Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2014, 10:46 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Maybe I am being dense but I just do not understand what this post is about. Why would Sony releasing a camera make me not buy a Pentax? Or Canon or Nikon for that matter? Seems as if Sony or someone releases a new camera every week. Sorry, not trying to be argumentative, I just don't understand what Sony making yet another camera has to do with Pentax.
Its a competing product which directly affects success of Pentax model sales as it removing their competitive advantage. Unless we see faster development from Pentax, it will be behind on all technological fronts. This latest announcement already shows that small full-frame with SR is will no longer be a unique selling point if the Pentax full-frame camera ever finally materializes.

Owning both a K3 and a Sony A7s, i can see how Pentax cameras are going to be outclassed quite soon in all categories unless they make some serious development efforts.

11-19-2014, 10:47 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ayoh Quote
Well what advantage in the market place does Pentax offer now? SR? Video? AF? small size? full-frame? "weather sealing"? all their niches are eroded as they are just too small and slow to act.
Native K-mount support with AF and aperture control functions and also a OVF for those who prefer it.
11-19-2014, 10:48 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Every new camera that is released by Pentax or any other manufacturer prompts the PID comments.
But they are still here
Yup, and they will continue to be here. I am optimistic

---------- Post added 11-20-14 at 12:50 AM ----------

Owning both a K3 and a Sony A7s, i can see how Pentax cameras are going to be outclassed quite soon in all categories unless they make some serious development efforts.
Those "development efforts" are already underway, and have been for years. Good things are coming...
11-19-2014, 10:57 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Its a competing product which directly affects success of Pentax model sales as it removing their competitive advantage. Unless we see faster development from Pentax, it will be behind on all technological fronts. This latest announcement already shows that small full-frame with SR is will no longer be a unique selling point if the Pentax full-frame camera ever finally materializes.

Yeah I get it is a competing product just like dozens or hundreds of other cameras from Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Fuji, Panasonic, Samsung and others. I don`t see what it has to do with Pentax anymore than D750 or nx-1, it is just another camera that some people will buy and some will not.

Nevermind, obviously this is way over my head sorry I posted.

11-19-2014, 11:00 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Sony saying Pentax is doomed. Pot, meet kettle.
11-19-2014, 11:02 PM - 2 Likes   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RIP = Ricoh Is Pentax
11-19-2014, 11:15 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Uh, no thanks it's a Sony.
The only thing they do well are sensors and then it takes Pentax to implement them properly.
when? after all users move?

11-19-2014, 11:17 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The thread title is pretty asinine, however I have to say that if Pentax came out with a similarly-featured camera I for one would be drooling. I've handled, but not shot extensively with, a friend's A7. Yeah, it's a little "techy" and a little less "camera-y" than my K-5II, but I can't argue with the results he gets.

The A7-series is out of my price range anyway, but if there was anything besides ergonomics (and no K-mount) that I would have wanted, it's IBIS. This is the first 135 mirrorless with it, AFAIK...very surprised it took this long.
11-19-2014, 11:22 PM   #24
Veteran Member

This thread means only to me that - "if Sony can do it, Pentax will likely do it better" and it is a good news; so what exactly is the problem?

Did Ricoh get a letter from Sony saying "you are dead now ~~ RIP"?
11-19-2014, 11:26 PM   #25

Wonder if Sony's raws are still borked.

diglloyd: Sony?s 11+7-bit Delta Compression, Posterization in Some Situations
11-19-2014, 11:35 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax RIP Well, theres one less reason to own a Pentax camera.
Pentax is dead because Sony's new full-frame mirrorless will outsell Pentax's full-frame mirrorless?

---------- Post added 11-19-14 at 11:44 PM ----------

It's absurd to think that one new camera will kill Pentax as a business.
It's absurd to think that one new camera in one specific class of camera will kill a brand that makes a bunch of different cameras in a bunch of classes different than said new camera.

Lets apply this logic to other cameras and brands.

RIP Nikon. Fujifilm just announced a new rangefinder mirrorless.
RIP Canon. Panasonic just announced a M43 camera that shoots 4K.
RIP Olympus. Canon just announced a new cine DSLR.
RIP Sony. Pentax just announced a new medium format DSLR.
11-20-2014, 12:03 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Rather than supporting the notion that Pentax is dead due to Sony, I would like to turn it around by suggesting that products like the A7II IBIS will probably attract Ricoh management's 'market studying' attention, and spur their competitive instrincts.

Which will probably help Pentax engineers (who no doubt have a pile of great ideas, patents and interesting tech) get more support for innovations of their own.
11-20-2014, 12:33 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Rather than supporting the notion that Pentax is dead due to Sony, I would like to turn it around by suggesting that products like the A7II IBIS will probably attract Ricoh management's 'market studying' attention, and spur their competitive instrincts.

Which will probably help Pentax engineers (who no doubt have a pile of great ideas, patents and interesting tech) get more support for innovations of their own.
Ha..ha.. I hope they did not just do a "Ok, back to the drawing board and starting 'thinking about it'. Again. "

I see where OP is coming from.
Frankly, I am no Sony lover, but the A7 has earned my respect.
Very grudgingly, I have to say that they do have a 'game changer' that has shaken the market.
Over here in Asia, A7 take up rate is high with many enthusiasts at least getting/considering it as at least a 2nd system.
US market, different culture, different hand size, different weather, demographics, it might be different.

FF, IBIS, light lenses, adapt almost any lens.
I shy from saying small lenses as the lenses are actually not that small even compared to a Pentax lens with adapter (looking at my FE55 vs 50/1.7 or 50/1.4 + adapter)
UWA, like FE16-35 is a bit smaller than the Canikon competition, but not by miles.
Still, all said, very attractive option that isn't too big for FF (esp. now with IBIS which Canikon does not have)

Canikon will also be shaken (if not more).
Suddenly, unless the user got very specific needs, their FF options have become over large and no IBIS.

Pentax can still come up with their take of it with the better Pentax ergonomics, interface (that makes sense photographically), as small if not small lenses, good Pentax lenses, colors, etc.
Pentax makes em right..
But the question is IF Pentax will even 'think about it'

Edit : Add..

However, as an A7 user, the new camera does not interest me at all.
The system's problems lies in things that I will have to wait and see if they are addressed on it.

1. Sensor reflection
2. Edge issues with RF and legacy wides due to sensor stack (I think FE lenses are already designed in, so little hope this will be changed)
3. They need to know that "LCD OFF" setting is not just make the LCD show Black.
4. Select-able Zoom in magnification for MF
5. Poor bracketing options (rigid and not user selectable)
6. Timer release for bracketing
7. Configurable button for "Settings shown on display" (need for quick use of strobing)
8. Configurable button to turn on the Remote trigger

Other things (that would be welcome)
1. Even better EVF (seems to be the same one)
2. Better Sensor (eg. no AA filter or just better ISO/DR/etc) (probably not)

Last edited by pinholecam; 11-20-2014 at 01:03 AM.
11-20-2014, 12:39 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I have three must-haves in a camera body: (1) K mount, (2) optical viewfinder, and (3) weather sealing. And I'm sure that many Pentaxians feel the same, so I don't see this body making a huge dent.
11-20-2014, 12:47 AM   #30
Banned

Well maybe we get this in 2016.
Closed Thread