Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
01-18-2015, 05:58 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I thought of this as an interesting as I also found out a little while back, here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/173-general-photography/285786-camera-own...13-2014-a.html

Are you seriously using this iPhone as a "camera" ?
Mind you,. I like those shots you took with it though !

JP

---------- Post added 01-18-15 at 08:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Apple don't make cameras.
So the #2 brand is Sony who make the camera that Apple fit inside their phones.
Sony IMX145
Most interesting small (and very concise) tiny camera which, by the way, is what I think I saw on a very recent TV clip showing how those inconspicuous "gadgets" are/will be used to show how bad things are in some parts of the world ... for lack of better words, here is the website:
Videre: the secretive group on a mission to film human-rights abuses (Wired UK)
Among those "hidden" cameras shown on the site, the one you post here sure was seen on that TV clip.

Cheers!

01-18-2015, 06:39 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Me on my bike on a 75km ride on Sat - taken by friend on my iPhone 4S - trust me you do not want to bring a DSLR with you on a road trip: just before this photo was taken I was a doing a rapid descent down to Berowra Waters doing sharp corners at almost 60 km/h

For those interested, here is a log of the ride on Garmin:
Garmin Connect
Thats just really cool....
01-19-2015, 03:09 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
This is a selfie, but you have look closely to realise that ...
01-20-2015, 05:46 PM   #34
Pentaxian

I was off skiing again today. It's winter, what else is there to do?
It was another beautiful, clear day. On Sunday, we had a storm come through. It had warmed up enough for a period of freezing rain on the lower parts of the mountain before changing back to snow and the trees still had a coating of ice in places where the wind was blocked. Riding up on the chair in the afternoon, the sun was right in your face and lighting up the ice covered tree branches. All I had was my iPhone and I really wondered if it could handle this shot. It did pretty good. The tree branches aren't quite as crystal glass looking and the light isn't as warm as my eyes saw it. Only now is my brain registering the fact that my amber colored goggles saw things differently but here's how the iPhone saw it without any PP.

Here's the shot with a little contrast adjusting and the flare spot removed. I could likely get this better with a little more PP effort. The iPhone does have an HDR mode but it wouldn't work on a moving chair.

01-20-2015, 11:53 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I was off skiing again today. It's winter, what else is there to do?
It was another beautiful, clear day. On Sunday, we had a storm come through. It had warmed up enough for a period of freezing rain on the lower parts of the mountain before changing back to snow and the trees still had a coating of ice in places where the wind was blocked. Riding up on the chair in the afternoon, the sun was right in your face and lighting up the ice covered tree branches. All I had was my iPhone and I really wondered if it could handle this shot. It did pretty good. The tree branches aren't quite as crystal glass looking and the light isn't as warm as my eyes saw it. Only now is my brain registering the fact that my amber colored goggles saw things differently but here's how the iPhone saw it without any PP.
Wow, that is a surprisingly usable photo - could end up being quite an arty shot with a bit of creative processing.

Here's my photo for the day - the original is a somewhat boring photo of some crates at a shopping centre. I did some processing on it to make it a little more mysterious
01-21-2015, 08:44 AM   #36
Pentaxian

You're getting some very nice results from your phone, Christine!

The Flickr statistics are confirming what a lot of people are discovering. The iPhone has an excellent camera and the quality of it's photos hold up very well. At least for me, it won't be a camera replacement simply because of the limits it has. It's a fixed lens camera with a moderate wide angle view. That fits a lot of peoples everyday shooting. I can take very good snapshots of friends and get some pretty good landscapes but I often need a wider view and even more often, a telephoto. Yes, you can zoom but that is essentially the same as cropping in PP. I need an optical zoom. I have rather large hands and I find using the touchscreen controls difficult and in winter, almost impossible, not that a small P&S is much better.

I'm not going to compare my iPhone to a DSLR although the phones IQ is very good. I will compare it to another camera I own and that's the Panasonic LF1. It a high end P&S with a Leica branded zoom and a 1/1.7 sensor. In conditions like yesterdays shot, the iPhone rules! The LF1 is terrible in in strong, bright light will severely overexpose in every AF mode the camera offers. The battery fails rapidly in the cold, even in an inside coat pocket. I had hoped to use it for skiing shots as the lens zooms to a 200mm equiv. but this thing just refuses to work in cold weather. The iPhone will also shut down in below 0F temps but will perform fine if kept in an inside pocket. The iPhone will expose photos nicely in any light.

