Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2015, 12:29 PM - 1 Like   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Shooting 15 FPS and autofocusing @ 15 FPS are very different things.

02-21-2015, 01:09 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow nice shots. For what it's worth i think over the last few months ive made gold out of what is realtively speaking not exactly a photographic goldmine. I think 15 fps does make a difference vs the 5.5 fps on he d600. There are so many moments between moments you can capture with 3x the framrate. Dont get me wrong, i think that there is alot that matters besides specs, thats what i love so much about this. The touch screen! I think the general feel and usability of a camera really matters. Having the power and image quality of a dslr with the convience of a smartphone is perhaps the coolest part. Plus, there is also autofocus that is better than the d600 from what i can see. So i will be able to do much more stuff with moving subjects. The af on the d600 is smart, but it only covers a small portion of the frame. In someways its more powerful. Like you get full punch in for manual focus w/ out any lag. Butter smooth. As much as i like the d600's live view (been using it quite a bit) it does lag when you zoom in and there is no focus peaking, not to mention the af isnt exactly the fastest in live view. You get face detect af with the nx1 too. Not to mention the video on the samsung is actually suitable for pro level work. You get an amazing (evolutionary imo) codec that while not quite supported lets you get amazing quality with only half the file size. You have lots of the things that you would ordinarily need an external recorder for, and i dont know about most people here but i am kind of poor so this is like a gift from the gods.

Lighter equipment really unleashes you creatively. DSLRs tell us that bigger is better better and it's not pro grade unless it weighs as much as a small dumbbell (i think ive put on a few lbs of muscle from carrying around my nikon gear :P ) but going from using a tripod built like a rock (ravelli agp 70") to one that weighs less than a frozen burrito has really shown me how much lighter stuff can help you.

Not to mention this shoots 28 megapixel (the pentax that i used to shoot does just over half) stills and i dont think it bears mentioning that there isnt really much of a comparison between the image quality on a full frame nikon and a pentax aps c that dates back to when i graduated high school.

---------- Post added 02-21-15 at 02:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dane.dawg Quote
Shooting 15 FPS and autofocusing @ 15 FPS are very different things.
According to the tcs review it does just fine and many have said how impressive the autofocus is. DSLRs are very static in that you know once every few months you might get an update that fixes a few minor things but nothing that great. Samsung is going to give you monthly updates where they add new features!
03-01-2015, 12:08 AM   #48
Veteran Member

I think folks on PF should be free to try new things without getting criticized for their choices. The OP is relatively young and that what that period in life is all about. At his age, i used to change hobbies once a year, not just change cameras frequently.

As to mirrorless, this is what the CIPA report says for 2014 Jan-Dec:

Single lens Reflex: 20.5% reduction in units, 2.6% increase in 1000 Yen

Mirrorless (non-reflex): 40.8% increase in units, 53.6% increase in 1000 Yen

Yes, i understand that mirrorless still have something less that 1/3 of the DSLR market, but the trend line looks good. And we are seeing the migration of mirrorless features into DSLRs, e.g. the tilting/articulated LCD thats been common to even the cheapest Sony mirrorless for 2 or 3 years, is now showing up on the D750, the 645Z and the upcoming Pentax FF. Certainly we are seeing the incorporation of smart phone features, e.g. apps, processing power, into cameras, notably by Sony and Samsung.

Photography survived the transition from film to digital; it is also robust enough to survive the smart phone technology invasion, in my opinion. Can Canon/Nikon/Pentax survive the cultural changes in technology - ahhh - that is the question - i don't know the answer.

Kudos to neostyles for giving Samsung a chance, if that is what he chooses.
03-01-2015, 03:51 AM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I think folks on PF should be free to try new things without getting criticized for their choices. The OP is relatively young and that what that period in life is all about. At his age, i used to change hobbies once a year, not just change cameras frequently.

As to mirrorless, this is what the CIPA report says for 2014 Jan-Dec:

Single lens Reflex: 20.5% reduction in units, 2.6% increase in 1000 Yen

Mirrorless (non-reflex): 40.8% increase in units, 53.6% increase in 1000 Yen

Yes, i understand that mirrorless still have something less that 1/3 of the DSLR market, but the trend line looks good. And we are seeing the migration of mirrorless features into DSLRs, e.g. the tilting/articulated LCD thats been common to even the cheapest Sony mirrorless for 2 or 3 years, is now showing up on the D750, the 645Z and the upcoming Pentax FF. Certainly we are seeing the incorporation of smart phone features, e.g. apps, processing power, into cameras, notably by Sony and Samsung.

Photography survived the transition from film to digital; it is also robust enough to survive the smart phone technology invasion, in my opinion. Can Canon/Nikon/Pentax survive the cultural changes in technology - ahhh - that is the question - i don't know the answer.

Kudos to neostyles for giving Samsung a chance, if that is what he chooses.
I really don't usually react negatively if someone wants to buy into a different brand -- it isn't as if Neostyles is shooting Pentax now, anyway. He shoots a D600.

My issue with Neostyles, Phil, isn't that he bought mirrorless. It is that every six to nine months he thinks he has found the amazing camera brand, the gear that will unlock the photography treasure trove he has been looking for. He started with a K20, than a D5200 (I think), then a D600. Along the way, Pentax turned into a completely terrible camera system because it didn't measure up to the specs and amazing styling that Nikon offers. Now he is moving on to Samsung which is fine.

