Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2015, 07:03 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by racingsnake Quote
I shoot mainly landscapes, streets and occasionally people. Would it be a good idea to ditch my current setup in favour of a7m2 + 55 + fe 28? Ive been thinking lately and came to a conlusion that i just dont use my stuff enough to justify keeping it. I currently have a k-3 + 15,21,31,43,77. Nice setup, but.
The a7m2 is a great camera. Still love it and enjoy it. I like it so much I even end up buying is little brother the a6000 (and added the 50mm 1.8 Zeiss and 70-200 OSS G). As a camera, personally I find no flaws to it.

Here is my question to you... if you can't justify keeping your k3 because you don't use it much... can you justify a more expensive body (keep the lenses if anything else) that you will use just as much!? Or you stopped using the K3 because you lost your love for it? Don't buy a camera for the fashion statement, buy it as a tool, for what it can do based on what YOU need, not what others are telling you..

Regarding the OVF vs EVF... I am a huge lover of OVF and always support it... but I have to admit, these EVFs are NOT that bad. They don't bother me at all... I even forget that I am suing an EVF. Peek focusing while looking trough the VF is extremely fun... for me at least.

K3 vs a7m2 battle will be way more than just a battle between VFs... but that is for you to decide... based on what YOU need. a7m2 can perform and will have more options than you probably need... but then again, same can be said about the k3.

09-03-2015, 09:29 PM   #92
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
The a7m2 is a great camera. Still love it and enjoy it. I like it so much I even end up buying is little brother the a6000 (and added the 50mm 1.8 Zeiss and 70-200 OSS G). As a camera, personally I find no flaws to it.

Here is my question to you... if you can't justify keeping your k3 because you don't use it much... can you justify a more expensive body (keep the lenses if anything else) that you will use just as much!? Or you stopped using the K3 because you lost your love for it? Don't buy a camera for the fashion statement, buy it as a tool, for what it can do based on what YOU need, not what others are telling you..

Regarding the OVF vs EVF... I am a huge lover of OVF and always support it... but I have to admit, these EVFs are NOT that bad. They don't bother me at all... I even forget that I am suing an EVF. Peek focusing while looking trough the VF is extremely fun... for me at least.

K3 vs a7m2 battle will be way more than just a battle between VFs... but that is for you to decide... based on what YOU need. a7m2 can perform and will have more options than you probably need... but then again, same can be said about the k3.
Thanks for the replies guys. What i am sayin is that i cant justify having so many lenses. I havent lost my passion for photography, i just feel that i have too much gear for my needs as with my style oа photography all i need is a good wide angle (read 15), a normalish lens (read 31) and a portrait lens (read 77). And i still feel that i could easily do with only 2 lenses. I priced the turnover of selling all my stuff and going for a7+2 lenses and i would still have around 1500$ usd left.

Last edited by racingsnake; 09-04-2015 at 12:49 AM.
09-04-2015, 07:49 AM   #93
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What i am sayin is that i cant justify having so many lenses
First time I hear that... what do you mean so many lenses!? You barely have any .

It sounds to me like you already have a plan in place and you can definitely sell all your gear and buy new one.

My question to you is... what does a7m2 have over the k3 that you want or need?
Based on your plan and gear you already have the lenses you need (just sell the ones you don't use). If is just landscape, street photography and some occasional portraits both camera bodies will do a great job at it (and you can use only M lenses if you want anyway).

The core question is... why a7m2 over the k3 body?
09-06-2015, 12:34 AM   #94
Veteran Member

First time I hear that... what do you mean so many lenses!? You barely have any .

It sounds to me like you already have a plan in place and you can definitely sell all your gear and buy new one.

My question to you is... what does a7m2 have over the k3 that you want or need?
Based on your plan and gear you already have the lenses you need (just sell the ones you don't use). If is just landscape, street photography and some occasional portraits both camera bodies will do a great job at it (and you can use only M lenses if you want anyway).

The core question is... why a7m2 over the k3 body?
Size, weight, FF, quality (from what i've seen).
I dont have a plan in place though. Still thinking)

09-06-2015, 02:33 AM   #95
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I shoot mainly landscapes, streets and occasionally people. Would it be a good idea to ditch my current setup in favour of a7m2 + 55 + fe 28? Ive been thinking lately and came to a conlusion that i just dont use my stuff enough to justify keeping it. I currently have a k-3 + 15,21,31,43,77. Nice setup, but.
You got a nice K3 setup.
If you think you only need wide, normal, short tele, then just keep the 15,31,77 like you mentioned and sell the rest.

Don't forget that some of your Pentax lenses are not cheap for a reason.
They are nicely all metal build, catered for AF and MF operation, unique FOV and nice optically.
And the FA limiteds all work on FF, which means that you can use them on a Pentax FF (or even A7).
If the new Pentax FF price is not for you, then it can still be in a years time when its cheaper.

The A7II+55+28 is not a bad setup.
As mentioned by OSV, the FE28 has a lot of distortion before software correction.
I can accept this as the 'modern way' to do lens corrections so long as the lens is not sold at a premium (which the FE28 isn't)

Though I don't usually shoot for money, I just did another paid assignment with my K30, even when I have the A7+FE55 which would have done the job too.
Ironically, the K30 has been the camera I've used the most to do paid assignments over the 4yrs I've had it.
This despite having the 5D and A7 at the same time.

