Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-29-2014, 01:08 AM   #1

Incoming: X100....

Oooops.... I've been bad! Black Friday made me do it!
I've been curious about the X100 for a long time, but it has always been grossly out of my price range. A camera shop had a used one in at a very reasonable price (cheaper than most that were being sold on a certain auction site), they offer finance and it comes with 6 months warranty (again, better than evil bay!). Black Friday they offered further discount... I cracked!

Well, I'm hoping it will be a good compliment to my k30! I've been wanting a wide angle fixed lens set up to help me develop my composure skills. I do feel a bit worried I may neglect my k30, but I couldn't justify paying more for the 21mm limited lens than the x100! And, tbh, I'd probably go for the sigma 10-20 for my wide angle needs on k30 (not exactly compact though!).

How do people find the auto mode? I don't tend to use auto myself, but I have a new son and I'm hoping I can encourage other people to pick up the camera and take pictures. At the moment there are too few pics with me in them, I think ppl tend to be intimidated at the k30.

I've got the manual to read, but does anybody have some snippets of wisdom to getting the most out of the x100?

11-29-2014, 04:59 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

I have borrowed one from a friend several times; great camera. Just make sure you update the firmware as it is an huge improvement.

Have fun with it. I got to borrow it again.
12-02-2014, 05:40 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have one and love it. I also have an X10. Very complementary to the Pentax DSLRs. Have fun!
12-09-2014, 10:43 AM   #4

Original Poster
I've had the camera just over a week, and I'm loving it. The camera shop sent it with some unexpected freebies, so I was stoked! I was a bit concerned that I would be neglecting my K30, but they are two very different beasts with different strengths and weaknesses.

I'm really enjoying the look and feel of is the x100. It's size is a good compromise between compactness and ergonomics, the silent operation is music to my ears, and the hybrid viewfinder is a revelation.

On the flip side, the negative points; switching auto iso on and off is buried too far into the menu system and setting it up isn't quite as simple as it looks, I find the menu button difficult to use, and the focusing is occasionally painful.

Also, I discounted the Ricoh GR because I'm not a wide angle kind of guy and I thought the GR maybe too wide. In reality, there have been instances where I'd have welcomed the extra mm!

But overall, I'm very happy with X100.

12-10-2014, 08:49 AM   #5

Another happy X100 user here, I haven't touched my Pentax gear since receiving it a few months ago and am thinking of selling most of my Pentax gear except the body and macro/tele lenses

Greatest pros:
-viewfinder (both the evf and ovf)
-JPG quality
- built in film and B&W filter modes
- build quality, manual controls
- high flash sync speed and great ttl when using the onboard flash as a fill flash (which you can do in broad daylight!)
- built in ND filter
- silent

biggest cons:
- manual focus is horrible even with the newest firmware and especially if you are used to Pentax limited lenses the ring is as smooth as a limited's but it just doesn't do anything!
- the minimum focus distance for macro mode is too large.
- in AF mode the camera often focuses on the background instead of the subject with close subjects, especially when using the optical viewfinder. This is a major drawback as you can't just hand the camera to someone who never used it without setting it to electronic viewfinder and macro mode.
- auto iso switching is a pain to change, there should have been a dedicated iso button
- Hood and adapter needed to mount filters do not come included with the standard model. Cheap third party alternatives are available.