Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Canon EOS 5DS DSLR - 50MP with/without AA

Perhaps with the Sony sensor???

01-30-2015, 03:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
At SAR they think it has the 50mp Sony sensor as well.
01-30-2015, 05:52 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It could also be the Canon 7D II sensor upscaled to FF.

Last edited by Fogel70; 02-03-2015 at 07:34 AM.
01-30-2015, 06:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I thought Canon uses its own sensors? Which is often viewed as a bad thing. So I doubt they would start using Sony sensors now.

Oh noo.. I really don't like the megapickles war.. I don't have enough hard drive space for bigger photos... guess I'll just stick to my good old cameras
Also, isn't it kind of sad that so often the thing emphasized about the camera is the MP? I'm sure that 5DS has many great features, many of which end up being more important than the MP

Edit: But thanks for sharing the news! Lately, I am not very well informed about camera industry trends

01-30-2015, 07:00 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I thought Canon uses its own sensors? Which is often viewed as a bad thing. So I doubt they would start using Sony sensors now.
They do, and if Canon has thrown in the towel and used a Sony sensor in a DSLR it means that Canon will have difficulties in recouping the cost of running and maintaining their own sensor foundries, coupled with the cost of outsourcing sensor production it would also curb development of new and competitive sensor technologies, which is why I think it would be nothing short of a spectacular mistake.

Which is why I don't think this rumor has any substance to it. This is a rumor spawned to appease the photographers who loudly complain about the shadow noise and dynamic range performance of current Canon sensors - it is a rumor made so it looks like the company is listening to its user base - which no company really does (Silly rabbit, stockholders come first).

Last edited by Digitalis; 01-30-2015 at 07:05 AM.
01-30-2015, 07:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
it is a rumor made so it looks like the company is listening to its user base - which no company really does (Silly rabbit, stockholders come first).
love this
01-30-2015, 09:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

They do, and if Canon has thrown in the towel and used a Sony sensor in a DSLR it means that Canon will have difficulties in recouping the cost of running and maintaining their own sensor foundries, coupled with the cost of outsourcing sensor production it would also curb development of new and competitive sensor technologies, which is why I think it would be nothing short of a spectacular mistake.

Which is why I don't think this rumor has any substance to it. This is a rumor spawned to appease the photographers who loudly complain about the shadow noise and dynamic range performance of current Canon sensors - it is a rumor made so it looks like the company is listening to its user base - which no company really does (Silly rabbit, stockholders come first).
I don't believe when the rumor show up like couple weeks ago, but now it it on the usually pretty accurate site. ????EOS 5DS / EOS 5DS R ?????????? - ????info

so this thing is real.

I don't need high megapixel as well (but I do want that 36MP A7R! ), but always nice to see company push the boundary.

01-30-2015, 10:40 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
so this thing is real.
As real as RiceHigh's love for all things pentax..
01-30-2015, 11:15 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I was honestly much more interested in the rumours about organic sensors
01-30-2015, 12:16 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A 50 MP sensor will definitely push the boundaries of technology and lower resolution sensors will probably benefit from this (i.e. lower noise, higher dynamic range, etc). That's where I see the major benefit of this 50 MP sensor. Some professionals with steady tripods and reliable external lighting may benefit from a sensor like this. I'm not sure amateurs and high end enthusiasts who dominate forums like PF would benefit significantly. Every camera shake and aberration will be made visible. Then again, spend your money any way you want - it's your money. I'm still in awe of the "low" resolution 24 MP sensor in my K-3.
01-30-2015, 12:57 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Buddy, you do realize that canon is literally the most popular camera brand out there. They have been the #1 for 11 years in fact. Pros use it, people taking pictures of their dogs use it, etc. Everywhere i go i see canons. I dont know if you've taken a look at their site but they have alot of other stuff too. I was a photo major not an econ major but i was looking at this
http://www.canon.com/ir/results/2014/rslt2014e.pdf

And i saw $194 billion mentioned in regard to 2014 . I highly doubt they will have any trouble managing both fronts. Plus, as i see it there is no bigger innovator in sensors than sony. In the very near future, i can see sony bringing global shutters to DSLR cameras.

Many companies listen to their fans. The emergence of social media has really created new ties between corporations and their users. Nikon at one point mentioned that their users have asked for 4k so they are looking into it.
Photokina 2014: Nikon interview - 'large-sensor mirrorless could be a solution': Digital Photography Review
01-30-2015, 07:46 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
Buddy, you do realize that canon is literally the most popular camera brand out there.
Engaging in a bit of argumentum ad populum are we? Canon cameras aren't popular - they are just common*.

I stopped buying Canon cameras after the 1DX. The last canon lens I bought was the updated EF 85mm f/1.2L II. I mostly work with Nikon now for 35mm digital, I use the Leica S2 and Pentax 645D ( and Z) along with an 80Mp Phase one back on a Hasselblad H4. I my line of work Canon cameras have become increasingly rare, In the past week I have seen more Nikon, Pentax, Sony and Leica M cameras than I have ever seen in years. Also even when I do see a Canon, frequently it doesn't have a canon lens on it - usually a Zeiss, or a Voigtlander Apochromatic macro lens on it. In the past many photographers have been annoyed at a lack of decent** wide angle lenses for 35mm format and APS-C from canon - only now is Canon trying to remedy this.

* And the reason for that is their R&D and marketing department has the funding equal to the GDP of a small country at their disposal.
** The 17-40 f/4L needs a refresh, along with the 35L ( which is a nearly 50 year old lens design) The 16-35mm f/2.8 L got a refresh, but still optically it leaves a lot to be desired. The slower f/4 variant of the 16-35L still has issues.

Last edited by Digitalis; 02-04-2015 at 05:42 PM.
01-30-2015, 08:08 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Canon cameras aren't popular - they are just common*.
Uhm those are the same thing last time i checked. Canon is ranked second on flickr, just behind the iphone. Im not sure where you're getting the part about aps c from. Canon has tons of great aps c cameras like the 70D. Everywhere i go, i see canon, whether it was sf city hall where there where there were half a dozen wedding shoots going on or even to the zoo with my room mates. Canon has tons of wide angle lenses too
http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/lenses-flashes/wide-angle-lenses

Canon is almost exclusively used on youtube as well

Last edited by neostyles; 01-30-2015 at 08:14 PM.
02-04-2015, 12:52 PM   #14
ogl
Banned

The prices
- Canon EOS 5DS: € 3499
- Canon EOS 5DS R : € 3699
- Canon EF 11-24mm F/4L USM: € 2999 ​
02-05-2015, 09:16 PM   #15
osv
Veteran Member