Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2015, 03:46 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Since you have a lot of older MF glass with aperture ring, I think you will really love the A7m2. Having my 31mm actually work like a 31mm is so nice. Now I'm tempted to buy the 77mm.

01-15-2015, 05:40 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have already ordered 3 adapters. One for PK with the DA aperture ring control, one m42 adapter (I have a few m42 lenses) and the m39 adapter - the adapter that I am most excited for and can't wait to try. I have a few beautiful m39 russian lens and the one that I am mostly looking forward to use is the Jupiter 12 (I was never able to use this on a crop Pentax camera and is one of my favorites lenses 2.8 35mm).

So far, from what I have played with the kit lens, I actually really, really like the camera. I guess my fear was probably because this is the first non-Pentax camera that I have since a very, very, very long time.
The only annoying thing I have found about it is the battery life... but I guess I gotta stock up on a few as a backup and I should be fine and the battery grip with the dual battery holder should help a little.

More updates (for whoever might be interested) once I get the adapters and try the lenses

Last edited by mrNewt; 01-16-2015 at 08:18 AM.
01-16-2015, 05:33 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Since you have a lot of older MF glass with aperture ring, I think you will really love the A7m2. Having my 31mm actually work like a 31mm is so nice. Now I'm tempted to buy the 77mm.
Congratulation to you and MrNewt, I envy the A7II but I can't justify the upgrade from A7. I can share your excitement as Pentaxians.

I have a pointer to share

https://www.playmemoriescameraapps.com/portal/

Requiring registration with user email and password sucks but that is the only way to download the free and purchase apps into your new Sony cameras. With the free Remote Control App, your smartphone with iPhone or Android will add remote touch-interface to your A7II along with your working phone. I was totally amazed when I get it working with a 10" android tablet where I can tether the shooting on the tablet as the viewfinder, any touch on the screen picks up the new focusing point -- sweet. The Smart Remote Control app currently does not support bulb mode but I think it is a matter of time hopefully in the near future version. As far as I know, video is not supported on my A7 or A6000, only available on A7S and A5100.

You need to download the Sony playmemories app on your phone and that doesn't require registration as it goes directly to the App store from Apple or Google.

I did a lookup for you on youtube for you two

And a demo of the touch interface with the free Smart Remote Control app in Playmemories.

All the apps have its quirks but worth a try to add some new tech to your camera.

Cheers,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 01-16-2015 at 05:43 AM.
01-16-2015, 06:50 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Congratulation to you and MrNewt, I envy the A7II but I can't justify the upgrade from A7. I can share your excitement as Pentaxians.

I have a pointer to share

https://www.playmemoriescameraapps.com/portal/

Requiring registration with user email and password sucks but that is the only way to download the free and purchase apps into your new Sony cameras. With the free Remote Control App, your smartphone with iPhone or Android will add remote touch-interface to your A7II along with your working phone. I was totally amazed when I get it working with a 10" android tablet where I can tether the shooting on the tablet as the viewfinder, any touch on the screen picks up the new focusing point -- sweet. The Smart Remote Control app currently does not support bulb mode but I think it is a matter of time hopefully in the near future version. As far as I know, video is not supported on my A7 or A6000, only available on A7S and A5100.

You need to download the Sony playmemories app on your phone and that doesn't require registration as it goes directly to the App store from Apple or Google.

I did a lookup for you on youtube for you two

Sony a6000 camera with iPhone smart remote control - YouTube

And a demo of the touch interface with the free Smart Remote Control app in Playmemories.

SONY A7 WIFI Play Memories Mobile App Test NO.6 iPad Test - YouTube

All the apps have its quirks but worth a try to add some new tech to your camera.

Cheers,
Hin

Thanks hinman!

If you already have the a7, it makes perfect sense for you not wanting to upgrade. I would be in the same situation if I would of had the original a7.

Thanks for the pointer! The app is very useful even with its little quirks. I already have the app running on my cellphone since I was using it with my Sony action cam. Haven't got time to pair it with the camera yet since I am still getting use to it and keep on changing the custom functions to fit my needs, but slowly I think I am getting there. Just waiting on those adapters to open up the flood gates .

Here is a question for you guys since I have never been in this situation so far...

The ARW RAW files format Sony has, is not recognized by Photoshop CS5.5 and at this time I cannot justify paying 200-400$ for the newer Photoshop version.

Now I know there is a DNG converter and its been updated at the end of last year to include the actual a7m2 with a complete list of Sony lenses and so on. I would prefer to work with the DNG format (since that's what I have been using for a couple of good years) and it doesn't bother me to do the conversion.
My actual question is... do I loose anything while doing the conversion? By "anything", I am mostly concerned of colors, dynamic range and all that other IQ stuff.

