enough in my big hand without a battery Grip attached , that was just my personal Experience , I found the EVF very refined and Colors were so Vibrant and True to life.
11-05-2014, 08:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I think I am just too used to a DSLR style user interface and feel in my hands.
I think that is what makes the X-T1 so popular with many...it is very different than a DSLR in many respects. I have almost bought this camera several times, it is very appealing to me...sort of like a big X10/X20 with more capability. However, since my on capability is not even up to the X10/X20 level, common sense has prevented me from the purchase.
I am impressed with the design, the build quality, and the IQ results of the X-T1.....however, from what I see, it is not better than the K3 in most regards.....just different. If a person is happy with their DSLR that looks just like all the other DSLRs out there, then the X-T1 might not offer much advantage?

Regards!
11-05-2014, 08:53 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Indeed! Back when the X-T1 just came out, I said that this was the camera Pentax should have made, only in K-mount! And Fuji has some really attractive primes. I see Fuji as the main competition to Pentax now, since it is competing with similar features, things that used to be Pentax' strength (tradition, unique primes, compact system, WR, good-looking cameras with some "retro" inspiration). The main thing holding me back is that it is pretty expensive, and I already have K lenses that serve me well.

11-05-2014, 09:39 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I agree. Were it not for Pentax, I'd be a Fuji user. And if one of these lotto tickets magically wins, I'll have both!
11-07-2014, 10:37 PM - 1 Like   #9
Forum Member

I finally gave up on waiting for Pentax to come out with a "digital" LX to go with their limited primes, so I sold a bunch of Pentax equipment (not all), and bought the XT1 with 18-135, and their 35 mm prime. Glad I did.

The XT1 body is very similar to the LX (slightly smaller and lighter), very well built, and the Fuji 35mm is very similar to a "limited". Lots of metal all around.

The EVF is excellent, and I was suprised at how quickly I got used to it. The WR18-135 is a great match for the WR XT1 body. Great image quality, both RAW and jpeg.

However, I don't think I would want to use a lens bigger than the 18-135 with the XT1 - defeats the purpose of a small camera.

That's why I've kept my K3, Sigma 17-70, and DA* 200 + TC. The K3 really is a sweet camera.

The 17-70 is good, but I may be tempted by the new DA 16-85 - we'll see what the reviews say.

Also I'll be looking at the new DA 200-400 super telephoto zoom when it comes out, as I could use the TC with it.

But for now, I'm pretty satisfied with my two systems.

And, on the Fuji forum, there are lots of Pentax users.

fred
11-10-2014, 12:36 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by PENFRED Quote
I finally gave up on waiting for Pentax to come out with a "digital" LX to go with their limited primes, so I sold a bunch of Pentax equipment (not all), and bought the XT1 with 18-135, and their 35 mm prime. Glad I did.

The XT1 body is very similar to the LX (slightly smaller and lighter), very well built, and the Fuji 35mm is very similar to a "limited". Lots of metal all around.

The EVF is excellent, and I was suprised at how quickly I got used to it. The WR18-135 is a great match for the WR XT1 body. Great image quality, both RAW and jpeg.

However, I don't think I would want to use a lens bigger than the 18-135 with the XT1 - defeats the purpose of a small camera.

That's why I've kept my K3, Sigma 17-70, and DA* 200 + TC. The K3 really is a sweet camera.

The 17-70 is good, but I may be tempted by the new DA 16-85 - we'll see what the reviews say.

Also I'll be looking at the new DA 200-400 super telephoto zoom when it comes out, as I could use the TC with it.

But for now, I'm pretty satisfied with my two systems.

And, on the Fuji forum, there are lots of Pentax users.

fred
Hi Fred,

Since you have both xt1 and k3, how do you rate their auto focus? I currently have xe1 and k30 and would like better AF. I would like to upgrade one of them. Which camera do you think would track better? Thank you.
11-10-2014, 02:44 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
IMO, its not much of an advantage moving to XT1.
Its more of a lateral move imo (win some lose some)
The main advantage of the XT1 over a K3 would be weight (but then its more plastic for what its worth) and faster lenses (but with focus by wire and likely no cross usage if Fuji ever stop making these cameras)

Digital LX?, I do think the Sony A7 is really as close as it gets now.
FF that can use our Pentax lenses (at FF) so that already saves money and offers something more over an existing Pentax body.
AF is 'ok' in good light and most normal stuff, though I do think K3 wins here.
Lenses are limited, but a 16-35/4; 35/2.8 and 55/1.8 (plus maybe the 70-200/4) probably covers the focal length most users need rather well.
My few cents.
11-10-2014, 05:46 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by leeak Quote
Hi Fred,

Since you have both xt1 and k3, how do you rate their auto focus? I currently have xe1 and k30 and would like better AF. I would like to upgrade one of them. Which camera do you think would track better? Thank you.
I have an a6000, arguably the best of the MILC bodies for tracking. It cannot match the K-3 IME.
11-10-2014, 07:39 AM   #13
Veteran Member

If the X-T1 was a bit cheaper I would have seriously considered getting one. At the current prices I think it would make much more sense for me to get a K3 instead. I'm sort of hoping for some new medium format cameras to come out though. Fuji has a history of making good fixed-lens MF film cameras and I bet they could make a great MF digital.
11-10-2014, 09:10 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm an XT1 user and i don't know why you'd leave the K3?

I left Pentax DSLR back at the K200d when i needed/ *WANTED* something faster for indoor /low light sport...i "wanted" a reasonably and affordable good high ISO, fast shutter speed body combo...so the closest at that time was the Canon 7D...since i invested so much in that system (a lot more costly over Pentax weight and dollars) i stayed there into their FF offering now but the weight always was an issue...as someone always looking to move up in technology and with the wave of mirrorless hitting the market i jump onto the Fujifilm bandwagon looking to ditch the "bulky" Canon system but to cut to the chase...was it worth it?

No and yes....yes as i got a good system Canon to take those images i wanted for my sports photography....no, mirrorless does do well with everything but what my DSLR does better...in the end if i were patient enough i would have stayed with Pentax and saved myself a lot of monies

That's my story in short/don't read between the lines too much but i have no regrets as now i'm looking less at equipment and shooting more which i should have just been doing in the first place

Stick with what you have and make the most of it is where i'm at now.
11-10-2014, 12:24 PM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by leeak Quote
Hi Fred,

Haven't done any in depth comparison, but, so far, I think I find the K3 AFS slightly faster than the XT1 - this, of course is lens dependent - but, they are both fast enough. On the other hand, I found the XT1 AFC better able than the K3 to lock on a moving object.

That's my take right now.

Don't have XE1 or K30, but my understanding is that the AF of the XT1 is much improved over the XE1, and the AF of the K3 is the best of the Pentax models.

See if you can try them out.

fred