Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
11-20-2014, 12:04 AM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Excellent! Hopefully someday soon IBIS will be a feature included in every camera body.

11-20-2014, 12:54 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
About SR induced blur... In my first K-5 it seemed to cause a lot of IQ degradation, even when holding it handheld but very steady. So that tought me (falsely) that SR does more damage then good. Falsely, because my second K-5 didn't suffer from it at all. Revealing that there was something wrong or that there was some sort of copy variation with my first K-5.
11-20-2014, 01:26 AM - 3 Likes   #48
Veteran Member

Sony seem to have been doing a lot of copying from Pentax recently, from their IBIS tech, even down to the models they use in their ads LOL . Pictures below related:

uncanny resemblance 1:

uncanny resemblance 2:

I hope Ricoh are getting license and royalty payments from all this.
11-20-2014, 02:06 AM   #49
Veteran Member

That is is one epic looking and sounding video.

11-20-2014, 02:29 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
You should have told me you wanted one. Sony offered one to me for a great price (I am not allowed to reveal it but let's say it's a very substantial discount) but I declined because I am waiting for the A9. Unfortunately that offer is no longer available.
No worries, Chris. In the end I might just pick up a regular A7 for peanuts to mount my Pentax lenses when people start dumping them to buy new FE bodies Silent mode and crazy high ISO capacity in A7s are nice to have, but is it worth about twice as much? I am not sure.
11-20-2014, 02:29 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A lot of doom and gloom for Pentax in the reactions here in this thread. But I think Pentax is more then merely SR. They've never been the only ones with SR, and that was never an issue for them before.

Nevertheless... I hope this will bring the price down on the A7s. Or maybe it will give some nice used A7s options. I jumped right on the A7r, not realising an A7s was on the horizon.
11-20-2014, 02:44 AM - 1 Like   #52
Veteran Member

I just hope Ricoh sees this as a challenge to overcome, rather than an obstacle to shy away from.

11-20-2014, 02:52 AM - 1 Like   #53
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I just hope Ricoh sees this as a challenge to overcome, rather than an obstacle to shy away from.
Or analyse what to do next... forever.

In Holland we have a saying: If you remain exactly the same long enough, you'll be unique eventually.
11-20-2014, 07:12 AM   #54
Veteran Member

I think all stabilisation systems acknowledge the risk of 'self-induced blur' or other IQ damaging stuff being introduced when the camera body (or lens) is tripod mounted. Nikon, for example, in the manual for the 70-200 with VR, says to turn off VR when using it tripod mounted.
But most companies automatically turn IBIS off when you set the camera to timer or are using a remote. The risk is extremely low. The reason image stabilization is used at all is that the IQ advantages great exceed the risk.
11-20-2014, 08:24 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sony seem to have been doing a lot of copying from Pentax recently, from their IBIS tech, even down to the models they use in their ads LOL . Pictures below related:

uncanny resemblance 1:

uncanny resemblance 2:

I hope Ricoh are getting license and royalty payments from all this.
Ricoh could very well be getting some payments for this. At the very least they could be involved in some sort of private technical knowledge sharing with Sony.

Perhaps they are getting access to FF sensors one year after release instead of payments? Just a thought.
11-20-2014, 08:25 AM   #56
Pentaxian

My guess/hope is that CP+ will bring a Pentax/Ricoh version of more or less this - a mirrorless full frame with IBIS and a new shorter registration mount along with adapters (motorized or not) for Pentax K-mount lenses. Questions would be 1) will that new mount be completely new, or will there be a deal with someone (ahem) to create an alliance simillar to m4/3? 2) What lenses would they release at the same time?

That would be a huge announcement, but I think if Ricoh are serious about competing in photography, they need to get a move on...
11-20-2014, 09:57 AM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Ricoh could very well be getting some payments for this. At the very least they could be involved in some sort of private technical knowledge sharing with Sony.
If this were true, then this forum would have to re-instate Jogiba.
11-20-2014, 12:17 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
If this were true, then this forum would have to re-instate Jogiba.
What happened? Did I miss something? I had been wondering why he is silent all of a sudden. He was becoming my primary source of camera news
11-20-2014, 12:34 PM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
What happened? Did I miss something? I had been wondering why he is silent all of a sudden. He was becoming my primary source of camera news
I'm sure you can still find him in the Sony forums, and that will be fitting since all his news are always Sony related...

I liked the guy, I wish he behaved in a more polite and respectful way and he would still be here.
11-20-2014, 01:01 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
My guess/hope is that CP+ will bring a Pentax/Ricoh version of more or less this - a mirrorless full frame with IBIS and a new shorter registration mount along with adapters (motorized or not) for Pentax K-mount lenses. Questions would be 1) will that new mount be completely new, or will there be a deal with someone (ahem) to create an alliance simillar to m4/3? 2) What lenses would they release at the same time?

That would be a huge announcement, but I think if Ricoh are serious about competing in photography, they need to get a move on...
That would be my preference too, although I've read that Sony have overdone the short registration distance and overall diameter of the mount with the result that wide-angles are very tricky on it. A trap to be avoided or simply not true? I don't really mind which company produces an FF IBIS MILC (dread terms! Why not just call her Betty) but would prefer a Canon, Nikon, Fuji,, Olympus or Pentax system over a Sony one tbh. I like to feel I am buying into a system I can stay with, at least for a good while. Nothing wrong with Sony I hasten to add but if there was a choice it would not be my #1. I know that for a lot of folks it would be their #1. Anyway, I'm glad that Sony are showing willing and really mixing it with the established players. Good for them.