Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
02-06-2015, 08:40 PM   #31
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
Wow, i dont even.. Are you guys just jealous because you dont have enough money to afford a canon? Even without 1080p @ 60 fps it still kicks the crap out of pentax. You want crippled? Pentax didnt even bother to give the k3 continuous af for video.
when was the last time that you saw a hollywood movie that was shot with continuous af... that is noob stuff.

are you a distant relative of that pentax troll, by any chance?

02-06-2015, 11:43 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
McDonalds sells more hamburgers than anyone. They must be the best hamburgers in the world right?
I don't care about video. At all.

Why do you have to slag on Pentax to promote Canon?
Im not promoting canon. Do i shoot canon? Nope. Why does the above poster rip on canon to promote pentax is the question we should be asking. There seems to be a lot of that here. In every thread about a new canon or nikon camera people jump right in and proceed to "slag" it with whatever desperate things they can conjure up. Calling a camera pos before it's even released reeks of fanboyism.

QuoteQuote:
when was the last time that you saw a hollywood movie that was shot with continuous af... that is noob stuff.
Really? Who is going to buy a dslr and shoot a hollywood movie? Though i did hear that the 5dmk3 was used in umm.. captain america i think it was. Continuous af is something that the average person may have need of.. and something which has been a staple of every video equipped dslr for the last well half a decade or something.

It seems like people are using threads that concern to new canon/nikon cameras as an avenue to rip on them to promote pentax. Which is odd since this is afterall the non penax section.

QuoteQuote:
love a cage fight between a Sony troll and a Nikon troll!

Bets, please, gentlemen! :-D

Goodness knows what either are doing here. Weird.
Yes, in the canon/nikon section of the forum. Indubitably strange, my good chap. In fact, as of late i have been shooting my old k20d over my d600 as i dont want to waste shutter actuations on the meager shooting opportunities.

Ok you dont care about video? I for one am very impressed that they managed to hit 5 fps on essentially medium format sized images.
02-07-2015, 12:57 AM   #33
Veteran Member

something which has been a staple of every video equipped dslr for the last well half a decade or something.
Hardly. Canon 70D was the first Canon DSLR to have continuous AF in video, I believe, and it was only released in 2013.
02-07-2015, 01:23 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I give up. Canon is awesome. It is the biggest and bestest.

02-07-2015, 02:04 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
give up. Canon is awesome. It is the biggest and bestest.
No. Leica is. They had a full frame mirrorless system going nearly 80 years before anyone else. All those mirrorless Panasonic, Fuji and Sony dilletante poseurs can go suck it.
02-07-2015, 04:23 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Im not promoting canon. Do i shoot canon? Nope. Why does the above poster rip on canon to promote pentax is the question we should be asking. There seems to be a lot of that here. In every thread about a new canon or nikon camera people jump right in and proceed to "slag" it with whatever desperate things they can conjure up. Calling a camera pos before it's even released reeks of fanboyism.

Really? Who is going to buy a dslr and shoot a hollywood movie? Though i did hear that the 5dmk3 was used in umm.. captain america i think it was. Continuous af is something that the average person may have need of.. and something which has been a staple of every video equipped dslr for the last well half a decade or something.

It seems like people are using threads that concern to new canon/nikon cameras as an avenue to rip on them to promote pentax. Which is odd since this is afterall the non penax section.

Yes, in the canon/nikon section of the forum. Indubitably strange, my good chap. In fact, as of late i have been shooting my old k20d over my d600 as i dont want to waste shutter actuations on the meager shooting opportunities.

Ok you dont care about video? I for one am very impressed that they managed to hit 5 fps on essentially medium format sized images.
OSV shoots Pentax glass, but on Sony cameras. To him all of these OVF cameras with their stone age technology are just a waste, including your D600. And Sony's video is better than what is available on this Canon, for what its worth.

I don't shoot video (too much work), so I would hesitate to comment on it, but OSV isn't exactly a died in the wool Pentaxian.
02-07-2015, 09:25 AM   #37
osv
Veteran Member

Calling a camera pos before it's even released reeks of fanboyism.
or it reeks of the truth

canon started this video dslr craze, and here they are dropping the ball on at least one feature that's been a staple on all kinds of cameras for several years now.

so, we don't expect pentax to get video right, because they never have, and nikon has always had marginal video, but canon??

samsung set the bar with 4k and h.265... compare that to canon, the industry leader, who can't even come up with 1080p60 in the year 2015.

whether you need it or not, this is a war of features, and canon is losing face big time.