I went for the convenience of a better selection of AF lenses available to me (ie. meaning in my cabinet not on a shop shelf ), portability, ease of use for strobing, and good quality more manageable file sizes.
The quality of camera o/p is good enough nowadays that it does not really matter that much.
So imo, in practical use, there is more to a camera choice than just sensor size.

No right or wrong choice here imo.
If you think you need to scratch the itch, just got with it.
Its not something that can be eased off with logic.
09-08-2015, 12:30 PM   #96
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Size, weight, FF, quality (from what i've seen).
I dont have a plan in place though. Still thinking)
You won't be disappointed if you choose to go Sony FF. Just get the a7m2, not the first generation.
I was in the same boat until I tried one. Actually that is a good thing... if wherever you are located, you have a store where you can rent photo equipment, I strongly urge you to rent it for a weekend or even a week if price is not very high. That should help with your decision!
09-10-2015, 09:25 AM   #97
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Continuing this thread... I guess to lazy to start a new one... has anyone tried that new macro lens Sony made?
I'm very tempted to get it...

09-10-2015, 11:13 AM   #98
Veteran Member

A friend let me try his FE 90 macro. Didn't have a lot of time with it, but seems to be very well made, and the plus is you get a quality 90mm prime also. Seemed to me a largish lens - you might want to check the weights.

I just don't need a macro that much and am more than happy using smaller manual legacy Pentax macro lenses, but i'm just starting out in Sony FF - so have higher priorities at the moment :-)

Besides legacy lenses, FE lenses, Canon lenses, there's also e-mount lenses. The above pic was made with the classic cheap Sigma 19, i'm sure the Sigma 30 will work just as well using the A7X in crop mode. I've also used the e mount Sony 50 f1.8 in crop mode. All excellent. And it gives one a very lightweight combo.
09-10-2015, 11:21 AM   #99
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Does it feel any heavier than the FE 70-200mm G? If not, than I don't think is that big of an issue for me (I don't find the 70-200mm lens that heavy anyway). I would expect it to be a little heavy since is 2.8.

I do have a k-mount macro lens. I have the Sigma 105mm APO version (had it for ... wow... years ... I was still having my *IST D). But the inside LBA monster wants a change - thinking of selling the Sigma and get the 90mm.

Did you got an idea on how the IQ was from the lens?
09-10-2015, 07:11 PM   #100
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think my wallet might be crying soon...
09-10-2015, 08:11 PM - 1 Like   #101
Veteran Member

Does it feel any heavier than the FE 70-200mm G? If not, than I don't think is that big of an issue for me (I don't find the 70-200mm lens that heavy anyway). I would expect it to be a little heavy since is 2.8.

I do have a k-mount macro lens. I have the Sigma 105mm APO version (had it for ... wow... years ... I was still having my *IST D). But the inside LBA monster wants a change - thinking of selling the Sigma and get the 90mm.

Did you got an idea on how the IQ was from the lens?
My friend has most of the FE lenses, the only one he was dissatisfied with was the 16-70 and has returned that - might have a bad copy. He has very high praise for the FE macro, the 70-200 and the FE 55 and the 16-35 for that matter. I installed those 4 on my camera and frankly all 4 are ones to drool over - and i did plenty of that. The 70-200 weighs 840gms, the 90 macro only 600gms, so its markedly lighter.

I got this thing in the mail from Keh about sales prices during Labor Day. And 10% off Bargain rated lenses. So i found this Bargain rated FE 70-200 F4 Sony lens for 1079. and i got 10% off that. After thinking about it, i figured it was a stupid thing to buy. I expected that i would be returning it. However, just got it this evening, its in excellent shape except missing original box and instructions. Did i every get lucky. 180 day warranty. All i can say is: terrific company to deal with

09-11-2015, 05:31 AM   #102
Veteran Member

Original Poster
After reading more reviews, I think I might be biting the bullet sometime next week.

I don't think was a poor choice to get the 70-200mm. Just put it to good use!
The lens is not that heavy and is not that much of a pain to carry around. I have it as well and I do enjoy it quite a lot (and if videos is your thing, I hear is very good for that). So far (except the kit lens), I only have the 70-200mm and the 55mm (I love this one soooo much!! most of the photos I've taken with it, have a very nice painting quality to them). With the 90mm I will be forming the perfect trio .

I thank my lucky star this turned out to be a good year for me and I had a few nice projects on the side that helped me pay for all of this...
09-11-2015, 05:43 AM - 1 Like   #103
Veteran Member

I think my wallet might be crying soon...
Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro G OSS Lens Review - YouTube
I have been shooting with it for a few weeks now. Very sharp lens with very little distortion.
09-16-2015, 08:01 PM   #104
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sooo... I'm poor again...
I took the bullet and bought the lens. Didn't had the time to play a lot with it, but so far, I'm liking it.

Test at 2.8

Test at 2.8 - 100% detail

Handheld 2.8 - stack of 5 images

Handheld 2.8 - stack of 7 images
09-16-2015, 08:57 PM   #105
Veteran Member

Sooo... I'm poor again...
I took the bullet and bought the lens. Didn't had the time to play a lot with it, but so far, I'm liking it.
I bought it and at first I was going to take it back. Its expensive for a macro lens. I kept it and shot a wedding with it this past weekend, and now I'm pretty sure I will keep it. The colors and 3d pop wide open make it work really well and the AF is faster than I was expecting for a macro on my A7II. I'm definitely applying a little negative clarity to skin. Its really, really sharp. My only complaint is that the OIS really sucks down the battery power.