Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2015, 08:58 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
I laugh at it more for the point that Sony had time and example from the likes of the Pentax implementation to add y hat into the EXIF, but they don't seem to have considered it or want to do it.
It is after all the 2nd or 3rd iteration of the A7 cameras.

I tend to forget what was what.
Too many lenses.
I only remember if the lenses used for the week had rather big diff in FL (therefore obvious), or have very obvious characteristics (eg. Bokeh or sharpness performance)
I could understand why some might need that... I can't complain much since I check exif data so rarely.
But, I assume if Sony would really want to implement it, they could easily do it with an update for the camera.

The only problem I would see with that... is the zoom lenses... how would you know what zoom range were you at to begin with!? And how would the camera capture that if there is no live connection between the camera and the lens!?

02-12-2015, 12:42 PM   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
I could understand why some might need that... I can't complain much since I check exif data so rarely.
But, I assume if Sony would really want to implement it, they could easily do it with an update for the camera.

The only problem I would see with that... is the zoom lenses... how would you know what zoom range were you at to begin with!? And how would the camera capture that if there is no live connection between the camera and the lens!?
Well, the camera could write the manually entered focal length to the exif.
For manual zooms, that setting should be altered according to the focal length of the zoom.
If I remember correctly, you have to do this on Pentax as well.
Then again, I never used manual zoom lenses, except occasionally on the SP500 but there, no exif whatsoever
02-12-2015, 01:36 PM   #78
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
Well, the camera could write the manually entered focal length to the exif.
Yes, that's true. That's why I think that if Sony decides to do it, it won't be hard to be introduced in a future update - if that will ever happen.

For manual zooms, that setting should be altered according to the focal length of the zoom.
If I remember correctly, you have to do this on Pentax as well.
Yes. But then it becomes more cumbersome and you have to pay attention not to move the ring... plus you have to keep on changing the focal distance constantly from the menu. Also, it will be hard to calculate what is your actual distance when your lens is set somewhere in between the numbers on the lens...
When I shoot with manual zooms on Pentax, I always deactivate the SR. This way I don't have to bother with it. With the a7m2 didn't had the chances yet to test a manual zoom. I've been using nothing but primes and the kit lens.

Then again, I never used manual zoom lenses
Same here. That's why I can always tell what focal length I was using when looking at the pictures .

Last edited by mrNewt; 02-17-2015 at 09:51 AM.
02-17-2015, 09:50 AM   #79
Veteran Member

Original Poster
In my search for some nice tele prime, manual lenses, I've found this beautiful thing:

200mm Mamiya Sekor 3.5 XS - with build in hood

Not a lot of people know about these lenses. Well build and very good IQ. And this one seems to be almost in mint condition - can't wait to get my hands on it !
And with this I'm almost done with my prime selections... just need one more thing... a very wide lens.

02-17-2015, 05:11 PM   #80
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Congrats on the new lens.

Why not just go for Canon FD?
02-17-2015, 07:46 PM   #81
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Congrats on the new lens.

Why not just go for Canon FD?
Thanks!
I have a strange love for these odd ducks that perform very well . Canon is too mainstream

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My Jupiter 9 arrived today .

And with hood on:

Quick sample picture - f2

And f5.6

Oh and since I got time to take some pictures of the camera, I got a picture of one of my most favorite lens - Jupiter 12:

All pictures brought to you by Pentax K-01... it performs very well in studio conditions
02-19-2015, 08:22 PM - 1 Like   #82
osv
Veteran Member

that mamiya is sweet!

if you want a good 200mm prime, take a look at the minolta 200/4.

02-19-2015, 09:35 PM   #83
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
that mamiya is sweet!

if you want a good 200mm prime, take a look at the minolta 200/4.
Thanks! That's what I was thinking too... I could not resist it
I haven't seen a Minolta 200mm f4 that I liked when I was looking. Probably that will be my next choice if by any chance there any issues with the mamiya.
02-28-2015, 06:15 PM   #84
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A7II and Rokinon 14mm LR profile applied

Developed in DxO and profile applied in LR.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-7M2  Photo 
02-28-2015, 10:08 PM   #85
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Developed in DxO and profile applied in LR.
Nice shot! Rokinon does some nice lenses.
06-13-2015, 02:04 PM   #86
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So how is the a7II image stabilization with adapted Pentax lenses? Can you compare its performance with the latest Pentax DSLRs?
06-13-2015, 02:54 PM   #87
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
So how is the a7II image stabilization with adapted Pentax lenses? Can you compare its performance with the latest Pentax DSLRs?
I have only used the 31mm extensively. I think its just as good as the K-3. The 31mm is not real challenging for the SR and a FF sensor is a little more forgiving. My other K-mount lenses don't have aperture rings, so I don't use them as much on my A7II.
06-13-2015, 11:06 PM   #88
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
It works just as well... with any lenses, not just Pentax.
09-03-2015, 10:47 AM   #89
Veteran Member

I shoot mainly landscapes, streets and occasionally people. Would it be a good idea to ditch my current setup in favour of a7m2 + 55 + fe 28? Ive been thinking lately and came to a conlusion that i just dont use my stuff enough to justify keeping it. I currently have a k-3 + 15,21,31,43,77. Nice setup, but.

Last edited by racingsnake; 09-03-2015 at 03:00 PM.
09-03-2015, 03:52 PM   #90
osv
Veteran Member

k3 vs. a7ii would be ovf vs. evf, which for most people is a no-brainer, but you need to evaluate it for yourself.

you have the three amigos? i would definitely hang onto the fa31, at the minimum, it rocks on sony ff.

the fe28 looks like a sharp piece of glass, but it has some pretty serious distortion issues, see the animated gif here: Sony FE 28mm f/2 Astrophotography Review – Lonely Speck

distortion correction lowers resolution across the entire picture frame.