Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
02-09-2015, 02:00 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Original Poster
a7m2 has only one card slot as far as I can see...

02-09-2015, 02:30 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Oh my mistake, i think i was talking about the upcoming sony a9
New Specs for Sony's Upcoming 'Pro' FF Mirrorless A9

I will have to wait to see what nikon does with their i am advancing thing but sony is starting to look very good
02-10-2015, 02:10 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Sorry for double posting but ive been watching jason laniers videos where he raves about how the a6000 is so amazing. Im wonder, aside from the small size, what are really the advantages of the sony mirrorless systems? Anyone who has switched from a dslr, how did this help you? Thanks! Ive got my first wedding comming up and im wondering whether mirrorless would be better. I just watched his video where he shoots an entire wedding with the a6000

EDIT: Does the a7 have some sort of equivalent of af lock?

Last edited by neostyles; 02-10-2015 at 02:48 AM.
02-10-2015, 07:05 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Original Poster
For me is hard to say how mirrorless "helped me more"... is more a matter of what suits you best. As a manual lens shooter, the big bonus was the fact that I can adapt other lenses to the camera and revive my old and beloved m39 lens. And because of the very short flange distance, you can literally adapt pretty much anything out there - and thanks to the focus peaking, you can always be sure you will be in focus.
I like to know that my 1.4 is actually an 1.4 and not an equivalent of 2.0 and so on and so forth...

From my point of view, they will do the job just as well as a dslr, no mater how strongly others might disagree.
I have no issues with the AF, the EVF might not be on everyone's liking but it does a very good job (I am a big lover for the OVF, but I must admit on these cameras the EVF is actually very good and it didn't bother me at all so far), the camera is light and very well build, I don't feel like I do not have enough controls on the camera, very good IBIS and I am very impressed by the AWB (I've never left my cameras on AWB because they were never reliable - with the a7m2 I am still yet to find a lighting situation that fools it). Honestly, except the battery life (battery grip solved my battery problem) and the missing built-in flash, personally I see no faults in the camera so far.

a7m2 has AF lock and eye focusing when using with auto lenses (the feature that I love the most from the camera - it works very well). The kit lens while not fast is a very good performer as well.
Best advise is to try them and see if you like them - rent one for a week or so if you can and go to town. It took me about a month to get familiar with the camera to the point that I am confident with it, but you should know in a week or so if is really for you and if you like them or not.

EDIT: I got to play with an a6000 last week (I was very interested in buying one) and I was very disappointed. The only thing it has over the a7m2 is the faster burst rate... other than that, it has nothing against the a7m2. Don't get me wrong, is a very good performer but for me the a7m2 seems much better with more options. At the price is selling now, I am not interested in that camera any longer (maybe for around 400... ). And I did find the EVF annoying slightly - small and not as good as the a7m2.
Right now if I would have to choose, I'd rather get the new K-S2.

Last edited by mrNewt; 02-10-2015 at 08:59 AM.
02-11-2015, 08:41 PM   #65
Veteran Member

Hey.. was wondering whether the weather sealing on sony cameras. Thinking about getting an a7
02-11-2015, 09:16 PM   #66
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
Hey.. was wondering whether the weather sealing on sony cameras. Thinking about getting an a7
There isn't much info on that, and I think Sony doesn't really advertise it as fully weather proofed (so I don't think it will be covered unless you have extended damage warranty) but I did found this video of a guy putting his a7 under the tap...

a7m2 has similar seals and construction so I would expect to work the same - but with a stronger metal frame.

I think it should be OK in some light rain as long you dry it off after you are done.
However, I would not trust to stay in the rain with adapted lens.

Or this around 2:20

Last edited by mrNewt; 02-11-2015 at 09:24 PM.
02-11-2015, 10:08 PM   #67
Veteran Member

lol i love drtv. Safe to say that i wont be doing any of that stuff to my gear, but i like to go outside and shoot in the rain sometimes

02-12-2015, 07:37 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Anyone tried the Zenitar 16mm on one of these cameras yet?

---------- Post added 02-12-15 at 09:59 AM ----------

Sigma PK 105 macro lens - stacking about 22 photos.

Printed beautifully on 11x17 .
02-12-2015, 08:16 AM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
There isn't much info on that, and I think Sony doesn't really advertise it as fully weather proofed (so I don't think it will be covered unless you have extended damage warranty) but I did found this video of a guy putting his a7 under the tap...

Moisture resistance Sony ILC-E A7 (Влагозащита камеры Sony A7) - YouTube

a7m2 has similar seals and construction so I would expect to work the same - but with a stronger metal frame.

I think it should be OK in some light rain as long you dry it off after you are done.
However, I would not trust to stay in the rain with adapted lens.

Or this around 2:20
Sony a7 vs Canon 5D Mk III - Mirrorless or DSLR? - YouTube
I'm confused about the WR status of the A7II itself. The A7 and A7R has no seals and perhaps just a tight fit. But the A7II did go up in weight by 100gms. Seems like i've seen a coupla reports of leakage, but not sure if thats just trolls or extreme conditions.

Does anyone know if there was an effort by Sony to make the A7II more WR than prior models, or is it the same. When one looks at the WR of Pentax or Olympus, its in a whole different league. I've taken my K5 and K3 out in rain and snow.

