Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2014, 11:23 AM   #121
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 11,913
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Sony A7 II's SteadyShot in action:
A decent range of movement. But it goes to show - you only need a few mm of movement to get the job done, even on full-frame.

Pentax should have no trouble at all implementing SR on full-frame ...

11-25-2014, 11:45 AM - 2 Likes   #122
Veteran Member
hinman's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fremont, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,473
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Sony A7 II's SteadyShot in action:

A7 II SteadyShot in action - YouTube
I am a A7 owner and when I see the video, I notice the new sensor cover seems to have less reflective surface. Sensor reflection in A7 is a frequent problem for me for nighttime photos with strong light sources. It is too early to tell but it will be great if Sony addresses the annoying issue in mark II.

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 11-25-2014 at 11:54 AM.
11-25-2014, 12:06 PM   #123
Veteran Member
Christine Tham's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,269
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
A decent range of movement. But it goes to show - you only need a few mm of movement to get the job done, even on full-frame.
There's a concern that the movement may cause vignetting in the photo, because the e-mount diameter is so close to sensor size.
11-25-2014, 12:28 PM   #124
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 11,913
QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
There's a concern that the movement may cause vignetting in the photo
I guess there may be other optical issues too. If a lens is sharpest in the centre but soft at the edges, particularly wide-open, vigorous SR may introduce image softness by dragging the sensor over into the optical 'soft zones' of a lens. Probably a marginal risk, but one to add to any worries about extra vignetting.

11-25-2014, 12:47 PM   #125
Veteran Member
Christine Tham's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,269
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I guess there may be other optical issues too. If a lens is sharpest in the centre but soft at the edges, particularly wide-open, vigorous SR may introduce image softness by dragging the sensor over into the optical 'soft zones' of a lens. Probably a marginal risk, but one to add to any worries about extra vignetting.
Potentially, although I would suspect (or at least hope) the sweet spot for a given lens should be larger in diameter than the range of movement.

As I've mentioned before, I am not a fan of IBIS, because of a range of potential issues. However, I will be the first to admit it seems to work well under normal circumstances. It's a certainly a nice feature to have for a mainstream camera, and will appeal to enthusiasts.
11-25-2014, 01:23 PM - 1 Like   #126
Veteran Member
philbaum's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Port Townsend, Washington State, USA
Posts: 3,659
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
I am a A7 owner and when I see the video, I notice the new sensor cover seems to have less reflective surface. Sensor reflection in A7 is a frequent problem for me for nighttime photos with strong light sources. It is too early to tell but it will be great if Sony addresses the annoying issue in mark II.

Thanks,
Hin
Thats the biggest reason i didn't, and won't, buy the A7, seen too many photos illustrating the problem. Its nice to see Sony addressing these issues.
11-26-2014, 08:07 AM   #127
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: La Crescenta, CA
Posts: 7,450
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
How so?
If your best-selling camera is a $2000+ full-frame mirrorless, it doesn't say much for your mass-market appeal.

11-26-2014, 08:21 AM - 1 Like   #128
Veteran Member
Clavius's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: De Klundert
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,118
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
If your best-selling camera is a $2000+ full-frame mirrorless, it doesn't say much for your mass-market appeal.
I still don't see how this is a bad thing...
11-26-2014, 09:15 AM   #129
Pentaxian
Mistral75's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 6,536
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
If your best-selling camera is a $2000+ full-frame mirrorless, it doesn't say much for your mass-market appeal.
Alpha 7R is supposedly the best-selling camera among the A7/A7R/A7S series, i.e Sony sell more Alpha 7R (more expensive) than Alpha 7 (entry ticket to 24x36 mirrorless). Of course, Sony sell many more Alpha 3000 / 5100 than Alpha 7/7R/7S.
11-26-2014, 12:30 PM   #130
Veteran Member
Christine Tham's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,269
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I still don't see how this is a bad thing...
I agree. It's kind of like when people were criticising Apple because the iPhone 5S was selling so much better than the 5C.

Apple was crying ... all the way to the bank.

Sony I think is currently the only major camera manufacturer to be reporting growth in sales and profit, in a declining market.

Yes, their volumes are down, but so are everyone elses.

As for "mass market appeal" - it's getting to the point where 1/4 to 1/3 of the "semi serious" cameras I see people using are Sony NEX cameras (or Olympus). I have noticed a dramatic decline in people carrying DSLRs in public. And usually the people that do carry a DSLR are carrying old entry level models. You know ... the sort of people who use flash trying to capture fish behind tanks in aquariums.

