Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2014, 12:09 PM   #1

please persuade me not to buy this bundle...

i'm in a negotiation for:

panny: gh2; 14-140; 100-300; 14 2.5; 20 1.7
oly: 45 1.8

all for $1,000, im really tempted, but.. please save my wallet, persuade me not to get this deal...

11-18-2014, 12:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Do you need all that? Do you want all that? Why do you want/need all that? Try to rationalize. In which ways it would benefit your photography? More portable? Would you take it somewhere you won't take your Pentax?

Apart from those considerations, it's a nice package... a fine camera, an all purpose zoom, a tele zoom and three good primes (wide, normal, short tele)... I can't see what's not to like here... apart from the shock to the wallet...
11-18-2014, 12:31 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Do you need all that? Do you want all that? Why do you want/need all that? Try to rationalize. In which ways it would benefit your photography? More portable? Would you take it somewhere you won't take your Pentax?

Apart from those considerations, it's a nice package... a fine camera, an all purpose zoom, a tele zoom and three good primes (wide, normal, short tele)... I can't see what's not to like here... apart from the shock to the wallet...
i dont need it, not for the smaller body, or any of the lenses; i'm currently using the k5ii, 15 limited, F50 1.7, and tammy 70-200; i've covered 5%.

but then again, why not.... i dont need it, but its always nice to use an backup? (in which k5iis deal now is cheaper); i can always sell them if i dont like? (there's the hassle of reselling).

its just an mess... so tempted, so resistive...
11-18-2014, 12:35 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The GH2 is 4 years old... I mean, that sensor has been way superseded by newer m43 sensors.

11-18-2014, 12:39 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
The GH2 is 4 years old... I mean, that sensor has been way superseded by newer m43 sensors.
oh, and there's a gx1 thrown in there somewhere in the bundle...
11-18-2014, 12:47 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, it depends on what you want to do. Four thirds is what it is. You can mount most glass on it, but with the crop factor it isn't as useful, in my opinion. Files from the cameras will be OK, but not as easy to get as much out as K5 II files -- not as good at high iso or as much as dynamic range. The glass is nice. I guess I would favor picking as system -- whatever it is -- and growing within it. Buying multiple different systems, even for a good deal, isn't particularly worthwhile, till you complete what you have now.
11-18-2014, 12:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Capture Lights Quote
i dont need it, not for the smaller body, or any of the lenses; i'm currently using the k5ii, 15 limited, F50 1.7, and tammy 70-200; i've covered 5%.

but then again, why not.... i dont need it, but its always nice to use an backup? (in which k5iis deal now is cheaper); i can always sell them if i dont like? (there's the hassle of reselling).

its just an mess... so tempted, so resistive...
No, forget the resale value.
Lenses, maybe, but I won't be sure about the future of m43 anyway... trends are shifting violently nowadays... just a year ago m43 was the be-all, end-all of portability, and then we get a super-portable FF mirrorless by Sony, and what amounts to a rebirth of the MF camera in the form of the 645Z.
Consider it as money you sent down the drain, just like buying alcohol or chocolate. It's not an investment, and if it is, it's a damn risky one.

what do you mean by "I've covered 5%"?

11-18-2014, 12:55 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
No, forget the resale value.
Lenses, maybe, but I won't be sure about the future of m43 anyway... trends are shifting violently nowadays... just a year ago m43 was the be-all, end-all of portability, and then we get a super-portable FF mirrorless by Sony, and what amounts to a rebirth of the MF camera in the form of the 645Z.
Consider it as money you sent down the drain, just like buying alcohol or chocolate. It's not an investment, and if it is, it's a damn risky one.

what do you mean by "I've covered 5%"?
it was mistake, i was saying that with my current set up, i'm covered with 95% of the things that i want to shot
11-18-2014, 01:00 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Best way to prevent yourself from buying it is to give a link so someone else here can buy it
But I get the itch that we get when we look at other systems, with some interesting cameras and lenses. Just keep in mind that the grass is not really greener. That K-5IIs and DA 15mm are pretty unique, with great quality
11-18-2014, 01:09 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Best way to prevent yourself from buying it is to give a link so someone else here can buy it
But I get the itch that we get when we look at other systems, with some interesting cameras and lenses. Just keep in mind that the grass is not really greener. That K-5IIs and DA 15mm are pretty unique, with great quality
the grass is not really that green on the other side on my view, i acknowledge that there are limits, but i've very happy with the result that i'm getting with pentax, even if i buy, i'm not looking to change.

its really the same itch that you have, for me, my interest is to try it, and play with different gadget, and based on the price, even if i dont like, i wont lose much right....
11-18-2014, 01:11 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Gear is nice but it's also a hassle. Adding another system is just asking for more maintenance. It's another battery to charge. Another set of lenses to collect to cover a useful range. More to clean. More to pack. It sounds like you have a Pentax system. Why not invest more in it? If you have everything you need from Pentax and are just looking to spend money on something new then try for some accessories, bags, or prints.

I am neck deep into K-mount, knee deep in M42, and ankle deep in Q-mount. That's enough to keep me busy for several tens of decades until my lenses fall apart and the glass flows.
11-18-2014, 01:18 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Capture Lights Quote
it was mistake, i was saying that with my current set up, i'm covered with 95% of the things that i want to shot
Now it makes more sense, thanks!
11-18-2014, 01:18 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Gear is nice but it's also a hassle. Adding another system is just asking for more maintenance. It's another battery to charge. Another set of lenses to collect to cover a useful range. More to clean. More to pack. It sounds like you have a Pentax system. Why not invest more in it? If you have everything you need from Pentax and are just looking to spend money on something new then try for some accessories, bags, or prints.

I am neck deep into K-mount, knee deep in M42, and ankle deep in Q-mount. That's enough to keep me busy for several tens of decades until my lenses fall apart and the glass flows.
what else do i need, for landscape, i have the 15 and 70-200, for portrait, there the 50 and 70-200, and even short telephoto, i'm covered with 200 on birds.

but i think you understand the itch when there's a gadget that you haven't played with before? like that new nexus phone or iphone 6, there's a nerdy instinct that draw you to get it a play....
11-18-2014, 01:19 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
*snip*
Another set of lenses to collect to cover a useful range.
*snip*
Well, that's pretty much a complete set, except maybe for a UWA... but he already has the 15mm for the Pentax...
11-18-2014, 01:20 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I guess if you have time in your hands... buy it... if you're more into taking pictures than testing gear you already know you won't stick with in the long term... then go take pictures ...

Isn't 1000 dollars more than enough to get a 31mm Limited? just saying (fits right between your 15 and your 50... lol)