Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2014, 05:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Canon's timing.

Sent out 2 days before Christmas.

Canon sells and supports Canon-brand consumer and professional products in the U.S. through Canon U.S.A., which distributes these products through its authorized dealers and distributors. Canon U.S.A. is the only authorized importer of these products in the U.S., and provides industry-leading customer service and support for them. Products distributed by Canon U.S.A. are "localized" to meet the needs of customers in the U.S. market and are engineered to comply with local safety regulations and governmental requirements. As such, these products come with different accessories, manuals, and warranties than the versions intended for sale in other global regions such as Asia. Any Canon-brand products which are imported and sold other than by this method are referred to as "parallel," or "Gray Market," products (collectively, "Gray Market Products").

Hazards and Difficulties Associated with "Gray Market" Products

Customers in the U.S. may find that Gray Market Products do not meet their expectations because they were not intended by Canon for sale in the U.S. In some cases, sellers of Gray Market Products may attempt to localize the products themselves by adding, changing or removing certain accessories from the products, which may result in the following:

including in product packaging illegal or counterfeit accessories, such as batteries, chargers, and ink tanks, which can cause injury and seriously damage your Canon product;
an incorrect power cord or adapter which was not provided, or quality checked, by Canon;
incorrect software or illegal copies of software which may not function;
poor photocopies of the original manual;
a fake Canon U.S. warranty, a warranty provided by a third party, or no warranty at all; and
a device with a serial number which cannot be registered with Canon in the U.S.
Customers should also be aware that Gray Market Products may not be eligible for:

coverage under a U.S. warranty;
U.S. promotions, including mail-in and instant rebates; and
technical support
If you are in doubt about a seller, or whether the products it sells are intended for the U.S., please visit http://usa.canon.com/authorizeddealers for a list of Canon U.S.A.'s Authorized Dealers. New and genuine Canon products intended for sale in the U.S. can only be purchased from Canon Authorized Dealers in the U.S. or from Canon U.S.A. directly.

To learn more about counterfeit products, please visit Canon U.S.A. : About Counterfeits: Understanding the Problem to view important information.

Click here for a printable .PDF version of this information.

Last edited by Docrwm; 12-23-2014 at 06:44 PM.
12-23-2014, 06:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What do you mean "sent out"? Did Canon send you this in an email?

A long time ago, a guy in our office came bragging of this great deal he got on a Canon camera. If he'd asked me, or another pro photographer who worked there, if the web site was legit we'd have both said "hell no!" but of course, he thought he had found this great deal that only a fool would pass up... guess who the fool turned out to be? I think Canon's being proactive here and letting folks start the process of credit car dispute early, even before the defective gear causes issues.

Do you really think this notice has "just come out" ? I first saw this info several years ago.
12-23-2014, 06:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfeye Quote
What do you mean "sent out"? Did Canon send you this in an email?

A long time ago, a guy in our office came bragging of this great deal he got on a Canon camera. If he'd asked me, or another pro photographer who worked there, if the web site was legit we'd have both said "hell no!" but of course, he thought he had found this great deal that only a fool would pass up... guess who the fool turned out to be? I think Canon's being proactive here and letting folks start the process of credit car dispute early, even before the defective gear causes issues.

Do you really think this notice has "just come out" ? I first saw this info several years ago.
Yes, Canon USA sent it out via email this evening.

Last edited by Docrwm; 12-23-2014 at 06:45 PM.
12-23-2014, 06:40 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Since you asked, it's just you.

I see nothing wrong with educating customers about potential risks in an area where many consumers have a sketchy understanding. Since Canon has to deal with some consequences of sleazy grey market deals, it is in their interest to lessen the burden. Sure there is melodrama in the message, but that's necessary to cover the vast array of customers and potential customers.

Personally I'm fine with grey market purchases, but I've avoided them due to not wanting to deal with after sales shenanigans from sales people and non-standard packages and warranty plans. YMMV.

M

12-23-2014, 06:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Since you asked, it's just you.

I see nothing wrong with educating customers about potential risks in an area where many consumers have a sketchy understanding. Since Canon has to deal with some consequences of sleazy grey market deals, it is in their interest to lessen the burden. Sure there is melodrama in the message, but that's necessary to cover the vast array of customers and potential customers.

Personally I'm fine with grey market purchases, but I've avoided them due to not wanting to deal with after sales shenanigans from sales people and non-standard packages and warranty plans. YMMV.

M
Timimg is, as they say, everything.
12-23-2014, 07:49 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm going to take a slightly different tack here on the issue. All the equipment sold was made on the same manufacturing line with the same components. We are not talking counterfeit here. All the Canon distributors are owned by Canon (I believe - as subsidiaries). All the equipment comes with Canon International warranties - or at least should. If it does not - then it's Canon's fault. Canon knows who the distributor of the equipment was originally. If there is a problem with a body in the US that was originally distributed to Europe, then let Canon USA bill Canon Europe for the repair, if it is covered and with in the warranty.