Not trying to downplay Sony's impressive accomplishment, just to define for myself how i would use the camera.
02-12-2015, 08:24 AM   #70
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I'm confused about the WR status of the A7II itself. The A7 and A7R has no seals and perhaps just a tight fit. But the A7II did go up in weight by 100gms. Seems like i've seen a coupla reports of leakage, but not sure if thats just trolls or extreme conditions.

Does anyone know if there was an effort by Sony to make the A7II more WR than prior models, or is it the same. When one looks at the WR of Pentax or Olympus, its in a whole different league. I've taken my K5 and K3 out in rain and snow.

Not trying to downplay Sony's impressive accomplishment, just to define for myself how i would use the camera.
A lot of people are confused about it.
The hefty of the m2 is because of the IBIS system and the stronger body they have built for.

On the old a7 some people had some issues with the different mounted lenses and apparently there were some reports that the mount was not strong enough for larger and heavier old glass. In the new model the whole body is magnesium alloy and the mount is much stronger.

When it comes to seals, the a7m2 has the same number of seals as the other a7 cameras plus one extra for the battery door. Mind you the number of seals is nowhere close to what Pentax has as WR.

I think with the a7 lineup you will be OK outside in light rain and snow as long you use native lens on it (make sure you wipe it after).
However, I would not trust it as much as a Pentax WR camera.

Last edited by mrNewt; 02-12-2015 at 08:32 AM.
02-12-2015, 08:30 AM   #71
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote

It is my personal view: I will not take out my A7 in the rain while I will have more confidence to take out my K-5 in rainy and snowing shooting scenes. If you look up WR threads for A7 series, there are just too many fan-base talking and not enough evidence. The article by lensrental on A7 mII should be a good reference to check, last I recall similar material and design on the WR feature compared to previous model.

Hin
02-12-2015, 08:33 AM   #72
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
@Bart... nope, it doesn't look like it saves the focal length. It just said 0mm.

Ha..ha... I am surprised and then I realized thats why they are Soon Only Not Yet

Its just these little nitty gritty bits that makes me feel that Sony just does not bother with the thought process of photo taking.
They just throw in the tech.
02-12-2015, 08:36 AM   #73
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

EDIT: I got to play with an a6000 last week (I was very interested in buying one) and I was very disappointed. The only thing it has over the a7m2 is the faster burst rate... other than that, it has nothing against the a7m2. Don't get me wrong, is a very good performer but for me the a7m2 seems much better with more options. At the price is selling now, I am not interested in that camera any longer (maybe for around 400... ). And I did find the EVF annoying slightly - small and not as good as the a7m2.
Right now if I would have to choose, I'd rather get the new K-S2.
Our experience differ. I got A7 first and recently got A6000, I love it for what it is with aps-c in a smaller and lighter body. I have the complete set of Sigma 19, 30, 60 along with E 50 and 55-200. The lenses availability on my E-mount make it a good fit for me to have a6000 as a traveling body. For its price, I have the least complaint. If your expectation that it can get close to your A7mII, you will be disappointed. K-S2 is impressive but f K-S2 has more focal points, I will be more tempted.

I am more in tune with this report from a user renting both A7mII and A6000

a6000 and a7ii - I'm keeping both in my bag: Sony Alpha/NEX E-mount Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Cheers,
Hin
02-12-2015, 08:39 AM   #74
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Ha..ha... I am surprised and then I realized thats why they are Soon Only Not Yet

Its just these little nitty gritty bits that makes me feel that Sony just does not bother with the thought process of photo taking.
They just throw in the tech.
Personally I do not find that a big deal... I didn't even think about it until Bart asked and then forgot about it again right until you mention it again .
I can recognize the focal length of the lens I used from my small collection by just looking at the image... I rarely even look at the exif data to be honest.

---------- Post added 02-12-15 at 10:42 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Our experience differ. I got A7 first and recently got A6000, I love it for what it is with aps-c in a smaller and lighter body. I have the complete set of Sigma 19, 30, 60 along with E 50 and 55-200. The lenses availability on my E-mount make it a good fit for me to have a6000 as a traveling body. For its price, I have the least complaint. If your expectation that it can get close to your A7mII, you will be disappointed. K-S2 is impressive but f K-S2 has more focal points, I will be more tempted.

I am more in tune with this report from a user renting both A7mII and A6000

a6000 and a7ii - I'm keeping both in my bag: Sony Alpha/NEX E-mount Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Cheers,
Hin
That was my approach when I played with the a6000, yes, and that's why I was disappointed.
Now don't understand me wrong please, I never said the camera is not a good performer! I was just comparing it directly with the m2 options (without taking in consideration crop, ff).
02-12-2015, 08:48 AM   #75
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Personally I do not find that a big deal... I didn't even think about it until Bart asked and then forgot about it again right until you mention it again .
I can recognize the focal length of the lens I used from my small collection by just looking at the image... I rarely even look at the exif data to be honest.[COLOR="Silver"]
I laugh at it more for the point that Sony had time and example from the likes of the Pentax implementation to add y hat into the EXIF, but they don't seem to have considered it or want to do it.
It is after all the 2nd or 3rd iteration of the A7 cameras.

I tend to forget what was what.
Too many lenses.
I only remember if the lenses used for the week had rather big diff in FL (therefore obvious), or have very obvious characteristics (eg. Bokeh or sharpness performance)