Last edited by mrNewt; 01-16-2015 at 08:21 AM.
01-16-2015, 09:22 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Try to see if the Adobe release of Camera Raw 8.7.1 helps you

Adobe releases Camera Raw 8.7.1 with Sony a7 II support: Digital Photography Review

I think the ACR download or update to Lightroom latest will work with A7II.

Cheers,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 01-16-2015 at 09:49 AM.
01-16-2015, 09:27 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have the DNG converter, the latest version they have.

My question is regarding the actual conversion process - does it affect the IQ in any way by loosing some of the information?
I assume not, since it just converts one format to another by keeping (I hope) the same information for the file... but that is just my guess and I am not familiar with the actual conversion that is happening between these 2 type of files.
01-16-2015, 09:48 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote

My question is regarding the actual conversion process - does it affect the IQ in any way by loosing some of the information?
I assume not, since it just converts one format to another by keeping (I hope) the same information for the file... but that is just my guess and I am not familiar with the actual conversion that is happening between these 2 type of files.
I am afraid that I can't confirm your concern and question. I use Lightroom 5.7 and upgrading to the latest supports the new camera including A7II. Someone with CS5 and 6 hopefully can help you better.

Cheers,
Hin

01-16-2015, 09:50 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
I am afraid that I can't confirm your concern and question. I use Lightroom 5.7 and upgrading to the latest supports the new camera including A7II. Someone with CS5 and 6 hopefully can help you better.

Cheers,
Hin
Don't worry about Hin
01-16-2015, 10:56 AM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote

No. There is no loss of IQ.
01-16-2015, 01:15 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
No. There is no loss of IQ.
Awesome - thanks for the confirmation Winder!
01-16-2015, 01:57 PM   #26
Veteran Member

MRNEWT - Congratulations on your purchase. I've been studying the Sony landscape since having bought my Nex 6. It just keeps getting better with a convincing roadmap in 2015. Here's some links you might enjoy:

The Sony A7II Real World Camera Review. My Camera of the Year 2014. | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

In the above link, most of the way down in the article, he compares video from the A7II to the A7S - the video from the A7II with the IBIS is really convincing in eliminating that micro jerking around that occurs with a regular camera.

PHOTOGRAPHY GEAR GUIDE: Sony Lens Adapters

I've been thinking of what i do for lenses if i bought into the A7 series. I'm willing to buy one native Sony FF lens, perhaps 28-70??? to start with, then hoped to flesh out other needs with some adapted lenses. I already have some Pentax lenses/fotodiox adapters for my Nex6. But also interesting, there are 2 companies that make electronic adapters for Canon lenses (of which i have none). Metabones and another one. The idea being that even if the speed with such an electronic adapter is not fast, it would still provide some AF convenience and low cost Canon lenses. Also i have noted that the astrophotography folks have high regard for Samyang lenses with regard to optics - all are MF of course.

http://www.amazon.com/CameraPlus-Full-frame-Built-Hand-shaking-MB-EF-E-BM3/dp/B00JOEP7FG

Anyone's thoughts on this is welcome to me.

Last edited by philbaum; 01-16-2015 at 02:19 PM.
01-16-2015, 02:55 PM   #27
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
you'll have to get an ef adapter with electronic connections if you want to open and close the aperture... i"ll be looking hard at that $98 deal, when i get ready to do it.

there are of course cheap ef adapters for $15... if you can set the aperture with an old canon film body, will the aperture setting be retained by the lens, after it's removed from the body?

i had a samyang 14mm prime, setting infinity focus on it with the k10d ovf was a nightmare... i'd basically have to guess at what perfect focus was, set it, then open up the photo on the computer to verify whether or not i'd actually hit the mark... it took several tries, and the corners never looked quite right.

at the same time, i just got the a7r, which meant no need to worry about setting infinity focus ever, on any adapted lens, and i could finally see just how decentered the samyang 14mm really was... so i sent it back.

i've seen threads(with pics) where people have gotten 3 or 4 samyang/bower/rokinon/ect. 14mm primes in a row, and they were all decentered... so be sure and have a test procedure worked out, before you commit... if you get a good one, it's well worth it.

of course i test every piece of glass that i buy these days, on a ff camera that shows all flaws, and i now know what to look for.
01-16-2015, 03:05 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
you'll have to get an ef adapter with electronic connections if you want to open and close the aperture... i"ll be looking hard at that $98 deal, when i get ready to do it.

at the same time, i just got the a7r, which meant no need to worry about setting infinity focus ever, on any adapted lens, and i could finally see just how decentered the samyang 14mm really was... so i sent it back.

i've seen threads(with pics) where people have gotten 3 or 4 samyang/bower/rokinon/ect. 14mm primes in a row, and they were all decentered... so be sure and have a test procedure worked out, before you commit... if you get a good one, it's well worth it.

of course i test every piece of glass that i buy these days, on a ff camera that shows all flaws, and i now know what to look for.
Thanks for the information.

