Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2014, 01:13 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax K mount to Nikon F mount adapter

Hey guys,

I was browsing B and H and came across this adapter

FotodioX Adapter for Pentax K Lens to Nikon F-Mount PK-NK-G B&H

Having recently picked up a Df, my eyes lit up. Would go from one lens to 10+ immediately. It's reasonably priced, allows focus to infinity and has good reviews. I'll probably pull the trigger and buy it since it's so cheap. One of the reviews said no light metering, which is a huge hassle, but can be worked around. I read some reviews on some M42 to Nikon adapters, and lots of them say the IQ is so bad it's not worth it.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this or any similar adapters (better, worse or otherwise!)

12-17-2014, 01:23 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't overlook the "corrective element" found in the adapter. It acts as a TC and degrades the image quality, so it only really makes sense to adapt normal to telephoto lenses. At just $39, though, I'd say give it a shot.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-17-2014, 02:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Who needs an adapter?
Nikon F fits within Pentax K. Try it.
12-17-2014, 05:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Oops, forgot to watch my language.

I had one of these adapters (m42 to F). It was so incredibly bad it wasn't even funny. It is, however, a cheap way of getting a soft focus lens.

12-17-2014, 06:51 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Don't overlook the "corrective element" found in the adapter. It acts as a TC and degrades the image quality, so it only really makes sense to adapt normal to telephoto lenses. At just $39, though, I'd say give it a shot.
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Oops, forgot to watch my language.

I had one of these adapters (m42 to F). It was so incredibly bad it wasn't even funny. It is, however, a cheap way of getting a soft focus lens.
I saw warnings about the IQ degradation, especially in the M42 adapters or ones with the element, which made me weary. However, it's not a huge investment to try.

I might have to wait until I have something more to buy, as buying from B&H is not always economical when shipping to Canada :P
12-22-2014, 09:40 PM   #6

I have a few unbranded K-mount to F-mount and M42 to F-mount adapters from ebay. The M42 to F-mount adapter has less of a teleconverter effect compared to using an M42 to K-mount adapter alongside a K-mount to F-mount adapter. Aside from the teleconverter effect I've noticed that you could lose somewhere between 1/3 to a full stop of light. Since mine are off brand it may explain some issues I've had with infinity focus; one of my M42 to F-mount adapters doesn't focus to infinity at all.
01-03-2015, 09:23 PM   #7

Location: Milky Way Galaxy, Planet Earth, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster
Photos: Gallery | Albums
?????????

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Who needs an adapter?
Nikon F fits within Pentax K. Try it.
I have a Nikon/Nikkor 180mm/f-2.8 manual focus ED lens, ..basically, use it with an adapter to mount to Canon, which works just dandy...removed the adapter, and just tried it on the K5II, no go..

01-06-2015, 06:08 AM   #8
MJL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use a Kipon M42-NIK adapter (which has a removal correction lens) to mount my SMC Takumar 135-600/6.3 onto a D800. The correction lens seems to be of very high quality becuase I do not notice much IQ change with or without it. Since the D800 is FF and has a much brighter viewfinder, it makes the focusing of such a slow (f/6.3) lens much easier!