Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-04-2014, 04:48 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Canon EOS 7D Mark II teardown " thoroughly weather-sealed."

Roger Cicala's latest blog entry at LensRentals features a complete dis-assembly of the new Canon EOS 7D Mark II. From his experience he called it "the most thoroughly weather-sealed camera I’ve ever run across"--which he qualifies as not being a definitive statement for all cameras.

Interesting story and look at the engineering behind the product.

On another forum I asked him how it compares with Pentax, and he responded by saying that he has never had enough Pentax bodies on hand to make a comparison.

M

11-04-2014, 07:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hmm. What weather-sealed cameras is he comparing it to, then? I'm not trying to be snarky-- I just don't know what else is out there.
11-04-2014, 07:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

He compared it to the 7D.
11-04-2014, 07:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
how it compares with Pentax
One has to take some of these manufacturer claims with a huge grain of salt. The Nikon D610, for example, claims "The Nikon D610 is sealed and gasketed, with dust and moisture resistance of the same caliber as the Nikon D800" but open the card door, and it hardly qualifies as sealed. Ditto the battery door. A Pentax like the K-7/K-5/K-3 puts it to shame.

I'd like to see IPX ratings for DSLR's

11-04-2014, 10:12 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Cicala was quite impressed by the effort put into the 7D Mk II.

His normal attitude is:

" ... Most of you know I hate marketing drivel. HATE IT. Most of you know I’m generally not impressed with weather sealing claims. Unless something has changed in the last 30 seconds, weather sealing still means, “the warranty doesn’t cover water damage”. So when I read the claim ’4 times more weather sealing’ my inner cynic just thought 4 times zero equals zero."
11-05-2014, 01:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

That's a serious disassembling job! I may have read it too fast but did he manage to put everything back together?
11-05-2014, 01:41 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
That's a serious disassembling job! I may have read it too fast but did he manage to put everything back together?
I assume so as he's documented several equipment teardowns, plus his job is to repair the rentals that arrive in all sorts of unimaginable condition. On FM forums he noted that the photos are taken during the re-assembly process after he is more familiar with the specific camera or lens. Roger is a medical doctor by training so his attention to detail and procedures I assume is quite proficient.

M

11-05-2014, 02:02 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Roger is a medical doctor by training so his attention to detail and procedures I assume is quite proficient.
It is only fair to "assume" at this point.
Being (or having been) a medical doctor doesn't necessarily imply "thouroughness" and, as you mention, "attention to details and procedures".
11-05-2014, 06:11 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
It is only fair to "assume" at this point.
Being (or having been) a medical doctor doesn't necessarily imply "thouroughness" and, as you mention, "attention to details and procedures".

He's the business owner, Jpzk, so I actually assume he doesn't care too much.

He can pull it apart, have fun, and let the underlings put it back together again!
11-07-2014, 07:00 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
He's the business owner, Jpzk, so I actually assume he doesn't care too much.

He can pull it apart, have fun, and let the underlings put it back together again!
Yeah, likely not .
11-11-2014, 01:13 PM   #11

Pentax K-3 vs Canon 7D Mark II

What's The Big Deal with the 7D Mark II??
I mean its a very nice camera. I guess it's fast with those 65 cross type focus points. And Dual Pixel AF looks pretty nifty for video recording. BUT!!!!

I don't know about anyone else. I dont want to sound like a FanBoy...

But I think the Pentax K-5 did a lot of wants "new" with the Canon back on 2009!!!

Time Lapse recording for one and the weather sealing.

But the canon does not have IBIS or focus peaking or zebras that my K-01 had.
11-11-2014, 01:25 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

It's been hammered in the DXO Mark ratings. Almost 'Why would you buy one?' numbers for a measurebator.
11-11-2014, 02:16 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ProdigalPentaxian Quote
What's The Big Deal with the 7D Mark II??
Are you asking a rhetorical question or are you sincerely wanting an answer that may differ from your perceptions?

M
11-11-2014, 03:42 PM   #14

I want to see if anyone sees something I am not seeing.

I mean my K-3 has 24MP no AA and I always do manual focus on video, and even then the K-3 does pretty good in AF unless I'm filming a dance recital or a hockey game that the Canon I dont think can keep up with anyway...

Are the 40 extra focus points and the 2 FPS more worth $1000, and loose IBIS and focus peaking.
11-11-2014, 03:54 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ProdigalPentaxian Quote
Are the 40 extra focus points and the 2 FPS more worth $1000
Probably, if your job or income or favorite photo projects really depended on action AF and fps.

Otherwise, not so much, especially if you have no existing Canon lenses and gear.

Even so, if I was a Canon shooter, I'd probably wait a bit for the price to come down. They seem to have pitched it's initial price a little too high.