I have had some very fine shots from my LF1. The lens is excellent and sharp and it does have a viewfinder which is very helpful. I can get shots with it that the iPhone just won't do. It's very good with macro/close up shots and despite it's small lens, bokeh is possible and of course, having an optical zoom is a big plus. It's actually smaller than the iPhone 5s although thicker. Both fit in my pocket. The LF1 shoots RAW but the exposure accuracy and dynamic range of the iPhone 5s is so good that I don't consider that much of an advantage. I often have to make exposure adjustments of LF1 shots in Lightroom while the iPhone usually nails it. At least until spring, the LF1 will gather dust unless I'm going to be indoor shooting at a party although the iPhone does well with that also.

After a year with the iPhone 5s, I'm relying on it's camera more and more. If I had bought the iPhone a few months earlier, I can say with certainty that I would not have purchased the LF1. I don't use Flickr much but most of my Facebook uploads and Google + uploads have been iPhone shots so I don't doubt the Flickr stats one bit.
01-22-2015, 03:32 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You're getting some very nice results from your phone, Christine!

The Flickr statistics are confirming what a lot of people are discovering. The iPhone has an excellent camera and the quality of it's photos hold up very well. At least for me, it won't be a camera replacement simply because of the limits it has. It's a fixed lens camera with a moderate wide angle view. That fits a lot of peoples everyday shooting. I can take very good snapshots of friends and get some pretty good landscapes but I often need a wider view and even more often, a telephoto. Yes, you can zoom but that is essentially the same as cropping in PP. I need an optical zoom. I have rather large hands and I find using the touchscreen controls difficult and in winter, almost impossible, not that a small P&S is much better.

I'm not going to compare my iPhone to a DSLR although the phones IQ is very good. I will compare it to another camera I own and that's the Panasonic LF1. It a high end P&S with a Leica branded zoom and a 1/1.7 sensor. In conditions like yesterdays shot, the iPhone rules! The LF1 is terrible in in strong, bright light will severely overexpose in every AF mode the camera offers. The battery fails rapidly in the cold, even in an inside coat pocket. I had hoped to use it for skiing shots as the lens zooms to a 200mm equiv. but this thing just refuses to work in cold weather. The iPhone will also shut down in below 0F temps but will perform fine if kept in an inside pocket. The iPhone will expose photos nicely in any light.

I have had some very fine shots from my LF1. The lens is excellent and sharp and it does have a viewfinder which is very helpful. I can get shots with it that the iPhone just won't do. It's very good with macro/close up shots and despite it's small lens, bokeh is possible and of course, having an optical zoom is a big plus. It's actually smaller than the iPhone 5s although thicker. Both fit in my pocket. The LF1 shoots RAW but the exposure accuracy and dynamic range of the iPhone 5s is so good that I don't consider that much of an advantage. I often have to make exposure adjustments of LF1 shots in Lightroom while the iPhone usually nails it. At least until spring, the LF1 will gather dust unless I'm going to be indoor shooting at a party although the iPhone does well with that also.

After a year with the iPhone 5s, I'm relying on it's camera more and more. If I had bought the iPhone a few months earlier, I can say with certainty that I would not have purchased the LF1. I don't use Flickr much but most of my Facebook uploads and Google + uploads have been iPhone shots so I don't doubt the Flickr stats one bit.
I agree with your observations.

I don't think the iPhone is a true camera replacement for a serious photographer (it is for 90% of the population though) but I am exploring how it influences the creative process.

There is no doubt the photos I take on the iPhone are quite different from the photos I normally take and my workflow is different too. For example, I am much more heavy handed with the processing and less precise. It is difficult to edit precisely on an iPhone so I let it go and strive for a different look.

Some people have noted they take different pictures on a film camera vs a digital camera. I think it's the same here. Anyway it's all good - I like exploring different paths, and photography isn't my only creative medium (I also compose and play music, and freehand sketches using different tools/paper).

My iPhone photo of the day:

01-23-2015, 02:35 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Not much processing this time - just a straightforward shot of my alma mater
01-26-2015, 03:21 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A lost teddy
01-27-2015, 11:27 AM   #40
Veteran Member

I've found my iPhone 5s to be an extremely reliable camera that goes everywhere with me. It has it's limits like fixed focal length and aperture but it does an amazing job for what it is. The exposures are usually right on. I shot this while on vacation last May. I was taking a walk at the campground were staying at and I took a quick iPhone shot of the sunrise and birds flying around the dock. I was impressed with the way it handled this exposure.

Beautiful photo
01-27-2015, 12:36 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Started using the 645Pro app - WOW!!!!
01-27-2015, 12:38 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Forgot the file! Attached now. Please note the only post processing applied was a crop.
Attached Images

01-28-2015, 06:31 PM   #43
Veteran Member

You inspired me to use my iPhone more

Library photo walk
by John Rudolph Photography, on Flickr

Library photo walk

A wonderful day downtown
01-28-2015, 06:37 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Library is perfect sett unfortunately iPhone shots.
Nice colors.

M

---------- Post added 01-28-15 at 05:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote

Great picture, by the way.
Thank you.

M