Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2015, 06:00 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
drat! (NX500)

Pentax has me all fired up for a whole day, then someone gave Samsung a microphone. As a shooter less addicted to viewfinders now that I wear glasses, the specs on the nx500 are pretty impressive, esentially a very compact NX1. Good thing I'm not in a position to spend freely for a while, I guess!

02-05-2015, 06:03 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Yeah, I'm also pretty tempted - the specs look sweet! I wouldn't be surprised to find that many people who like the K-01 find this camera appealing. For me, maybe once the prices start to go down in 6-12 months...

Last edited by Doundounba; 02-05-2015 at 06:32 PM.
02-05-2015, 06:59 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But no IBIS, and I love me some IBIS.
02-05-2015, 08:18 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Good point, luftluss. Maybe a K-3 replacement with 645z-style tilting LCD (and other goodies) will keep temptation away by the time the NX500 starts dropping in price...

03-30-2015, 03:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
At 250 grams, super sensor and controls this camera looks amazing... automated adapter would be incredible so I can use the DA primes I already have!
03-30-2015, 04:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
automated adapter
Yes, it surprises me that Samsung are just offering a 'dumb' K to NX adapter.

Given the history of Samsung and K mount, there must be many Samsung users in Korea and elsewhere with K-mount lenses they would like to use 'full-featured' on NX.
03-30-2015, 04:10 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Indeed: I wish someone with electronics knowledge would develop a smart adapter that would give us at least the equivalent of "A" functionality (ie in-body aperture control, wide-open focusing with automatic diaphragm closure) on A or newer lenses with another system... Samsung would be ideally placed to do that.

03-30-2015, 04:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Speaking of the Samsung to K adapter, I came across this article from when it was first released in 2010:

Samsung NX lens adapter for Pentax K and Samsung GX lenses. Review and picture gallery - Amateur Photographer

I must say some of those old Pentax lenses do look nice on Samsung

I guess Pentax lenses when mounted on Samsung NX would work like Pentax lenses mounted on NEX - metering is constant as you adjust the aperture, and the display just gains up to adjust viewing brightness, so there is not much need for in-body aperture control or auto diaphragm closure. What I would most miss is lack of AF, and EXIF passthrough etc.
03-30-2015, 05:26 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
[...] so there is not much need for in-body aperture control or auto diaphragm closure. What I would most miss is lack of AF, and EXIF passthrough etc.
I like the precision of wide-open focusing, and for macro, when you *really* close down the lens, it becomes very difficult/impossible for the LCD gain to compensate the loss of light and the image becomes grainy, and eventually it just disappears... If you don't give me auto-diaphragm, I might as well be shooting with a reversed lens - a common but difficult macro technique, precisely because of the lack of auto-diaphragm.
03-31-2015, 05:52 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think the problem might be that a little motor is need to control the aperture since its mechanical. Same for AF on most little primes. So its an electromechanical and programming challenge to make such an adapter. But I think definitely possible