Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-13-2015, 10:53 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
E-mount Touit firmware update

In case anyone with the E-mount Touit 2.8/12mm or 1.8/32mm has not heard, Zeiss is now offering a firmware update, to "support phase detection autofocus and the fast hybrid autofocus of newer Sony E-mount cameras".
http://www.zeiss.com/camera-lenses/en_us/service/download_center/touit_e-mou...l#improvements

I was so relieved to hear this. The update requires a return trip to Zeiss America in New York state, but that's a minor concern. I was worried that the PDAF update may never happen. It was supposed to be ready in August, then September, then silence. I shipped my Touits on the weekend.

01-13-2015, 11:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cool. Are similar lens designs possible for K-mount?
01-13-2015, 11:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Cool. Are similar lens designs possible for K-mount?
No, Zeiss stopped making K-mount lenses several years ago. That's why I posted in the Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc." forum.
01-13-2015, 12:17 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What was the big problem with AF on the Touits? Slow, inaccurate, or simply not working at all?

I confess that I don't follow E-mount news (so would not have read any complaints), but the Touits made me look at Sony again when they came out.

01-13-2015, 12:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
What was the big problem with AF on the Touits? Slow, inaccurate, or simply not working at all?

I confess that I don't follow E-mount news (so would not have read any complaints), but the Touits made me look at Sony again when they came out.
Issues addressed, from the Zeiss site:

•clearly noticeable shutter release delays when pressing the release button with activated flash
•‘hunting’ for the focus point with the camera in AF-C mode

The basic problem was that the Touits did not support Sony's on-sensor PDAF. They were designed for CDAF only.
01-26-2015, 11:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I sent my Touits back to Zeiss on January 10 and received them today; sixteen days round trip, Northern Ontario to NY state.

Focus is hugely improved in dim light, even in AF-S mode, and I can now use Wide and Zone focus areas, vs. Center Zone only before the upgrade. I am very relieved, focus was pathetic, now pretty quick in low light.
01-27-2015, 07:54 AM   #7
MJL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the info, Dan! I send my 12mm in last Tuesday and have it back yesterday (Monday) - the usual fast & impeccable Zeiss services. However, I found only small AF speed & accuary improvement with the A6000 so far, and nil on the NEX7. Will check it out more today.

01-27-2015, 08:20 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I should have mentioned that the much improved AF was on the Touit 32mm. I haven't even tried the 12mm since the FW update. It didn't have the poor AF performance of the 32mm, so I don't expect I'll notice much difference either.