Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
09-17-2015, 05:06 AM   #106
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I bought it and at first I was going to take it back. Its expensive for a macro lens. I kept it and shot a wedding with it this past weekend, and now I'm pretty sure I will keep it. The colors and 3d pop wide open make it work really well and the AF is faster than I was expecting for a macro on my A7II. I'm definitely applying a little negative clarity to skin. Its really, really sharp. My only complaint is that the OIS really sucks down the battery power.
Like most of the lenses from Sony I agree... they are expensive, but the quality seems to be up there as well. Its definitely heads and shoulders above the Sigma 105 I have (and that one is not that bad either). Since I haven't played with it much (I only took the pictures above so far - waiting for the weekend), I don't know about the battery part, but I believe you. That is the biggest complain I have about these cameras - battery life.

09-17-2015, 11:56 AM - 1 Like   #107
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Like most of the lenses from Sony I agree... they are expensive, but the quality seems to be up there as well. Its definitely heads and shoulders above the Sigma 105 I have (and that one is not that bad either). Since I haven't played with it much (I only took the pictures above so far - waiting for the weekend), I don't know about the battery part, but I believe you. That is the biggest complain I have about these cameras - battery life.
I checked these 2 lenses listed on slrgear.com, and wow, the 70-200 and the FE 55 f1.8 are extremely high quality. Which is gratifying, because i bought the 70-200 F4 from Keh for $1000 as "Bargain" rated. Checked it out handholding only, and I couldn't find any decentering or sharpness issues. And distance shots were excellent. The 55 f1.8 is on my to-buy list. Meanwhile this is a shot i took with the Pentax M 135 f3.5 lens. Its been cropped by about 1/3. For lightweight travel, these older lenses have a lot to offer. The Sony 55 f1.8 i would use for portraits.

[IMG][/IMG]
09-17-2015, 12:14 PM - 1 Like   #108
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
The 55 f1.8 is on my to-buy list.
That one is a very, very nice lens - I love it! Is one of the lenses that I would strongly recommend if possible to buy
For me, the rate of keepers is 90%.

One of the many pictures I love and took with these lens:

Also, on the topic of old lenses... yes, there are a lot of them out there!
If you want to blow your money, start looking at those russian m42 lenses

I've posted this image on page 3 as well - m42 Helios