Last edited by Christine Tham; 11-26-2014 at 12:41 PM.
11-26-2014, 01:49 PM   #131
Pentaxian
jcdoss's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Jasper, AR
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,327
QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
As for "mass market appeal" - it's getting to the point where 1/4 to 1/3 of the "semi serious" cameras I see people using are Sony NEX cameras (or Olympus). I have noticed a dramatic decline in people carrying DSLRs in public. And usually the people that do carry a DSLR are carrying old entry level models. You know ... the sort of people who use flash trying to capture fish behind tanks in aquariums.
That's certainly not true where I live, and in fact, I'm seeing more DSLRs running around in public that I've ever seen. I also think I'm seeing more cameras in general, even though everyone also has a cell phone. Most are Canons, and Nikons are in a fairly distant second, although I admit I haven't been keeping score. I'm definitely in the minority with my Sony NEX-6, and I don't think I've spotted an a7, or any of it's ilk in the wild yet.
11-26-2014, 03:20 PM   #132
Veteran Member
Christine Tham's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,269
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
That's certainly not true where I live, and in fact, I'm seeing more DSLRs running around in public that I've ever seen. I also think I'm seeing more cameras in general, even though everyone also has a cell phone. Most are Canons, and Nikons are in a fairly distant second, although I admit I haven't been keeping score. I'm definitely in the minority with my Sony NEX-6, and I don't think I've spotted an a7, or any of it's ilk in the wild yet.
It definitely depends on where you live. The US is definitely lagging behind in the worldwide trend, Asia is probably leading.

Australia is probably ahead of Europe, behind Asia.

In Australia, DSLR camera sales have slowed down to a crawl. JB Hi Fi and Dick Smith are now almost permanently advertising 10-15% markdowns on DSLR bodies - no one is buying. I almost never see anyone carrying a recent DSLR model. On a recent photowalk, the only new DSLR model I saw was a D750 - which was a loaner from Nikon. Everyone else was carrying Sony, Olympus. Two A6000, my old NEX6, EM1 ...

Heck I have even seen more Leica Ms in the wild compared to a high end Canikon. A few weeks ago, a guy carrying a black Leica M was sitting next to us in a cafe. The other day I saw a guy carrying a gorgeous silver Leica M - he took a photo of me and showed it to me - I complimented him on his camera.
11-26-2014, 06:48 PM   #133
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: La Crescenta, CA
Posts: 7,450
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Alpha 7R is supposedly the best-selling camera among the A7/A7R/A7S series, i.e Sony sell more Alpha 7R (more expensive) than Alpha 7 (entry ticket to 24x36 mirrorless). Of course, Sony sell many more Alpha 3000 / 5100 than Alpha 7/7R/7S.
Ah, that makes more sense.
11-26-2014, 07:04 PM   #134
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
RobA_Oz's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,804
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I still don't see how this is a bad thing...
It's not a bad thing if you're making a good profit from a niche product, and the A7 line is a niche product, because of its present appeal to a comparatively small group of enthusiasts. It is not such a good thing if you're pricing it to undercut your rival's products and gain market share, unless you've factored in realistic larger longer-term sales predictions. If you have a cash cow that can subsidise early losses (or even low profits) that's well and good, but I think the point was being made that Sony's cash cows are not obvious.

This, of course, is from the seller's viewpoint. Buyers might have a different perspective, but perhaps not for long if the product doesn't last in the marketplace.
11-26-2014, 08:00 PM   #135
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Montréal QC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,333
QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
You know ... the sort of people who use flash trying to capture fish behind tanks in aquariums.
And I always thought the fish were in the tanks, not behind them... (Sorry, couldn't resist. )
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
a7, a7ii, a7ii and a9, action, battery, body, cam, camera, customers, dslr, duo, feature, feedback, frames, grip, ibis, million, model, nex, pentax, priority, product, products, sec, sheets, size, sony, sony a7ii, steve, terms, weight
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
new Sony Z3 waterproof smartphones with 25mm lens, 12,800 iso and 4K video jogiba Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 6 09-04-2014 08:51 PM
New Hasselblad H5D 200c with Sony sensor takes 200 megapixel pictures jogiba Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 8 08-23-2014 10:11 PM
Sony FDR-AX100 4K Handycam with 1" sensor and 12x optical Zeiss lens and 15mp stills jogiba Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 7 03-21-2014 01:14 PM
Sony RX10 with 24-200mm f2.8 zoom and 1" sensor ! jogiba Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 16 02-06-2014 01:13 PM
What do you think of Sony's new a7 and a7r? OldNoob Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 104 12-31-2013 06:39 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:02 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top