Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2015, 11:52 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Buy what you want, shoot what you want... just enjoy the process and get the best out of it.
YOLO! Camera hedonism.

I think that's wrong. You are supposed to suffer for your art. If you are having fun, you are doing it wrong.

02-20-2015, 11:56 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
YOLO! Camera hedonism.

I think that's wrong. You are supposed to suffer for your art. If you are having fun, you are doing it wrong.
I'm going to assume that is a joke... otherwise I will find your YOLO comment quite offensive...
02-20-2015, 01:51 PM   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm going to assume that is a joke... otherwise I will find your YOLO comment quite offensive...
"You only live once" is offensive? What's the faux pas, Mr Newt?
02-20-2015, 02:28 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I can't believe you say Palo Alto isn't good for photography. You are a quick BART ride to San Francisco, one of the most target rich cities in the world for photography. You are close to beautiful redwood forests and Napa valley. You are a 2 hour drive to Lake Tahoe.
I would love to check out napa valley, but unfortunately this will prob have to wait until i start working and have some money for transportation.

But seriosuly, i think it will take me a week to just take it off the 15 fps mode.

02-20-2015, 02:40 PM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If anyone wants some amusement for this Friday afternoon, here's just about a year ago when the OP thought Pentax were lost in the stone age and Nikon was the new hotness. Good times - so much amusement, the thread had to be locked.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/76-non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/245...ver-nikon.html

And exactly a year ago (Feb 2014) the OP switched over to Nikon FF and started the next step in his photographic journey by obsessing over... a cheap zoom for it.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/76-non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/252...lens-d600.html

I wonder what brand will be next, and will the Samsung excitement last a full year this time?
02-20-2015, 02:52 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
"You only live once" is offensive? What's the faux pas, Mr Newt?
The way is mocking what I said, in urban definition, he is pretty much calling me stupid.
Urban Dictionary: Yolo
02-20-2015, 03:26 PM   #37
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The way is mocking what I said, in urban definition, he is pretty much calling me stupid.
Urban Dictionary: Yolo
Are you sure he meant it that way?

It has a straightforward meaning as well.

02-20-2015, 03:46 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Well it might have been directed at the OP. Completely changing camera systems once a year is "YOLO" and also isn't very smart - depending on how you look at it. It's only money... right? For some it is... for some it isn't.
02-20-2015, 04:35 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Are you sure he meant it that way?

It has a straightforward meaning as well.
Most of the times no, it doesn't have a straight meaning... at least it stopped to have a straight meaning some really long time ago and is mostly used when someone is mocking someone else.
At least not in the way he put it... as a "serious comment" is meant to be offending nowadays. That's why I give him the benefit of a doubt and said that I hope he was joking.

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Well it might have been directed at the OP. Completely changing camera systems once a year is "YOLO" and also isn't very smart - depending on how you look at it. It's only money... right? For some it is... for some it isn't.
My comment was directed at the OP, however his comment was directed at me since he directly quoted me.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Whatever the OP does with his money and time is his business in the end.
As long he is happy, whatever we might think or not means nothing.

Anyway, moving on I guess...

Last edited by mrNewt; 02-20-2015 at 04:45 PM.
02-20-2015, 08:38 PM   #40
Veteran Member

in urban definition,
The straight-forward meaning. The UD definitions are often mischievous, and not to be relied on.
02-20-2015, 09:00 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
If anyone wants some amusement for this Friday afternoon, here's just about a year ago when the OP thought Pentax were lost in the stone age and Nikon was the new hotness. Good times - so much amusement, the thread had to be locked.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/76-non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/245...ver-nikon.html

And exactly a year ago (Feb 2014) the OP switched over to Nikon FF and started the next step in his photographic journey by obsessing over... a cheap zoom for it.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/76-non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/252...lens-d600.html

I wonder what brand will be next, and will the Samsung excitement last a full year this time?
Hey if anyone wants some amusement check out this guy that doesn't seem to realize that some times people find better things and mirror less is completely different than a dslr.
02-21-2015, 04:38 AM - 3 Likes   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
Hey if anyone wants some amusement check out this guy that doesn't seem to realize that some times people find better things and mirror less is completely different than a dslr.
But it isn't.

You are going to get the same photos with your Samsung that you got with your Nikon and before that got with your Pentax, albeit you'll get 15 of them per second now, where before you only got 6 and 3 respectively. I just don't buy that mirrorless changes the paradigm in any real way. The question is do you take advantage of the shooting opportunities around you and what camera/glass combo can you afford that will let you do that. You can do it with an APS-C SLR with a kit lens and a 50 f1.8 (probably the cheapest ILC option available). You can do it with a mirrorless camera. You can do it with medium format film. It doesn't really matter.

Even DXO Mark scores don't tell you what kind of photos you will take. They only tell you the strengths and weaknesses of an individual sensor. What photos you take is up to you.

People put way too much emphasis on specs and not nearly enough emphasis on just seeing the world around you and then using what you have.

I shoot a lot of country stuff and photos of my kids, because that's what I have around me. But if I were somewhere else, I would have different scenes to shoot and that's what I would do.

02-21-2015, 05:52 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
People put way too much emphasis on specs and not nearly enough emphasis on just seeing the world around you and then using what you have.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

BTW I like your farmstead shot - Amish?
02-21-2015, 07:20 AM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
Couldn't have said it better myself.

BTW I like your farmstead shot - Amish?
Yes. There are old order Amish that live around Paoli and Salem, Indiana. I don't take photos of them, as that is not appreciated, but their farms with their wind mills are fun to shoot.

(and you never have to clone out electric lines after the fact).
02-21-2015, 10:25 AM   #45
Pentaxian

Beautiful pictures Rondec! How could you possibly have done that with an inferior equipment such as a DSLR? And an APSC to boot? :-)

Perfect way to prove your point!