Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2014, 09:13 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Samsung NX3000 - Anyone have on, or suggest an alternative

Having done a few work trips and taken my DSLR with me I'm finding it too large and heavy, so looking for something small but still with decent size sensor etc. Also don't want to spend much more than around £300 as this is just a second camera after all for lugging around with my laptop etc on work trips.

I have narrowed in on the Sony a5000 and Samsung NX3000. Both are APS-C, small and come with a 16-50 lens. Currently favouring the NX3000 as it is cheaper, comes with LR5 and other than that there doesn't seem much between them. Other options seems to come with worse lenses (e.g. without stabilisation in) and that addition of LR5 is a really bonus.

Anyone have any thoughts or obvious contenders I should look at instead?

11-07-2014, 10:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Sony is a lot more successful and they seem to care more about the lineup than Samsung. Samsung had a lot of momentum early on, but they've kind of faltered. That said, they did recently come out with a 50-150/2.8 and they do have some great primes. Sony is more established, there are a lot of lenses, and the cheap Sigma primes are great. Sony has shifted their focus, recently, to full frame lenses, however. I sometimes wonder if we'll see anymore APS-C lenses.

Have you considered just buying an RX100? It will fit in your pocket and the images are quite good.
11-07-2014, 01:44 PM   #3

Original Poster
Hmm, I think RX100 could be a good option. I was getting a bit fixated on getting APS-C size but maybe shouldn't be so concerned about that. It's also more pricey but 2nd hand could be an option. More research to be done!
11-07-2014, 03:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thechumpen Quote
Hmm, I think RX100 could be a good option. I was getting a bit fixated on getting APS-C size but maybe shouldn't be so concerned about that. It's also more pricey but 2nd hand could be an option. More research to be done!
I don't know about in the UK, but in the US they still sell all 3 versions. I recently saw the RX100 v1 for $330. If you don't need the features of the newer versions, it's a great option.

11-07-2014, 05:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The RX100 (I have v1) is a great little compact camera for travelling.

Not only is the image quality very good during the day and even at night, but USB charging (laptop -> USB cable -> RX100) is handy while on the road too. No need to carry a dedicated battery charger.
11-08-2014, 01:07 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
I recommend the samsung NX300. It's a little bit older so probably a much better value than the NX3000, even though pricing may even be comparable, but you will get on-chip phase-detect auto focus in addition to contrast only of NX3000 (this is very significant when you shoot in low light condition like a dim-lit restaurant type, as the NX3000 will probably hunt forever , most likely can't focus, while the NX300 will latch focus much faster.
I tested the NX300 focus capability against the Pentax K5: quite comparable in speed and accuracy!
Have fun and good luck. As long as you're at it, I would try to get one with a fixed 16mm f2.4 instead of the consumer zoom lens, it makes a wonderful & light travel kit.
11-08-2014, 03:04 PM   #7

Original Poster
The NX300 looks good. I think I'm going to keep an eye out for an RX100 II now though. It meets my portability requirement much better so thanks kanafein for suggesting. The interchangeable lens options all just end up too bulky or limited to fixed length pancake then I'm back to buying more lenses. The Sony is a great size and very compact so easily fit in pocket etc.

11-12-2014, 06:42 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thechumpen Quote
The NX300 looks good. I think I'm going to keep an eye out for an RX100 II now though. It meets my portability requirement much better so thanks kanafein for suggesting. The interchangeable lens options all just end up too bulky or limited to fixed length pancake then I'm back to buying more lenses. The Sony is a great size and very compact so easily fit in pocket etc.
Have a look at the Panasonic LX100. Looks really nice too.

As for Samsung, they are soon to launch a really interesting pro camera that's aimed at photographers and videographers alike, and there'll be cheaper versions of it too. I think they might just get started.