02-07-2015, 12:34 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
OSV shoots Pentax glass, but on Sony cameras. To him all of these OVF cameras with their stone age technology are just a waste, including your D600. And Sony's video is better than what is available on this Canon, for what its worth.

I don't shoot video (too much work), so I would hesitate to comment on it, but OSV isn't exactly a died in the wool Pentaxian.
I wouldnt exactly call it stone age technology. Sony may have captured alot of the market share in a relatively short time, but mirrorless generally cant match the battery life of a dslr. Just because they have the same sensor doesnt neccesarily mean they are even either. Sony still suffers from built in flash-itis (yay for making up words) which is part of what steered me away from canon and towards nikon. Who uses the built in flash, right, but not having one means you pretty much have to invest in wireless recievers/transmitters and from my time using these things in class, its much easier to be able to just trigger things on camera. So, from a flash perspective it seems like sony is more the stone age technology. Nikons creative lighting system ftw.

QuoteQuote:
so, we don't expect pentax to get video right, because they never have, and nikon has always had marginal video, but canon?
So that gives you a pass to bash canon for somethign pentax cant get right? That's like the stoner kid that never shows up to class ripping on the top student because they forgot the hw one day. 1080 60 fps is pretty recent. The first nikon to have it was the d5300 which was released in 2013 and then on the canon side it's the 7dmkiii. And then olympus introduced it in 2013 with the ep5, but thats micro four thirds, only around 1/4 the sensor size of full frame. The reason why canon is known as the one of the best when it comes to video isnt about frame rates. Its because the video quality is amazing not to mention the low light performance.
02-07-2015, 01:41 PM   #39
osv
Veteran Member

So that gives you a pass to bash canon for somethign pentax cant get right?
i find that gross misinterpretation of what was said rather fascinating, and at some level, i'd like to speculate on the reasons for such an abject failure of all logical thought processes, it's really rather spectacular

however, how can anyone have a conversation with someone who can't comprehend simple english? time to put you on ignore.
02-07-2015, 01:48 PM   #40
Pentaxian

I thought Canon manufactured all their own sensors? That's why the APS-C ones are a bit smaller than those in other brands' cameras and why all their sensors are around 3 years behind the best in terms of IQ.

Certainly the max native ISO of 6400 in these suggests their noise and/or DR will be bad, quite possibly significantly worse than the best APS-C sensors.
02-07-2015, 03:17 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
i find that gross misinterpretation of what was said rather fascinating, and at some level, i'd like to speculate on the reasons for such an abject failure of all logical thought processes, it's really rather spectacular

however, how can anyone have a conversation with someone who can't comprehend simple english? time to put you on ignore.
?

Abject failure of logical processes and you are calling an unreleased canon a pos for video when canons are the mostly highly regarded camers out there for video... Did you not realize that the 5dr would inherit whatever magic the 5dmk3 has that has made it such a well regarded favorite among video graphers? That camera was used in hollywood movies and does it shoot 1080 at 60 fps? Oh wait i know the answer to this one.. Don't tell me. This seems like a failure to approach things from an unbiased standpoint. Do you realize how much it sounds like you are picking at straws for reasons to rip on canon here? The difference between 60p converted to 30p and just shooting at 30fps is pretty negligible. Yes, it ads a litttle slow mo effect, but if you want "real" slow mo you would need something like 120fps. Bitrates and overall video quality are much more important. What you are doing

QuoteQuote:
Certainly the max native ISO of 6400 in these suggests their noise and/or DR will be bad, quite possibly significantly worse than the best APS-C sensors.
Yes, and i suppose pentax's is wayy better? Oh wait, in their review of the 645z, the camera store basically found that iso 3200 was unusable for video. And that's a medium format. Uhhhm, what about iso 6400 is the sweet spot where they can still get good. well both of those on a ff sensor? I mean, have you even shot a high end canon before? Canons are known for their downright impressive low light capability/ FYI, the 5dmk3 is second only to the sony a7s. If there is one thing that can be sai about this it will be that it will be damn good in low light. I dont think canon is blind to what's being said about dr either. They didnt get to be the top camera brand without listening to consumers
02-07-2015, 03:31 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

?