Turns out the photoplus product in Amazon is really a Viltrox II adapter Viltrox EF-NEX Sony Lens Changeable Camera Mount Adapter_JYC Technology (HK) Co., Ltd.
Altho the website only shows the original Viltrox perhaps - no labeling of a II

Here's a brief thread on it in dpreview: CameraPlus (Viltrox) EF-NEX-II Adapter First Impressions: Sony Alpha/NEX E-mount Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
01-16-2015, 07:51 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
MRNEWT - Congratulations on your purchase. I've been studying the Sony landscape since having bought my Nex 6. It just keeps getting better with a convincing roadmap in 2015. Here's some links you might enjoy:

The Sony A7II Real World Camera Review. My Camera of the Year 2014. | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

In the above link, most of the way down in the article, he compares video from the A7II to the A7S - the video from the A7II with the IBIS is really convincing in eliminating that micro jerking around that occurs with a regular camera.

PHOTOGRAPHY GEAR GUIDE: Sony Lens Adapters

I've been thinking of what i do for lenses if i bought into the A7 series. I'm willing to buy one native Sony FF lens, perhaps 28-70??? to start with, then hoped to flesh out other needs with some adapted lenses. I already have some Pentax lenses/fotodiox adapters for my Nex6. But also interesting, there are 2 companies that make electronic adapters for Canon lenses (of which i have none). Metabones and another one. The idea being that even if the speed with such an electronic adapter is not fast, it would still provide some AF convenience and low cost Canon lenses. Also i have noted that the astrophotography folks have high regard for Samyang lenses with regard to optics - all are MF of course.

http://www.amazon.com/CameraPlus-Full-frame-Built-Hand-shaking-MB-EF-E-BM3/dp/B00JOEP7FG

Anyone's thoughts on this is welcome to me.
Thanks for the links Phil!

Regarding the native lenses... I guess this depends a lot on the budget you have and plan to spend on the camera.
The kit lens is quite good to be honest. Comparing it with the kit lens from Pentax for example, the kit lens from Sony for me seems to be heads and shoulders above the Pentax one.
However, there is also the Zeiss version which is better but also more expensive - just a little above twice the price...

Personally I wanted to have at least the kit lens in the FE mount and use it on the go when I am in a hurry or for those moments I plan to go to some sport events and the AF:C will be needed.
Other than that, I don't care much about AF. I am a big fan of MF and M mode and for that I have already plenty of lenses to use for it.

The electronic adapter from what I have been reading as well are OK, but quite slow compared with the lenses for the native format. Personally I think it might be more annoying than anything so I am better off with the focus peaking.

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote

there are of course cheap ef adapters for $15... if you can set the aperture with an old canon film body, will the aperture setting be retained by the lens, after it's removed from the body?

i had a samyang 14mm prime, setting infinity focus on it with the k10d ovf was a nightmare... i'd basically have to guess at what perfect focus was, set it, then open up the photo on the computer to verify whether or not i'd actually hit the mark... it took several tries, and the corners never looked quite right.

've seen threads(with pics) where people have gotten 3 or 4 samyang/bower/rokinon/ect. 14mm primes in a row, and they were all decentered... so be sure and have a test procedure worked out, before you commit... if you get a good one, it's well worth it.

That is good info osv -thanks for sharing this!

Here is another thing that personally I find slightly annoying on the camera.
When you have the battery grip installed, you cannot charge the battery by just plunging the camera in the wall. You have to remove the batteries and charge them with a charger... that you have to buy because it doesn't come in your kit.
Good thing I've already ordered (and waiting for) some extra batteries with a charger. So untill I get those, I have removed the battery grip so I can charge the battery that I have in camera.

Last edited by mrNewt; 01-20-2015 at 07:18 AM.
01-16-2015, 07:59 PM   #30
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The A7 II is so much better to hold than the A7 was. The shutter button is where it should be now and the front dial is easier to use. It's kind of interesting that, as the mirrorless manufacturers listen to feedback and refine their advanced models, they are becoming more and more DSLR-like in shape and size. I think it lends weight to idea that DSLRs have attained a kind of optimal design for the lens sizes they have. In fact the size and hold of the A7 II is not far from a DSLR like the K-5 now, but that isn't really a fair comparison because it doesn't take into account the bigger sensor in the A7 series.