Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
12-04-2014, 02:53 PM   #166
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
do a search on google shopping, there are a bunch of vendors selling d7000 cameras... some refurb, but there is a lot of new grey market, for instance:
Nikon D7000 DX-Format Digital SLR Camera Body

the d7100 was announced early last year, so the d7000 was still being sold well into last year... combine it's oily shutter problem with plummeting dslr sales, there was probably an overstock of inventory.

the headphones, i don't know

the list itself is: "Amazon Best Sellers
Our most popular products based on sales. Updated hourly."

it's what the public is buying... no pentax of any kind, and no a7 series.

we are arguing about niche products here
If I filter that Amazon list based on SLR, then the D7000 comes in at the number 2 and number 6 position. So, it is currently outselling every other SLR out there except for the Nikon D3200.

Either Nikon has a huge number of these cameras left over that they are dumping on the market and trying to get rid of, or the list is meaningless. I choose to believe the second, as there is no way that the left over D7000s and refurbs are out selling cheaper and more recent cameras like the D5200, or the cheap Canon SLRs.

12-04-2014, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #167
osv
Veteran Member

here is another way to look at it:

overall digital camera market: breakdown by manufacturer
Canon 21%
Sony 20%
Nikon 14%
Pentax 1.6%

not sure where he got those numbers? but the very small pentax market share jives with why they aren't on the amazon list.
Musings on Markets: Go Pro: Camera or Smartphone? Social Media or Electronics? Price or Value?
12-04-2014, 04:14 PM   #168
Veteran Member

here is another way to look at it:

overall digital camera market: breakdown by manufacturer
Canon 21%
Sony 20%
Nikon 14%
Pentax 1.6%

not sure where he got those numbers? but the very small pentax market share jives with why they aren't on the amazon list.
Musings on Markets: Go Pro: Camera or Smartphone? Social Media or Electronics? Price or Value?
Interesting chart. If one rounds up and adds companies together:

A. Canon and Nikon have 35% of the digital camera market (traditional camera makers)(DSLRs)
B. Sony and Samsung have 32% of the digital camera market (camera makers from the electronics side of the market)(mirrorless)
C. Olympus and Panasonic have 15% of the digital camera market. (m4/3 companies) (mirrorless)
12-04-2014, 07:23 PM   #169
Veteran Member

Interesting article - not sure I believe it:
Digital Cameras: Sony, Samsung Dominating Digital Camera Market while Canon, Nikon Struggle | BusinessKorea

12-04-2014, 08:13 PM   #170
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
It's only the Korean market, according to the article, but even then, who knows?

Companies are notorious for not disclosing a breakdown of sales figures, and this market research company's methodology is not explained.
12-04-2014, 09:33 PM   #171
osv
Veteran Member

the latest cipa numbers are out, which includes up to october: http://www.cipa.jp/stats/documents/e/d-201410_e.pdf

mirrorless shipments to asia are much bigger than anywhere else, fwiw
12-04-2014, 09:39 PM   #172
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
It's only the Korean market, according to the article, but even then, who knows?

Companies are notorious for not disclosing a breakdown of sales figures, and this market research company's methodology is not explained.
Actually, companies do. Sony does, Nikon does, I think Canon does. Anyone who understands how to read financial reports can pull together a chart.

The problem is: not all companies provide information consistently and in a way that's comparable to other companies. That's why all the research analysts get paid the big bucks to dissect the information - which they supplement through obtaining information from the companies themselves.

I have no problems accepting the numbers in the above article, but yes I think it's South Korean specific. It's not necessarily a worldwide trend.

But looking at the big picture, I think it's safe to assume DSLR is shrinking, mirrorless is growing - at different rates in different markets.

Sony is doing relatively well, Nikon is doing relatively poorly, Canon is stagnant. This is not opinion - these are what the companies' latest quarterly reports are saying and also reflected in relative stock price performance. Ricoh/Pentax is irrelevant - their market share is too small in any market for them to be significant.

---------- Post added 12-05-2014 at 03:46 PM ----------

the latest cipa numbers are out, which includes up to october: http://www.cipa.jp/stats/documents/e/d-201410_e.pdf

mirrorless shipments to asia are much bigger than anywhere else, fwiw
Thanks - this clearly shows the only camera segment that is growing is "Non-Reflex" (includes cameras such as so-called mirrorless cameras, compact system cameras, rangefinder cameras with interchangeable lens and interchangeable unit system cameras, and similer cameras)

All other segments are shrinking rapidly. The total market is now less than half the size three years ago, and likely to halve again in the next few years. No wonder Canon and Nikon are so worried.