Abject failure of logical processes and you are calling an unreleased canon a pos for video when canons are the mostly highly regarded camers out there for video... Did you not realize that the 5dr would inherit whatever magic the 5dmk3 has that has made it such a well regarded favorite among video graphers? That camera was used in hollywood movies and does it shoot 1080 at 60 fps? Oh wait i know the answer to this one.. Don't tell me. This seems like a failure to approach things from an unbiased standpoint. Do you realize how much it sounds like you are picking at straws for reasons to rip on canon here? The difference between 60p converted to 30p and just shooting at 30fps is pretty negligible. Yes, it ads a litttle slow mo effect, but if you want "real" slow mo you would need something like 120fps. Bitrates and overall video quality are much more important. What you are doing

Yes, and i suppose pentax's is wayy better? Oh wait, in their review of the 645z, the camera store basically found that iso 3200 was unusable for video. And that's a medium format. Uhhhm, what about iso 6400 is the sweet spot where they can still get good. well both of those on a ff sensor? I mean, have you even shot a high end canon before? Canons are known for their downright impressive low light capability/ FYI, the 5dmk3 is second only to the sony a7s. If there is one thing that can be sai about this it will be that it will be damn good in low light. I dont think canon is blind to what's being said about dr either. They didnt get to be the top camera brand without listening to consumers
What does Pentax have to do with this? Pentax has never made cameras that were good at video. Probably the best is the K5/K5 II, but none of them are particularly good from that standpoint. But folks buy Pentax cameras to shoot stills and if they are interested in video, probably these days they would look pretty seriously at Panasonic, Samsung and Sony as they really seem to be leading the pack in video performance. Canon and Nikon are fine, but they aren't exactly breaking new ground right now.

I do agree with osv that you harp an awful lot on auto focus with video, when any serious cinematographer won't use it. For amateur home movies, it is fine, but if you want high quality footage, you are going to learn to do your own focusing.
02-07-2015, 04:23 PM   #43
Veteran Member

No, thats defenitely true, but the abundance of cheap, petty shots at virtually the biggest camera brand in out there (essentially the heinz ketchup of photography) really speaks to a great sense of inferiority. Just look at the other thread where the op claims that just because they took the aa filter off one version of their camera then they are copying pentax. How much more desperate could we get?

However i think the big two will be stepping up their game. Canon already has an entire line up of cameras made soley for video (the c100, etc lineup) and there is reason to believe that 4k in camera video will be here in the not too distant future of for nikon.
02-07-2015, 05:11 PM   #44
Veteran Member

?

It was unusable for video not because of the sensor, but because Pentax is stupid at implementing video. The sensor in the 645Z has fantastic DR and high ISO.
02-07-2015, 05:28 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No, thats defenitely true, but the abundance of cheap, petty shots at virtually the biggest camera brand in out there (essentially the heinz ketchup of photography) really speaks to a great sense of inferiority. Just look at the other thread where the op claims that just because they took the aa filter off one version of their camera then they are copying pentax. How much more desperate could we get?

However i think the big two will be stepping up their game. Canon already has an entire line up of cameras made soley for video (the c100, etc lineup) and there is reason to believe that 4k in camera video will be here in the not too distant future of for nikon.
I don't get any particular bang out of Canon not doing as well in the sensor department over the last several years. People buy into systems based on glass and are unlikely to switch based on sensor performance as long as it isn't terrible and they are satisfied with their glass. But they certainly haven't been setting the world on fire lately.

I am bothered by people who have to bash other brands. Pentax users shouldn't attack Canon/Nikon just because they are big, but that goes both ways. It doesn't make Nikon a better brand to attack the styling and terrible menu format of Pentax cameras. These are all image making machines and the only question is whether you can the results you want from what you shoot with. What someone else has is pretty incidental, except if you are dissatisfied with what you are using, for some reason.