Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-11-2014, 09:03 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ProdigalPentaxian Quote
I want to see if anyone sees something I am not seeing
I invite you to expand your perception of how cameras are evaluated to reach beyond your own usage scenarios to different contexts.

The value of a camera system (and when one is purchasing a DSLR, they are purchasing entry into a whole system and not just a body and kit lens) is linked to the shooter's requirements. Larger companies like Canon offer bodies with distinct functions that tend to be targeted to specific types of uses beyond the beginner>enthusiast categories.

So. . .the 7D MK2 is squarely aimed at sports and wildlife shooters. Not to say that the camera doesn't perform well at other subject (I have sold plenty of landscape shots taken with my 7D), but the 7D MK2 is a performance camera. What it offers beyond the K-3 is a higher frame rate and a predictive AF system that is a helluva lot better. The AF system is based on the 1DX model and is the same as the 5D MK3 utilizes. If you shoot action and have demanding assignments that mean you have to get the shot, then these two subsystems alone are worth the price.

Then you add on the superior flash subsystem, significantly broader lenses choices (Pentax is losing third-party support regularly, plus their telephoto choices are lean), broader software support from third parties, real professional services, multiple repair facilities, and an "upgrade" path to multiple 135mm format bodies, and the value argument is self-explanatory.

Let me also say that all camera systems are imperfect and all DSLRs made today are remarkable. It's a matter of knowing what you need and matching those with the right tools. If Pentax works for you that's wonderful, their products worked for me for many years and I still have some great stuff.

I don't pay much attention to DSLR video (though I edit videos for clients), but I would be surprised if the 7D MK2 did not exceed the capabilities of the K-3. Not a big deal to me as we are talking photography and not videography.

I hope this answers your questions.

M

---------- Post added 11-11-14 at 08:05 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Even so, if I was a Canon shooter, I'd probably wait a bit for the price to come down. They seem to have pitched it's initial price a little too high.
I guess this must be why the 7D MKII is the top Amazon seller for new DSLRs.

M

11-11-2014, 09:20 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
the top Amazon seller for new DSLRs
All hyped new cameras seem to do that for a week or two.
The Amazon figures also never reveal the 'buyers remorse' return rate.
11-11-2014, 10:09 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
All hyped new cameras seem to do that for a week or two.
The Amazon figures also never reveal the 'buyers remorse' return rate.

M
11-12-2014, 01:50 AM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

So. . .the 7D MK2 is squarely aimed at sports and wildlife shooters. ...What it offers beyond the K-3
Well, Miguel, DXOMark score the older Pentax K3 as *superior* to the Canon 7D Mk2 in their sports, landscape, portrait and overall ratings.

Buy one if you like, but ...

11-12-2014, 03:36 AM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I invite you to expand your perception of how cameras are evaluated to reach beyond your own usage scenarios to different contexts.

The value of a camera system (and when one is purchasing a DSLR, they are purchasing entry into a whole system and not just a body and kit lens) is linked to the shooter's requirements. Larger companies like Canon offer bodies with distinct functions that tend to be targeted to specific types of uses beyond the beginner>enthusiast categories.

So. . .the 7D MK2 is squarely aimed at sports and wildlife shooters. Not to say that the camera doesn't perform well at other subject (I have sold plenty of landscape shots taken with my 7D), but the 7D MK2 is a performance camera. What it offers beyond the K-3 is a higher frame rate and a predictive AF system that is a helluva lot better. The AF system is based on the 1DX model and is the same as the 5D MK3 utilizes. If you shoot action and have demanding assignments that mean you have to get the shot, then these two subsystems alone are worth the price.

Then you add on the superior flash subsystem, significantly broader lenses choices (Pentax is losing third-party support regularly, plus their telephoto choices are lean), broader software support from third parties, real professional services, multiple repair facilities, and an "upgrade" path to multiple 135mm format bodies, and the value argument is self-explanatory.

Let me also say that all camera systems are imperfect and all DSLRs made today are remarkable. It's a matter of knowing what you need and matching those with the right tools. If Pentax works for you that's wonderful, their products worked for me for many years and I still have some great stuff.

I don't pay much attention to DSLR video (though I edit videos for clients), but I would be surprised if the 7D MK2 did not exceed the capabilities of the K-3. Not a big deal to me as we are talking photography and not videography.

I hope this answers your questions.

M

---------- Post added 11-11-14 at 08:05 PM ----------

I guess this must be why the 7D MKII is the top Amazon seller for new DSLRs.

M
It's a fine camera, Miguel. You will find that more Pentaxians are landscape/portrait type shooters and less into high frame rates/bursts. It is just that over the years there hasn't been that much support and so the numbers have dwindled. I don't think anyone would argue that the 7D is a great landscape or portrait camera -- seems a little overkill, no?

One of the best sports photographers on the forum, who is still shooting Pentax, is Ron Hendriks, and he switched from a K3 back to a K5, because he didn't need the extra frame rate, or resolution and wanted every little bit of high iso he could get.
11-12-2014, 06:33 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ProdigalPentaxian Quote
I want to see if anyone sees something I am not seeing.

I mean my K-3 has 24MP no AA and I always do manual focus on video, and even then the K-3 does pretty good in AF unless I'm filming a dance recital or a hockey game that the Canon I dont think can keep up with anyway...

Are the 40 extra focus points and the 2 FPS more worth $1000, and loose IBIS and focus peaking.
The Canon will have plenty of lenses that do stabilisation during video though, while a Pentaxian with a K-3 is screwed... lenses are designed without stabilisation in the lens as the body does it... except in the newer Pentaxes it doesn't for video. If we are talking K-5 though I'd take that over the Canon for anything... stills, video, ... (Canon + Magic Lantern is a different thing though).

A K-3 with Magic Lantern would kick ass, but sadly Pentax isn't going to do that themselves and others don't have enough interest and knowledge to make it happen.

I would love to see how the 7D II WR competes with Pentax though.
11-12-2014, 09:29 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Rondec, I appreciate your sane, nuanced response. It's challenging for non-sports and wildlife shooters to understand the gear-driven requirements that camera systems like the 7D fulfill.

I'll probably purchase one eventually, but my need for and desire to shoot a cropped sensor format has diminished, so my aging 7D may turn the trick for a while longer.

I've always appreciated and respect Ron's work.

M

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It's a fine camera, Miguel. You will find that more Pentaxians are landscape/portrait type shooters and less into high frame rates/bursts. It is just that over the years there hasn't been that much support and so the numbers have dwindled. I don't think anyone would argue that the 7D is a great landscape or portrait camera -- seems a little overkill, no?

One of the best sports photographers on the forum, who is still shooting Pentax, is Ron Hendriks, and he switched from a K3 back to a K5, because he didn't need the extra frame rate, or resolution and wanted every little bit of high iso he could get.

---------- Post added 11-12-14 at 08:42 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Well, Miguel, DXOMark score the older Pentax K3 as *superior* to the Canon 7D Mk2 in their sports, landscape, portrait and overall ratings.

Buy one if you like, but ...
Well, as everyone knows, the ultimate way to evaluate gear for sports shooting is to have a machine aim a camera at a FIFA 14 screen in the DxO lab.

All praise the church of DxO!!

M

Last edited by Miguel; 11-12-2014 at 09:43 AM.
11-12-2014, 11:01 AM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Well, as everyone knows, the ultimate way to evaluate gear for sports shooting is to have a machine aim a camera at a FIFA 14 screen in the DxO lab.

All praise the church of DxO!!
My wife wondered why I just burst out laughing, M - thanks! :-D