12-04-2014, 10:02 PM   #173
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Actually, companies do. Sony does, Nikon does, I think Canon does. Anyone who understands how to read financial reports can pull together a chart.
I've never seen a breakdown by product, Christine ... as much as we'd love to know how many Sony A99s or Pentax Qs were sold last quarter, I've only seen *financial* stats, which hide sales losers by lumping them together with winners.

As a matter of fact, if anyone out there's got better data than CIPA's volunteered aggregate data, it'd be of use to everyone else ... that's a callout!
12-04-2014, 10:06 PM   #174
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
It's not enough to raise brand awareness, you also have to create a positive impression for your brand, and when you release products with perplexing gaffes, it creates a bad impression. Especially when the problems defy common sense, as is the case with the misplaced shutter button on the original A7 models. Sony should be able to figure that one out on their own, without recourse to customer feedback. Also keep in mind: in the camera business, it's very difficult to compete against the company with a much larger, established user base. Not every photographer is a gear enthusiast/technophile who will immediately fall in love with the newest technology or the newest photography paradigm; nor is every photographer willing to throw all their gear on ebay and change at the drop at of a hat. It's very hard to compete against Canon and Nikon. Their huge customer base gives them enormous advantages over the competition.

Impressive, but, in the B&H catalogue, Canon has at 56 EF and Nikon has 52 FF lenses right now (and an even larger number of legacy and 3rd party offerings). Even lowly Pentax has 34 lenses in their current lineup.
You're comparing two well established Full frame ecosystems to a newly established system about a year old? By the time 2016 rolls around the FE system will only be 4 years old. 20 native lenses is an admirable effort.

Sony have made a big impact, they're always talked about in photography circles by enthusiasts and pros alike because of their ability to push the market and shake up the industry. Pentax is barely whispered at all. In the last 4 years they've made huge strides that will one day be looked back on as the beginnings of a wonderful tech-war in which we, the consumer, are the winners.
12-04-2014, 10:14 PM   #175
Veteran Member

I've never seen a breakdown by product, Christine.
I have, but it's information that is paid for, so I can't share it. As I mentioned before, there are research organisations that provide this kind of info ... for a fee.
12-04-2014, 10:30 PM   #176
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Ok, anyone else?

Real sales, BTW, not how many were distributed to channels (rows of Canikons sitting on shelves in Walmart) ie the difference between the number of a particular model car built by a company in a year and, say, the number actually registered ...

Last edited by clackers; 12-04-2014 at 11:05 PM.
12-05-2014, 08:45 AM   #177
osv
Veteran Member

I've never seen a breakdown by product, Christine
why would any camera company want to release that info to the public, or their competitors.

market share is more germaine to the discussion... if you look at where pentax was(4.8% in 2006) vs. where they are now(1.6%) with market share, it tells you everything that you need to know.

pentax makes really good camera gear, but it hasn't stopped their downward spiral... i think that it's because they aren't delivering what many customers want, aka, real mirrorless cameras.
Digitalkameras: Canon baut Marktführung aus, Sony Nummer Zwei (aktualisiert) | photoscala

both nikon and sony are pursuing 36mp ff camera gear because it has higher profit margins per unit... pentax did that with the 645z, no doubt they are making a killing on every camera sold, but the sales volume is really low.

when 50mp mirrorless hits the market next year(?), it'll be competitive with the 645z, what will pentax do then.
12-05-2014, 09:52 AM   #178
Veteran Member

Silly question... what is a good mount converter? From e full frame mount to k mount?
Thanks!
12-05-2014, 11:12 AM   #179
Veteran Member

And Canon is making a killing on their cinema line of gear. APS-C sensors for thousands of dollars.
12-05-2014, 01:39 PM   #180
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
And Canon is making a killing on their cinema line of gear. APS-C sensors for thousands of dollars.
Except Sony owns the videocam market (No. 1 in market share globally - 37% consumer, 48% pro)

In the still camera market, Sony is No. 3 overall, but No. 1 in mirrorless (40% market share) - which as we discussed earlier is the only segment that is growing - the other segments are shrinking at around 30-40% annually.

---------- Post added 12-06-2014 at 08:02 AM ----------

why would any camera company want to release that info to the public, or their competitors.
Actually, you do get a lot from investor relations releases from the companies, as I've pointed out earlier.

For example, in Nikon's Q2 financial results statements, they specifically said that the D810, D7100 and D750 are their best selling products. However, their overall sales and profit are down again (by over 20% and 10% respectively). Their DSLR sales are down 33%.

Similar, in Sony's recent Investor Relations Day, they gave quite a lot of info on which product segments are selling well - they didn't break down into individual models but it's quite clear the E mount and RX products are the stars.

I don't think we necessarily need to know actual numbers by product models. But that info is available - for a fee. I can guarantee you each camera manufacturer has a pretty good idea how well their competitors are doing, down to specific product models. For the rest of us, we need to know someone, or pay up.