01-09-2015, 06:45 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Nikon bringing new features to its full frame lineup with an exciting update

Nikon Rumors

I think they are finally adding a live view histogram. Yeeeeee

01-10-2015, 05:11 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Having to pay for firmware upgrades does not strike me as interesting news.
01-10-2015, 12:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
Having to pay for firmware upgrades does not strike me as interesting news.
That was only a rumor... Point is look at how many features nikon is bringing where you might otherwise have to pay for a new camera!
01-10-2015, 12:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Sounds like they are taking a page from the Fuji play book?

01-10-2015, 12:38 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
That was only a rumor... Point is look at how many features nikon is bringing where you might otherwise have to pay for a new camera!
That is not how I see it.
I see that from now on, Nikon plans to charge for any firmware upgrade that is more than fixing a bug.

I fail to see what is positive about that.
01-10-2015, 01:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That is not how I see it.
I see that from now on, Nikon plans to charge for any firmware upgrade that is more than fixing a bug.

I fail to see what is positive about that.
Because they are offering big, exciting changes for a cost (if they do charge for it) which is much less than the cost of a new camera. Come on really? When was the last time you saw firmware that was anything but that.. fixing bugs?
01-10-2015, 01:39 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
... When was the last time you saw firmware that was anything but that.. fixing bugs?
Seriously?

01-10-2015, 02:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Seriously?
uhm yeah, dude. I assumed it was common knowledge that firmware is manly dedicated towards bug fixes and improvements of the minor variety. At the most, some firemware may add comparability for a new type of memory card or a lens, but when was the last time you saw firmware that added an electronic front curtain shutter. If they are charging, its more than worth it. This is like picking up an entirely new camera.

Last edited by neostyles; 01-10-2015 at 03:30 PM.
01-10-2015, 04:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Maybe with some, but Fuji firmware is full of improvements to the X line of cameras, not just fixes. They even go back several years to add function to older cameras like the X100...and it's free! When was the last time Nikon did that? I think all of them can do better, but from what I see Fuji leads the way.

Regards!
01-10-2015, 04:12 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Below is pretty much a stream of consciousness spew of my thoughts on this.

It'll depend on how they actually implement charging for firmware. What sort of features are available and how much the costs are.

If they are going to be shipping a similar product line as today but with a firmware that makes the camera a glorified point-and-shoot or cell phone cameras and are then expecting people to buy "advanced" camera features like M mode, Auto ISO or Exposure Bracketing via firmware they might just put themselves out of business.

On the other hand, it could allow you to get a camera that has only the specific features that you actually use. Or it could allow you to buy a body that you like and then unlock features that you find you want as time goes on, potentially extending the life span of the body and letting it "grow" with you. That could be especially nice for people that are just starting out with photography. They could also then offer a body with every firmware option already installed and a "life time" free subscription to new firmwares and that one would cost like a liver and a kidney plus your first born.

This could be all about an even more finely grained market segmentation than they already have.

It could also be that they are planning on selling completely non-functional things like new color schemes, weird filters, effects for video and what not. In online games people pay hundreds, sometimes thousands, of dollars for entirely decorative in game items. Maybe Nikon has decided they want to get a piece of the disposable income of that sort of person.

There's a serious potential for piracy here too. If the unlocking system isn't more or less bulletproof it will be cracked and Nikon could end up basically giving away flagship model features to anyone with a compatible body and the willingness to load a hacked firmware.

People really object to being sold items that have physical capabilities that they have to pay to "unlock". I'm thinking of the day one DLC phenomenon in video games where an additional feature or part of the game is on the physical disc that the consumer bought but must be "purchased" as "Downloadable Content" before it can be accessed. There's been a ton of bad blood over this sort of thing in the gaming industry and Nikon is walking into a potential minefield doing this.

There's no indication that this next firmware will be charged for however and the list of features added for free sure looks fairly nice to me.
01-16-2015, 04:15 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Nikon offering a two-tier (free + paid) firmware upgrade policy would be stupid and customer un-friendly.

Other brands like Fuji and Ricoh (eg with the GR and GXR) and even Pentax (eg the addition of Diffraction Correction to the K-3 via firmware) have a long history of new feature-enabling firmware updates, sometimes adding enhanced features to cameras that are a few years old and out of production. It's nothing new. Even Sony has done stuff to enable their NEX hardware (like the shutter) to do new tricks.
01-17-2015, 03:16 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I see no problem with Nikon charging for adding new features to their cameras. An additional revenue stream might actually spur them to update older models, as opposed to simply releasing a new updated body.

I'd certainly pay to add better focus peaking on my K-01.

It would be kinda funny - in a watching a trainwreck sorta way - to see people brick their cameras trying to "unlock" additional features without buying the premium firmware update.

@ Neostyles: before making sweeping statements about what other brands do, it would be wise to actually check out what the other brands do. Fuji just added a whole slew of additional capabilities to the X-T1 via firmware, and some of those new features have gone downstream to other Fuji cameras.
01-17-2015, 03:28 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Do we even know that nikon will be charging for it? I think nikon realizes that the emergence of the mirrorless cameras has shaken things up. Sony is eating up a large part of the market share. And then there is also magic lantern which added a whole shit load of features for free. So, I wouldnt be surpirsed at all if these were free.
01-17-2015, 03:33 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
One of the reasons for Apple's recent surge in Mac sales has been the free OS upgrades they've offered. Now, I'm not suggesting that Nikon or any other camera maker (except perhaps for Fuji) is in Apple's happy position, financially, and I'm also acutely aware that nothing is actually free of payment somewhere, but it's the perception that matters, particularly when new features are added for zero incremental cost to the user.

New features are also regularly added to commercial software, at no extra charge, up until a major re-write or revision occurs, so why should it be any different for cameras? Camera-makers are actually more like the Apple model than stand-alone software companies, in that the hardware sales can subsidise the software provided, and its upgrades.
01-17-2015, 04:26 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Assuming the pay-for-firmware eventuates, I tend to agree with those who would counsel Nikon to tread with caution. There are plenty of examples throughout history of this type of marketing initiative; some worked, others failed dismally. Nikon took a beating with it's forced response to the D600 issue and you can only imagine that to those most affected, even thinking Nikon were going down this path wouldn't go down well. Consumers start to question their own brand loyalty when they perceive they're being taken for granted.

The underlying presumption is actually a little bit arrogant. It's not about attracting new market share, but rather exploiting the share you have and assuming you won't lose it (probably by weighing up the cost to the consumer of changing systems.) At the end of the day Nikon have to make money, which means that if the upgrades result in a decline in new DSLR sales, the consumer has to pay for the difference.

If Ricoh did this I would not be happy.