Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2015, 08:56 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is the new Canon EOS 5DS R copying Pentax ?

That was an email I received this morning from B&H.
If I read correctly, this new camera has one specific feature that seems to be a "cut-and-paste" from Pentax K3:

From: Canon EOS 5DS R DSLR Camera (Body Only) 0582C002 B&H Photo Video

quote " ... EOS 5DS R DSLR Camera (Body Only) from Canon is a variant of the 5DS with the sensor's low-pass filter rendered neutral. By cancelling the effect of the filter, the 50.6MP sensor is enabled to deliver an even higher resolution with more intricate details. The potential downside to this is that the cancellation function brings with it the greater possibility of moiré and other color artifacts. This is a camera for those interested in the utmost resolution from the sensor and the ability to control color artifacts either in-camera or with post-processing software."

Your thoughts on this?

02-06-2015, 09:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think you've read too much into it. I think it's like the D800E, where they canceled out the LPF by adding another glass element, instead of removing the LPF. The k-3 came after the D800E.
02-06-2015, 09:02 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sounds more like the k5iis to me.
02-06-2015, 09:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I think it boils down to one thing. If a manufacturer sees a great feature on someone else's camera, they will use it. Obviously it wasn't something that could be patented when the k-5 IIs hit the market or it would have been. It also could be that because this New Canon is rumored to use a Sony sensor. The removal of the filter was a tech shared with Sony when they made the sensors for the K-5 IIs. rumor has it that in exchange for Sony making the new sensor for the 5ds that Canon had to share dual pixel technology, so that May begin to show up in other brand cameras now.

Last edited by j2photos; 02-06-2015 at 10:24 AM. Reason: brand correction
02-06-2015, 09:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

How do you cancel the effects of the low-pass filter without removing the low-pass filter?
Removing the low-pass filter would effectively convert the camera to full-spectrum (IR) sensitivity.
"Neutralizing" the low-pass filter would make it no longer a low-pass, thus making it a neutral density filter.
Is someone confusing anti-aliasing filters with low-pass filters? Am I the one who is confused?
02-06-2015, 10:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
How do you cancel the effects of the low-pass filter without removing the low-pass filter?
Removing the low-pass filter would effectively convert the camera to full-spectrum (IR) sensitivity.
"Neutralizing" the low-pass filter would make it no longer a low-pass, thus making it a neutral density filter.
Is someone confusing anti-aliasing filters with low-pass filters? Am I the one who is confused?
No, maybe we're all using the wrong term. Dunno, but I think it's referring to the AA filter.
02-06-2015, 10:24 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
If I read correctly, this new camera has one specific feature that seems to be a "cut-and-paste" from Pentax K3:
No...

Steve

02-06-2015, 12:49 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
https://photographylife.com/what-is-low-pass-filter

Low Pass Filter = AA Filter
02-06-2015, 01:00 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
That was an email I received this morning from B&H.
They both have a "crop mode", too. FormatGate?
02-06-2015, 10:51 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It reminded me of the K-3's "Selectable AA Filter", only stuck on the "On" position.
02-07-2015, 03:01 AM   #11

Its nothing like the K3 system since it doesnt have ibis. Its more likey to be a D800E situation, i.e. less then perfect.
02-07-2015, 12:44 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I doubt canon would need to get ideas from pentax.. We're taliking about a company that has over half the market share. This sounds more like a d800e, d610, etc. This is nothing like the aa simulation thingy on the k3 guys.