Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
11-23-2014, 09:55 PM   #106
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by str8talk83 Quote
As the line matures it may be more of a stand alone product, but I feel that the current line is a niche that doesn't appeal to everyone and probably isn't the best option for most by itself.
I think that Sony initially started out thinking the Alpha FE camera would be a niche product but its already maturing into a stand alone system. Why? More and more mainstreamers don't want to carry big packs anymore. Read Christine's statement about this being the max size camera she would want to carry. Don, the guy that i had lunch with on Friday - who has the a7s and the a7r, says that 9 out of 10 shots are taken with his smaller A6000 or RX100. It happened to be his 76th birthday when we had lunch.

Christine and my friend Don are not alone. A month ago, Steve, another friend from the club who also is an accomplished Audubon shooter, brought his FF Canon, lenses, and his new Olympus m43 OMD to Cuba a few months ago. Said he never used his Canon, enjoyed shooting with the Olympus and regretted not leaving his Canon at home. (he didn't do any bird shooting on this trip-to be fair) Said the Olympus 5 axis stability program was awesome.

Unless you make a living shooting NFL football, or studio advertising copy or area a big-time wedding/special event shooter, i see many more togs going for lightweight MILCs.

Photography does not have to be a "weightlifting program".

11-23-2014, 11:08 PM   #107
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Further update - initial testing of IBIS quite promising - 1/50 razor sharp for 200mm etc.
11-24-2014, 09:45 AM   #108
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Further update - initial testing of IBIS quite promising - 1/50 razor sharp for 200mm etc.
Is this your own personal testing, or is there a link? I'm very much looking forward to this camera.
11-24-2014, 11:34 AM   #109
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Is this your own personal testing, or is there a link? I'm very much looking forward to this camera.
Sony Product Manager.

Also the "smearing" of bright lights that some A7 owners have reported (due to internal reflections on the filter array) "may" have been fixed.

11-24-2014, 11:36 AM   #110
Pentaxian

I'm seeing a LOT of buzz around this camera on photography sites, more than any other camera I've seen recently. It's as if people are discovering now that IBIS can be a good thing...
11-24-2014, 11:46 AM   #111
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I'm seeing a LOT of buzz around this camera on photography sites, more than any other camera I've seen recently. It's as if people are discovering now that IBIS can be a good thing...
Possibly dreaming, but this might be good to pave the way for a little more media attention if Pentax were to release something similar...
11-24-2014, 12:12 PM   #112
Veteran Member

Pentax's SR is nice for Pentax glass, but you are still using FF glass on APS cameras...and you are stuck with K-mount glass.

Olympus' IBIS is also good...you can pretty much use any vintage glass you can think of...but you are using FF glass on micro 4/3.

This Sony removes the restrictions of using FF glass on a smaller sensor and being tied to a single mount.
Oh, and the sensor is at the top of the heap (for non-MF cameras).
It is a big deal.

11-24-2014, 12:24 PM   #113
Veteran Member

It's Sony's mainstream camera, it's designed to appeal to enthusiasts.

Interestingly though, someone told me Sony's bestselling camera is actually the A7r - it outsells its siblings 2 to 1.
11-24-2014, 10:02 PM   #114
Veteran Member

I wonder if this Sony 5-axix IBIS is one of the results of the 2012 announced Olympus-Sony collaboration?

Olympus and Sony confirm $397m tie-up to provide much-needed investment: Digital Photography Review
11-25-2014, 01:02 AM   #115
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Interestingly though, someone told me Sony's bestselling camera is actually the A7r - it outsells its siblings 2 to 1.
Yes, I read that too somewhere. I assumed it was due to people subconsciously still preferring higher MP counts. Because that's how my mind worked when I got the A7r. It was released together with the A7. And I admit, I wanted that "D800 sensor". But, if I had known the A7s was just around the corner, I would have waited for that instead.
11-25-2014, 01:48 AM   #116
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Yes, I read that too somewhere. I assumed it was due to people subconsciously still preferring higher MP counts. Because that's how my mind worked when I got the A7r. It was released together with the A7. And I admit, I wanted that "D800 sensor". But, if I had known the A7s was just around the corner, I would have waited for that instead.
So what purpose would you want the A7S for? I have a friend who likes it just for stills - you too?
11-25-2014, 03:00 AM   #117
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
So what purpose would you want the A7S for? I have a friend who likes it just for stills - you too?
I'm a bigtime fan of lowlight and nighttime photography. Of course any camera can do that when it's stabilised and no moving subjects are in the frame. But I've seen so much wonderful results online from the A7s. It opens up a lot more flexibility.
11-25-2014, 07:36 AM   #118
Veteran Member

It's Sony's mainstream camera, it's designed to appeal to enthusiasts.

This doesn't really say good things for Sony, tbh.
11-25-2014, 09:06 AM   #119
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
This doesn't really say good things for Sony, tbh.
How so?
11-25-2014, 10:49 AM   #120
Pentaxian

Sony A7 II's SteadyShot in action: