Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2015, 08:48 AM   #1
Forum Member

Old Takumars on Sony A-mount adapters?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

[edit]
Argh sorry I was completely mistaken: I thought A-mount = sony alpha...
No, I meant an adapter for sony A7. My bad, sorry for the confusion.
[/edit]

Hello,
what is a good adapter for M42 screw mount takumars, specifically the SMC Takumar 1:1.4/50 8 elements version and the SMC Takumar 1:1.8/55 for sony FF cameras?

So far I have found online the Novoflex at about 100 € and a bunch of others, but not all their description are clear about required or not required modification concerning the fitting of the lens' rear pin, if any or no filing is required on the adapters.

Any suggestion?

Also, I have a C/Y planar too, is it more economic, to buy a c/Y to A-mount adapter or adapt both M42 and C/Y to some other adapter, like Pentax K and from there to the camera?

I'm a bit puzzled at the moment.

Thank you!

Last edited by aheadfordinci; 01-10-2015 at 06:30 PM.
01-10-2015, 09:58 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
IMO, Pentax K to Sony A mount adapters with optical elements are not worth using, and adapters without optical elements won't let you focus to infinity. You can instead get Minolta 50mm which is really cheap.
01-10-2015, 10:26 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sony A has 44.6mm registration distance as opposed to the 45.46mm of M42/PK. This leaves just enough for a cheap rimmed M42 to sony A adapter to (pretty much) keep infinity focus and there are plenty around just browse ebay.
01-10-2015, 06:30 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Argh sorry I was completely mistaken: I thought A-mount = sony alpha...
No, I meant an adapter for sony A7. My bad, sorry for the confusion.

01-10-2015, 07:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

my understanding is you Need a PK-Nex Adaptor to adapt the K-Mount to an Alpha 7 and then you will need an M42 to K Adaptor to adapt the supertak to the K-mount , or am I missing something.
01-10-2015, 08:36 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
I saw the same description here on site, in an article about different legacy lenses on Sony A7, but then I saw the novoflex nex/co adapter, that should allow to attach directly a screw mount lens to an e-mount body - if e-mount aps-c and FF is the same thing (is it?).
As I could not find any info on takumars with it, though, I wondered if:
- am I correct at all?
- are there specific reasons as to go with PK-Nex + M42 to K, other than that - maybe - that article is older than the Novoflex adapter?
- are there other more economic options on the Novoflex, admitting that that even is the right adapter?
Thanks!
01-10-2015, 09:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Fotga M42-EMount , Not sure what the quality is like though.

Fotga M42 42mm Lens to Sony E Mount NEX 3 NEX5 NEX 7 EX 5N NEX 5c Adapter Ring | eBay

01-11-2015, 07:13 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
I will try it, thank you!
01-11-2015, 08:16 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Sony has produced E-mount cameras in both FF and APS-C models. I have used (and still do) inexpensive E-mount adapters to mount the following lens mounts to my NEX 5N: M42, Leica M39 (Leica thread mount), Leica M (Leica bayonet mount), C/Y, Nikon, and Pentax K, all with equal success. In most cases there is an adapter that goes directly from (some lens mount) to E-mount. In rare occasions you might need two adapters to get there.

Bear in mind that support for AF lenses without aperture rings can be spotty. The lens may mount on a E-mount body, but may have limited (or no) control over the aperture or AF.
01-11-2015, 05:08 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
I have only manual lenses in any case, back when I used m4/3 Olympus, I had no problem with unexpensive adapters too, here it was more that I needed to understand what I had to look for
01-12-2015, 06:48 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have A7 and M42 lenses.

And the best adapter is .... surprise surprise.... the dummy EOS>NEX adapter.

Here's why.
The EOS has the shortest DSLR flange distance, so it takes most other lenses via a XXX>EOS adapter.
These adapters are simple affairs, generally decently built and unlikely to go wrong nor are they expensive.

So get a EOS>NEX adapter.
Buy several cheap M42>EOS adapters.
Screw the M42>EOS adapters onto the lenses you need to bring out for the day and you've got quick changing bayonet mount lenses instead of slow screw mounting lenses.

Add to that, if you have C/Y, Nikon, Pentax lenses, you just need to buy their respective adapters to EOS.
This reduces the weight, bulk and hassle of juggling various XXX>NEX adapters and remembering which goes on what.
01-12-2015, 02:50 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Cool advice! Thank you!