Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-20-2014, 02:18 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Sony 'gets' it right (rage Pentax, rage!) - A thread about Video Features

For everyone who hates the 'electronic' SR and wants the Sensor Shift technology re-enabled!

Fills me with ARRRRGH!! to know Pentax had this for video, and have disabled it!

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 11-27-2014 at 08:49 AM.
11-20-2014, 02:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well keep in mind that is a propaganda video, of course it will show mind-blowing results. But I do agree, the digital SR in video is terrible - it crops the frame, it adds wobble, its not that effective..
If Pentax is buying sensors from Sony, maybe they can just bundle it with the SR system
11-20-2014, 04:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
5 stabilisation axis ? For me 3 axis are enough to provide stabilisation (2 translations and 1 rotation)
11-20-2014, 04:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Already posted, quite a debate too
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/76-non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/279654-pentax-rip.html

11-20-2014, 04:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Olympus had this for a while, though only mFT of course, and their video functionality, while outputting actually pretty good video was so limited in settings that it made it useless.

@Na Horuk: The problem isn't the technology. Pentax has it. It isn't the software. Pentax has it (just try live view). The problem is that for some reason Pentax has deactivated the feature.

Btw., Sony offers electronic SR too, and it is miles ahead of Pentaxes version of electronic SR (it seems to be able to counter additional rolling shutter artefacts), but still Sony realizes that mechanical SR is better.

@goubejp: The additional axes are probably to counter tilting the camera rather than shifting... I can see some artefacts due to that on my K-5 in video... much better than electronic SR of course, but not perfect.

I heard rumours that Sony has licensed or some sort of deal with Olympus to get their SR tech. Looks like this is the result.

Dear Pentax: Wake the f*** up. You had a significant lead that could have resulted in more sales, but threw it away. How long until Samsung and Panasonic offer this and really push you out of the market?
11-20-2014, 04:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
The problem is that for some reason Pentax has deactivated the feature.
Pentax claims its because of the sound the SR makes. The SR is quite loud, if you try older models, and it does get picked up by microphones in video mode.
11-20-2014, 04:36 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Pentax claims its because of the sound the SR makes. The SR is quite loud, if you try older models, and it does get picked up by microphones in video mode.
For the life of me, I am unable to hear it. Is it only with the onboard mono-mic maybe? What sound is it? Is it the clicking? Because that was the first thing I stopped using. Anyway, it was overkill. Disabling mechanical SR in video to solve a little sound is like cutting off your whole leg to remove a wart on your big toe. Or rather, like removing the onboard flash, because it can in some cases cast a shadow when using larger lenses.

11-20-2014, 04:41 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
For the life of me, I am unable to hear it.
Yeh, I never heard it with my K-7.
I just played my K-7 vids again, still can't hear it. I've always considered that excuse as total BS.
11-20-2014, 04:48 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
For the life of me, I am unable to hear it. Is it only with the onboard mono-mic maybe? What sound is it? Is it the clicking? Because that was the first thing I stopped using. Anyway, it was overkill. Disabling mechanical SR in video to solve a little sound is like cutting off your whole leg to remove a wart on your big toe. Or rather, like removing the onboard flash, because it can in some cases cast a shadow when using larger lenses.
It is only with the onboard mic. When you use the onboard mic and have the mechanical SR on, you get an electronic high pitched sound sometimes.

Why anyone would use that microphone for even semi professional results is beyond me. Pentax definitely should have left it as an option in the menus to use mechanical SR and just putting a warning somewhere that using it with the onboard mic would result in this noise. Then it is on the user as to whether or not they want to capture sound some other way (I use an external mic), not use the mechanical SR, or just deal with the occasional odd noises.
11-20-2014, 05:01 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
...you get an electronic high pitched sound sometimes..
Can it be heard over the AGC 'hiss' ??? I doubt it. Certainly can't with the K-7 videos of mine.
11-20-2014, 05:08 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I made cables so I could use external mics,... and have used them to test them, as 99% of everything quiet enough to hear the Sensor Shift, I'd be working with a dedicated sound guy.

QuoteQuote:
Can it be heard over the AGC 'hiss' ???
You mean the background noise from the 32kHz sample rate on the K-01 ?
The only time that hiss goes away is when you're filming a rock concert or a racecar.
11-20-2014, 06:11 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
The only time that hiss goes away is when you're filming a rock concert or a racecar.
I bought myself an Azden FMX that has AGC control. Quite happy with that.

On the above,

I was starting to think of buying myself a glidecam or some sort of gimbal device.
Now Sony bringing this to the table... on top of an already more advanced camera for videoshooting than the K3.
However, a stabilizing device can be used in future with any cam.
Confusing
11-20-2014, 06:58 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Wait for the a7S II. Must surely come sooner or later...

I can't hear the sound the SR makes either (and SR works in my K-5), using the built in mic. Maybe if I actually tried to make it heard... i.e. in a completely quiet room and violently shaking around the camera so that hits the limits, then maybe.

It is simply a minor, minor issue that Pentax has countered with a huge overreaction. Especially considering the poor quality of the built in mic.

Glidecams aren't that easy to use. A friend has done that, and he has trouble getting it to turn when he wants it to, or sometimes wind will turn the camera for him...
11-20-2014, 07:51 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Maybe the SR in the K-3 overheats, maybe it's just using too much power, maybe, maybe, maybe... ;-)
11-20-2014, 08:22 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
Maybe the SR in the K-3 overheats, maybe it's just using too much power, maybe, maybe, maybe... ;-)
I am not a believer of the noise theory. even when pentax says so.
Closed Thread