Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
11-20-2014, 08:15 AM - 1 Like   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Yeah but 8 years ago you could have said, "Canon offers a full frame digital camera. Pentax doesn't. RIP."

Then 6 years ago you could have said "Nikon and Canon offer a full frame digital camera. Pentax doesn't. RIP".

Then some 4 years ago you could have said "Sony, Nikon and Canon offer a full frame digital camera. Pentax doesn't. RIP".

Now just because Sony put IBIS in their full frame mirrorless camera (that Pentax already doesn't compete with, and might never try to), all of a sudden, the situation got horribly worse? And you don't see why the thread doesn't make sense at all?
So, Pentax should just rely on its userbase waiting forever. Nice businessmodel...

11-20-2014, 08:16 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What the viewpoint that's not being explored is, how many people are going to give up on Sony now, and buy a Pentax because hey don't like the direction Sony is going.The counter argument to "this is going to cost Pentax" is, "this is going to cost Sony". The assumption that this isn't going to be a Pentax win.. is just that, an assumption. Without some kind of hard stats on people migrating between platforms, I think it would be ignorant to even hazard a guess as to how various manufacturers are doing in competition with each other, or what the effect of a new product might be.
11-20-2014, 08:29 AM - 1 Like   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
So, Pentax should just rely on its userbase waiting forever. Nice businessmodel...
This is a joke right? Too much negativity.
We get new members to this forum on a daily basis, I'm sure they are a small percentage of new Pentax users overall.
Just check how many times we have to explain why their new camera makes a clunk sound
11-20-2014, 08:30 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
What the viewpoint that's not being explored is, how many people are going to give up on Sony now, and buy a Pentax because hey don't like the direction Sony is going.
I believe this is Sony's biggest fault as a business. They seem to have no direction. They create then abandon formats far too often for me to ever trust them.

Pentax has stayed true to the K mount for decades.

11-20-2014, 08:47 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bsamcash Quote
I believe this is Sony's biggest fault as a business. They seem to have no direction. They create then abandon formats far too often for me to ever trust them.

Pentax has stayed true to the K mount for decades.
How many formats did Sony abandon? They seem to be very serious about their mirrorless mount. Mind you, Pentax has made some funky direction-switches in the past too. Sans mount changes then.
11-20-2014, 09:02 AM   #51
Veteran Member

I thought Pentax was doomed because video wasn't good enough.
Is the video on the A7ii good enough for the video kids?
If I was looking for a video camera, I would consider a Sony, but probably not this Sony.
11-20-2014, 09:29 AM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
This is a joke right? Too much negativity.
We get new members to this forum on a daily basis, I'm sure they are a small percentage of new Pentax users overall.
Just check how many times we have to explain why their new camera makes a clunk sound
That's a good one! (and a good metric, too)

11-20-2014, 09:34 AM   #53
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Yeah but 8 years ago you could have said, "Canon offers a full frame digital camera. Pentax doesn't. RIP."

Then 6 years ago you could have said "Nikon and Canon offer a full frame digital camera. Pentax doesn't. RIP".

Then some 4 years ago you could have said "Sony, Nikon and Canon offer a full frame digital camera. Pentax doesn't. RIP".
Me? You take me for somebody else. It's not my thread.

Pentax and Minolta were photo engineering companies for a long time and brought a lot of inventions to the world of photo gears.That's why this thread makes sense.
11-20-2014, 09:37 AM   #54
Pentaxian

How many formats did Sony abandon? They seem to be very serious about their mirrorless mount. Mind you, Pentax has made some funky direction-switches in the past too. Sans mount changes then.
In 8 years? Compared to Pentax/Asahi Optical decades of existence?
Sony already gave up on DSLRs (though not on the Alpha mount), and I'm expecting a full transition to the E-mount. But, they're doing pretty well on the MILC arena so I won't hold that against them. I'll just keep not buying their cameras
11-20-2014, 09:55 AM   #55
Pentaxian

Now you're just using a false dichotomy to afirm that I say that Pentax shouldn't change at all.

I never said that. I said Pentax isn't dead. Of course I'd like to see a list of new products from Pentax, including a full frame camera, and maybe an APS-C mirrorless (new mount that would also support FF, with a large throat for very fast lenses).

I was saying the basis for this thread is nonsense - there's been other things that dented into Pentax's appeal even more than the A7II. I never said Pentax doesn't need new products.

---------- Post added 11-20-14 at 11:59 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Me? You take me for somebody else. It's not my thread.

Pentax and Minolta were photo engineering companies for a long time and brought a lot of inventions to the world of photo gears.That's why this thread makes sense.
No, I wasn't saying you personally "You" in the US sometimes is used like "one" is in more formal English... instead of "one could say...", we informally say "you could say...". So, sorry about the confusion

I agree that Ricoh moves a bit slower than most of us would like. But I also see that their latest products have been pretty solid and well thought of. So I'll give them the benefit of the doubt... for now.
11-20-2014, 10:19 AM   #56
ogl
Banned

Lets wait a bit...If CP+ won't bring us something outstanding it would be sad...
11-20-2014, 10:35 AM - 2 Likes   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The counter argument to "this is going to cost Pentax" is, "this is going to cost Sony". The assumption that this isn't going to be a Pentax win
I'm not sure it's going to cost either company, as it seems to Pentax and Sony are, as companies, poles apart, appealing to a very different customer basis. Sony tends to appeal to gearheads, neophiles, people who want cutting edge technology, whereas Pentax is a conservative, cautious, old-school company appealing to old-school photographers who desire photographer-centric, rather than engineer-centric gear. As far as I can tell, the reason why some posters seem to want Pentax to emulate Sony is because they simply don't symphathize with Pentax's basic old school philosophy. In short, they should've never become Pentax users because Pentax will never conform to their ideals. Pentax (or Ricoh) is never going to be able innovate as fast or as well as Sony. They don't have the resources, the company DNA, or the sort of company ideals to do that. But then Sony will never produce a camera as well designed as the K-5 series.

I don't want to see camera companies become more like each other. That sort of homogenization will simply lead to less choices in the market place. I would prefer Pentax to be Pentax, and Sony to be Sony. Each company appeals to a separate photographer-demographic. Why must all companies only serve the gearhead/neophile demographic? Old school photographers buy camera gear as well.
11-20-2014, 10:54 AM - 1 Like   #58
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

As the forum rules prohibit brand bashing, and the opening sentence by the OP makes it pretty clear that the purpose of this thread is to bash Pentax, this one's done.

This way to the egress, folks. Don't miss the egress......................

closed

Last edited by Parallax; 11-20-2014 at 11:01 AM.
Closed Thread