I know all about the grey market, but I also know that folks move from time to time. Heck, 2 weeks ago a Director came into my office and asked if I wanted to go to Qatar for a year, on assignment (the answer was no and also h*ll no).

I also know that companies with excess product, tend to stuff their distribution channels - which essentially fuels the grey market. It is a game of wack-a-mole, push here and then it pops up over there. It's a problem that the manufacturers create, and then pits one subsidiary against another - leaving the end customer holding the bag, as everyone is trying to make and protect their own numbers.

There is a solution to all of this and its an international warranty that is actually honored.

12-24-2014, 02:24 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

I tend to avoid doing business with companies/industries with pronounced geographic market segmentation strategies. 'Grey imports' are consequence of these and might even be pushed by the same companies where they want to get rid of excess product but they don't want the overhead of support and warranty.

12-24-2014, 06:21 AM - 1 Like   #8

maybe canon is covering their butts after nikon released this statement

https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/63056
12-24-2014, 06:42 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

I got the Canon email too.
Grey market vendors don't usually tell you their stuff is grey market. In fact, most would prefer to deceive you.
Its already hard enough to get good value for your dollar.
12-24-2014, 06:59 AM   #10
Veteran Member

My comment here about Canon and Nikon US gear and warranties is about US consumer protection laws and such. We Americans pay more for US-spec gear because of the additional costs for the manufacturers to warranty that gear for us. It doesn't mean gear having US serial numbers is different from other gear or anything. Truly International gear would/should reflect the cost to properly warranty it in the most expensive sales region, wherever that may be.

I'd also point out that in other markets Canon and Nikon can be more willing to work with their customers in resolving problems resulting in less expense for everyone involved. It is we Americans who usually resort to class action lawsuits and such which often achieve the same results while also making a few attorneys wealthy.
12-24-2014, 07:04 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by B Grace Quote
We Americans pay more for US-spec gear because of the additional costs for the manufacturers to warranty that gear for us.

Um, more compared to where else? It's my impression that US prices are in general lower than EU & Australia prices.
12-24-2014, 07:47 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by B Grace Quote
My comment here about Canon and Nikon US gear and warranties is about US consumer protection laws and such. We Americans pay more for US-spec gear because of the additional costs for the manufacturers to warranty that gear for us. It doesn't mean gear having US serial numbers is different from other gear or anything. Truly International gear would/should reflect the cost to properly warranty it in the most expensive sales region, wherever that may be.

I'd also point out that in other markets Canon and Nikon can be more willing to work with their customers in resolving problems resulting in less expense for everyone involved. It is we Americans who usually resort to class action lawsuits and such which often achieve the same results while also making a few attorneys wealthy.
Have you looked at the recourse routinely available without resorting to a lawsuit in many (most) other countries in the Western world? We have a thread here about poor warranty service and months long delays for parts. In the US there is nearly no recourse for the consumer, but in many countries the company is obligated to repair or replace under warranty within a specified time limit and if they do not there are severe penalties. The US is NOT consumer friendly compared to Canada, UK, Germany, France, etc., etc., etc. when it comes to claims of inferior product, poor performance, etc.
12-24-2014, 09:05 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cxdoo Quote
Um, more compared to where else? It's my impression that US prices are in general lower than EU & Australia prices.
Compared to the gray-market gear we Americans can buy from the same retailers. In general, gray-market gear is priced lower than US-spec gear by retailers selling in the US.
12-24-2014, 09:55 AM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I took a look at Canon's International warranty. It's interesting to say the least...It's again interesting that if you buy in the US and go to Eurpoe or if you buy in Europe and come to the US, Canada, NZ or OZ apparently you are not covered. Then there is this thread over on another site, that indicates it depends on who you talk to and where they are, and things are mostly covered, but not always. So, what is going on?. It certainly appears that Canon is setting up a system of their own design, that honors warranties to varying degrees. But, what do I know - I shoot Pentax.

12-24-2014, 10:02 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I took a look at Canon's International warranty. It's interesting to say the least...It's again interesting that if you buy in the US and go to Eurpoe or if you buy in Europe and come to the US, Canada, NZ or OZ apparently you are not covered. Then there is this thread over on another site, that indicates it depends on who you talk to and where they are, and things are mostly covered, but not always. So, what is going on?. It certainly appears that Canon is setting up a system of their own design, that honors warranties to varying degrees. But, what do I know - I shoot Pentax.

Loopholes and conflicting wording leaves them in control and allows for arbitrary decisions on their part. The interesting thing is that the laws in many of the countries you referenced trump those warranties and are much tighter in terms of protection for the consumer.