Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2015, 10:05 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Canon EOS Rebel T6s/i (760D/750D) AF system thoughts

New Canon EOS Rebels have been announced, and the T6s and T6i are definitely a major step forward. For the first time, there's a top-plate LCD on a Rebel (T6s), something we typically don't expect in an entry-level DSLR. Also, the AF has been lifted from the 7D and 70D: 19 points, all cross-type, dual cross-type center point at f/2.8.

This should make things competitive with the comparable Nikon D5500, which has a very sophisticated 39-point (9 cross-type) area AF system. The Canon 19-point AF system was originally designed for a pro-spec camera and is very well-tested, which means that practical tracking AF performance should be about as good as the D5500. Some key differences are to be noted, however:
  • Three AF area selection modes are available: 19-point auto, zone, and single-point. The AF system is technically capable of two more modes, AF point expansion and spot, but these seem to be disabled in the Rebels. These modes are present in the 7D and 70D. I suppose this is to avoid confusing new users, but it does mean that some use cases may be better handled by the more expensive 70D.
  • A new 7560-pixel RGB metering sensor with IR detection allows for more sophisticated tracking, which means that the T5s/i may actually track fast-moving subjects better than the 7D and 70D. The system also has fluorescent light flicker synchronization to prevent flickering or uneven lighting when shooting at fast shutter speeds under fluorescent lighting. Continuous shooting is still at 5 fps (unlimited burst depth JPEG, 8 shots RAW, 6 shots RAW+JPEG using UHS-I memory card), but the keeper rate should be very, very high.
To be clear, I don't shoot Canon, but it's nice to see things getting better on the C&N side of things.

Questions, thoughts, or comments?

—DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 02-06-2015 at 10:14 AM.
02-06-2015, 10:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It feels like they are finally stepping up their game a little after being so complacent for so many years. Good to see.
02-06-2015, 10:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I never really concern myself with AF points, I dont like to let the camera decide where I am focusing. I use center spot focus and then recompose so it could have 200 AF points and not make a difference, because if the in camera AI chooses the wrong one, the shot is ruined.
02-06-2015, 12:50 PM   #4
Forum Member

I moved from a Canon 700D to the Pentax K3, having used m4/3 for 3 years before that (I had been using a 1D mk III and 7D before that). I would trust the AF tracking ability of the 700D over that of the K3 any day. Canon have a lot to improve on, but their AF tracking is night and day better than Pentax.

The K3 is the best camera I've ever owned except when it comes to AF tracking. Pentax really need to get their game together here.