Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2014, 06:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

NIkon built in flash power

Hey all, went out and took some pics in the rain a few days ago. Was basically trying to freeze some falling water droplets. Things turned out pretty well but unfortunately there was a little blur. I used to the built in flash and i suspect this was because the power on the flash was too low (the flash duration was too long.) Is there anyway to increase the power on the built in flash?

Last edited by neostyles; 02-07-2015 at 12:51 PM.
12-12-2014, 09:01 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I thought you had a Metz 52? Just use that instead.
12-12-2014, 09:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This is a great idea however im not sure if it is weather sealed. Its been raining pretty hard over here the last few days Either that or i need to find a hands free umbrella. xD
12-12-2014, 09:40 PM   #4

Flash compensation should work. Which Nikon?

12-12-2014, 10:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jm_mac Quote
Flash compensation should work. Which Nikon?
Its a nikon D600
12-13-2014, 01:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Speaking of power.. anyone know of good external battary for nikon? I found this and it looks cool but a little pricey

I would rather have well.. just that, an external battery over the nikon dc power adapter (which is a little pricey too) I need something that i can take places where there wont necessarily be an available dc power outlet. Any suggestions would be welcome! Thanks!
12-13-2014, 03:53 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
Is there anyway to increase the power on the built in flash?
the announced power of built-in flash is usually 12 GN. But often it's more like 9-10 GN in reality.

Clearly, this won't be enought to freeze the motion : you won't be able to close enought the lens to prevent this motion blur. (close more the lens, so only high intensity light go trought the lens. this has an effect close to reducing the flash duration.)
12-13-2014, 04:33 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How much ambient light was there? With flash synch you are at about 1/180s or slower, so unless all illumination coming from flash you will have motion blur. Flash pulse duration is normally fairly quick in the order of 1/2000s to as high as 1/25000s, so should stop most motion.

12-13-2014, 05:25 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
anyone know of good external battary for nikon?
Let me google that for you

What's wrong with the MB-D14 battery grip (or clones)? Add a lithium battery and you will then have 2 Lithium batteries to use up (ie about 1800 shots), plus the option to use AA's.
12-13-2014, 01:27 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nothing is wrong with them. But the battery grip does a lot more than just extend battary life. And im looking for something that can extend your battery life a bit more too. I considered a battery grip, but i just felt like i would be paying for something i wouldnt really be using all of. I already have another backup battery that i can pop in if i need that full other 900 shots.: Sorry i should have mentioned this, but I only would be using this (that is an extended) battary during time lapses. For regular shooting, i can just pop in a backup battery. Most of the time, 900 shots is more than sufficient. In fact, what with the meager shooting opportunities in the town i currently live in a single battery tends to last me around a week. But i want to start doing some longer timelapses and i want that you know level of confidence going in. DC power is fantastic but like i said idk if i will have access to a dc power outlet. I mean, im gonna be moving to an apartment soon and i really doubt i will be able to run a power cord all the way into my room or something i mean, dont get me wrong, it does seem like something that is nice to have and i will prob end up getting one at some point but atm, by priority is to get a a more portable, field ready power source.

Im looking for something like this (this bad boy gives you the equivilent of 4 extra batteries of shooting goodness )
lanparte portable battery for camera

Unfortunately only for canon :/

Last edited by neostyles; 12-13-2014 at 01:36 PM.
12-14-2014, 07:26 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So i emailed the rep for the following thing and from what they told me it actually sounded like if i use the nikon battery adapter instead of the included one for canon. Only thing is that it looks like what is the cheaper one has an xlr outout instead of dc.. So my question is, is there any way to hook up xlr to the nikon battery adapter? Its a pity that most battery grips only give you one extra battery. Some of them are pretty recently graduated student friendly
http://www.amazon.com/Zeikos-ZE-NBGD600-Battery-Power-Nikon/dp/B00AN8U0Y0/re...=1418610469931