Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2014, 06:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Using Pentax > NEX Adapters

Today I received an inexpensive Pentax > NEX lens adapter from Amazon. To me it appears to be a very solid if rudimentary "step down" adapter. There are no controls or contacts whatsoever.

And that's okay. But I just want to make sure now that I can examine it in my hands: it cannot be used with any DA lens, or any lens without aperture controls.

Is this correct? Are there adapters which can?

Thanks!

Dave

Last edited by DavidSKAF3; 12-22-2014 at 06:46 PM.
12-22-2014, 06:56 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DavidSKAF3 Quote
Today I received an inexpensive Pentax > NEX lens adapter from Amazon. To me it appears to be a very solid if rudimentary "step down" adapter. There are no controls or contacts whatsoever.

And that's okay. But I just want to make sure now that I can examine it in my hands: it cannot be used with any DA lens, or any lens without aperture controls.

Is this correct? Are there adapters which can?

Thanks!

Dave
Yes you need aperture ring or an adapter with an aperture control
12-22-2014, 08:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you.

I looked at some adapters that have aperture controls, but there aren't any indicators. There is only a lock switch/ring.

How do these work?

Dave
12-22-2014, 09:50 PM   #4
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
it's rather confusing... for instance, the nex to canon fd adapter has a lock switch ring on the adapter, but it's different... you have to turn the adapter ring all the way around, which allows you to use the aperture ring on the lens.

the closest thing to your da pentax adapter would be the nikon "g" adapters, which use the ring on the adapter to change the aperture on the lens.

since one aperture stop equals one stop of shutter speed, you can approximate ring position to the equivalent exposure, and mark the ring with that aperture.

if the da lens holds its aperture after removal from the camera, you could mount it on the adapter, turn the ring to just where it hits the lever, and mark the adapter with that aperture?

12-23-2014, 07:38 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
it's rather confusing... for instance, the nex to canon fd adapter has a lock switch ring on the adapter, but it's different... you have to turn the adapter ring all the way around, which allows you to use the aperture ring on the lens.

the closest thing to your da pentax adapter would be the nikon "g" adapters, which use the ring on the adapter to change the aperture on the lens.

since one aperture stop equals one stop of shutter speed, you can approximate ring position to the equivalent exposure, and mark the ring with that aperture.

if the da lens holds its aperture after removal from the camera, you could mount it on the adapter, turn the ring to just where it hits the lever, and mark the adapter with that aperture?
But the problem is that the Fotodiox adapters with the aperture ring have no clicks! The ring just goes smoothly from side to side and you have to guess where you are. Doable but annoying.
12-23-2014, 09:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Is there an adapter with aperture clicks?

Thanks, guys!
12-24-2014, 06:06 PM   #7
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
But the problem is that the Fotodiox adapters with the aperture ring have no clicks! The ring just goes smoothly from side to side and you have to guess where you are. Doable but annoying.
no guessing if you calculate and mark the adapter ring, you can see where the aperture stops are... certainly not a pro solution but at least it gets you in the ball park.

i don't know of any nex to k-mount adapter that has actual physical stops on it.

12-26-2014, 11:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Today I received a second adapter, and this one has aperture control. It's a ring around the barrel, marked "locked" and "unlocked." It doesn't rotate very far at all. Its use isn't immediately clear to me. Seeking some instruction.

Thanks!

Dave
12-27-2014, 08:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DavidSKAF3 Quote
Today I received a second adapter, and this one has aperture control. It's a ring around the barrel, marked "locked" and "unlocked." It doesn't rotate very far at all. Its use isn't immediately clear to me. Seeking some instruction.

Thanks!

Dave
If you look inside the adapter there should be a long screw that is intended to engage the aperture lever on the lens. When you move the "lock" ring on the adapter the lens will stop down. How much it stops down is the question. Some adapters will use the entire aperture range of lenses and some will not. None of the cheap Chinese adapters have marked stops (some are infinitely adjustable with no discrete stops except at either end) that I'm aware of, so it's a crap shoot what aperture you're using at any given time.

If you want to use a lens with no aperture ring badly enough you adapt & overcome the limitations. Otherwise you obtain lenses with aperture rings and fight the good fight that way. Depends on your tolerance for masochism.
12-27-2014, 11:05 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You guys got any example images of like 50 Taks with like a NEX-7? Is it worth the effort? DPR says the NEX doesn't really shine until you put good glass in front of it. My three E lenses are all pretty mediocre.

Dave