Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2014, 12:48 AM   #1

Tripod (or monopod) recommendations for iPhone

Before I spend an age trawling the web for tripods or monopods suitable for my iPhone 6, I thought I'd ask here.
I noticed today a plant in my fish tank is flowering - in all the years I've kept fish I've never had this plant flower.
I've managed to capture some photos of it with my iphone, but stability is an issue.
I'd love to get your recommendations, if you have any.

11-08-2014, 01:47 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
:You really don't need a lot. There is the matter of the clamp for the iphone, the legs themselves are really no different than a light pair for a small camera.
11-08-2014, 02:05 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've bought a little tripod (30 cm height) for my SamsungGalaxy S4 because I wanted to try the time lapse.
I've been searching it for a while, but in the end I finished buying a cheap chinese one. In my case, I didn't want to invest much money because it was just an attempt and I didn't need a tall one, since I was trying with a landscape time lapse. It is not very good quality, but is very light, I have fit it in the bag of my camera so when I need it is always with me.
I have bought this one, but obviously the net il full of this kind of cheap ones.
11-08-2014, 02:58 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks!
I too don't want to spend a lot, as while I'm keen to get some nice photos of the flowers, I'm not sure I'd have a lot of use for a tripod or similar. Especially because I've gone years without one so far.

---------- Post added 11-08-14 at 07:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by flaviopetrone Quote
I've bought a little tripod (30 cm height) for my SamsungGalaxy S4 because I wanted to try the time lapse.
I've been searching it for a while, but in the end I finished buying a cheap chinese one. In my case, I didn't want to invest much money because it was just an attempt and I didn't need a tall one, since I was trying with a landscape time lapse. It is not very good quality, but is very light, I have fit it in the bag of my camera so when I need it is always with me.
I have bought this one, but obviously the net il full of this kind of cheap ones.
How did the time lapse trial go?

11-08-2014, 03:34 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kreuzn Quote

How did the time lapse trial go?
Good. I have downloaded a great app for the phone, Lapse-it, and I have made some attempts. It is not difficult at all. You need just a lot of time and maybe 2 batteries (with the iPhone you should consider an external battery bank).
For an HD video of only 1 minute you need 1800 pictures, if you set the interval between pictures at 5 seconds you need 2 hours and an half only to take pics...
11-08-2014, 04:39 AM   #6
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

GripTight Smartphone Mount and Tripods
11-08-2014, 03:34 PM   #7

Original Poster
Good. I have downloaded a great app for the phone, Lapse-it, and I have made some attempts. It is not difficult at all. You need just a lot of time and maybe 2 batteries (with the iPhone you should consider an external battery bank).
For an HD video of only 1 minute you need 1800 pictures, if you set the interval between pictures at 5 seconds you need 2 hours and an half only to take pics...
WOW!!! 1800 photos. I'd never stopped to consider just what goes into a time lapse. Now I'm intrigued to learn more

11-08-2014, 03:40 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

WOW!!! 1800 photos. I'd never stopped to consider just what goes into a time lapse. Now I'm intrigued to learn more
To be honest, I don't want to make all these pictures on my dslr. For this reason I've tried to search the way with the smartphone considering that:
- the Samsung galaxy 4's camera is very good;
- the battery will last long (and I have an extra battery);
- the full HD resolution is 1920 x 1080, so in good light condition a smartphone is good enough;
- it is easy to put over that little tripod and it stays safely there;
- in the while, I go around (not far) and take shots using my K50.

Anyway, full resolution is 30 frames per second, but obviously you can downgrade to 25 or less. It is just that when I do something, I try to do in the best way (but not always I reach my target!).
11-08-2014, 03:42 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Ooh, I like these! They don't accept non-US orders. the Oz resellers website isn't loading
11-09-2014, 04:53 AM - 1 Like   #10
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Joby products are the bee's knees. I've got the Gorillapod. Much copied, never bettered.

The smartphone ones are widely available from retailers and online. Decide which one you want and do a price comparison with Shopbot or staticice.
11-09-2014, 01:30 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Joby products are the bee's knees. I've got the Gorillapod. Much copied, never bettered.

The smartphone ones are widely available from retailers and online. Decide which one you want and do a price comparison with Shopbot or staticice.
Price comparison done. Almost ordered one, then decided to wait, as I'm visiting Melbourne in two weeks. Hopefully I can buy one there, otherwise I'll order online.
11-09-2014, 01:47 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Price comparison done. Almost ordered one, then decided to wait, as I'm visiting Melbourne in two weeks. Hopefully I can buy one there, otherwise I'll order online.
Good!
Let me know what you choose and if you will be satisfied with it!
11-21-2014, 10:23 PM   #13

Original Poster
Good!
Let me know what you choose and if you will be satisfied with it!
Well, I bought a GorlliaPod, eventually. I went to a Ted's camera store, but was disappointed by their poor service. The guy who 'served' me, knew stuff all about them. They didn't have the style I wanted, I was after the hybrid, for smartphones which they didn't have. They had the DSLR version, but not the one I was after. Interestingly, if I hadve received better service, I may have bought the standard model, as well as the Joby DSLR strap, which they had in stock. But when I asked the guy to get me a price ( no price sticker on the product ) he looked as if I'd just asked him to fly to the moon.
In frustration I left there, and went to the Apple Store ( had a Genius Bar appointment ). Apple also didn't stock the hybrid, but I went with the magnetic version. It's not he end of the world that this one doesn't have an in built level, especially as I could download a level app.
But the difference in customer service between the two stores was vast. Not only did I buy the tripod at Apple, but a hands free Belkin device for my iPhone too. If I'm treated with respect, and interest, I'll happily hand over my money. All too often I find sales people don't care, which is why I'm increasingly shopping online.
11-22-2014, 12:49 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

If I'm treated with respect, and interest, I'll happily hand over my money. All too often I find sales people don't care, which is why I'm increasingly shopping online.
I am agree with you. The good sides to buy in a traditional store are that you can touch the item and talk to someone. If you don't get respect and care, better you change shop.
I think that you have made a good choice!
I am looking forward to see some pictures!