At the same time, he constantly complains that the city he lives in has no photographic opportunities. It is just barren of places to take photos and he has mined them all.

Maybe the Samsung is the answer, but it feels to me like there is a bigger issue than not having the specs the Samsung offers.

03-01-2015, 12:47 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Actually ive been shooting pentax for most of the last few years. Ive had the d600 for just under a year. I went through so many pentax cameras because i tended to outgrow them very quickly. I started from very humble beginnings with an istds (or whatever it's called), then a k10, a k20d and somehow i was able to afford a d600 + 2 lenses.

QuoteQuote:
My issue with Neostyles, Phil, isn't that he bought mirrorless. It is that every six to nine months he thinks he has found the amazing camera brand, the gear that will unlock the photography treasure trove he has been looking for. He started with a K20, than a D5200 (I think), then a D600. Along the way, Pentax turned into a completely terrible camera system because it didn't measure up to the specs and amazing styling that Nikon offers. Now he is moving on to Samsung which is fine. What gets me so stoked about mirroless (this one) is that it combines everything ive come to love about smart phones with my passion for photography. It's the intersection of the two greatest things

At the same time, he constantly complains that the city he lives in has no photographic opportunities. It is just barren of places to take photos and he has mined them all.

e
This is vastly different, rondec. It's mirrorless. It's like switching from dumb phone to a smart phone, a regular car to one of those self driving cars. In fact, I think dslrs are somewhat like flip phones of old. No one plugging memory cards into computers and spending the time to time to turn raw files into jpegs. The NX1 lets you share to social media in like 10 seconds. Now, yes, raw is an amazing tool for unleashing your creativity but the tech has really gotten so good that alot of shots look awesome straight out of camera (and the d600 was released in 2012, we're talking 2 years of technical moving forward.)

Then there is the af in the d600 which while very smart ( i love how it just "knows" what i want to focus on) and more than good enough for portraits, leaves a little to be desired for action. It's not exactly the fastest in the world and ive missed a few shots due to the autofocus. Ive gotten some amazing landscapes and portraits, but not too many action shots. Plus there is the 15 fps and 1/8000th sec max shutter speed. The d600 doesnt give me much ability to shoot fast moving subjects due to the small af coverage. Plus, the d600 is arguably only semi pro but i guess that thing can kind of boil down to semantics...

There is also video which as ive mentioned blows the d600 away. In addition to those 28 mp stills, it's a proper video camera suited to pro video work (and it's only gonna get better with the frequent updates.) The d600 is great for taking "home movies" but not really all that much good for pro work. H264 isnt exactly broadcast quality with the bitrates that nikon has left us with. Ive gotten some nice timelapses from it though. Part of what has sparked the desire to look elsewhere is really video. Even the $800 a6000 does video quite a bit better than some of the $6000 pro dslrs.

Yes, this town is pretty devoid of photographic opportunities. It's far from the exciting big city i see in DrTV episodes. Still, the nx1 would unlock more of those opportunities. Playing with the 15 fps is going to be amazing. Still when you live somewhere which is basically one giant, overdeveloped suburb there is only so much you can do, which is why im feverishly trying to find work elsewhere..
03-02-2015, 04:07 AM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
Actually ive been shooting pentax for most of the last few years. Ive had the d600 for just under a year. I went through so many pentax cameras because i tended to outgrow them very quickly. I started from very humble beginnings with an istds (or whatever it's called), then a k10, a k20d and somehow i was able to afford a d600 + 2 lenses.

This is vastly different, rondec. It's mirrorless. It's like switching from dumb phone to a smart phone, a regular car to one of those self driving cars. In fact, I think dslrs are somewhat like flip phones of old. No one plugging memory cards into computers and spending the time to time to turn raw files into jpegs. The NX1 lets you share to social media in like 10 seconds. Now, yes, raw is an amazing tool for unleashing your creativity but the tech has really gotten so good that alot of shots look awesome straight out of camera (and the d600 was released in 2012, we're talking 2 years of technical moving forward.)

Then there is the af in the d600 which while very smart ( i love how it just "knows" what i want to focus on) and more than good enough for portraits, leaves a little to be desired for action. It's not exactly the fastest in the world and ive missed a few shots due to the autofocus. Ive gotten some amazing landscapes and portraits, but not too many action shots. Plus there is the 15 fps and 1/8000th sec max shutter speed. The d600 doesnt give me much ability to shoot fast moving subjects due to the small af coverage. Plus, the d600 is arguably only semi pro but i guess that thing can kind of boil down to semantics...

There is also video which as ive mentioned blows the d600 away. In addition to those 28 mp stills, it's a proper video camera suited to pro video work (and it's only gonna get better with the frequent updates.) The d600 is great for taking "home movies" but not really all that much good for pro work. H264 isnt exactly broadcast quality with the bitrates that nikon has left us with. Ive gotten some nice timelapses from it though. Part of what has sparked the desire to look elsewhere is really video. Even the $800 a6000 does video quite a bit better than some of the $6000 pro dslrs.
Timelapse - YouTube

Yes, this town is pretty devoid of photographic opportunities. It's far from the exciting big city i see in DrTV episodes. Still, the nx1 would unlock more of those opportunities. Playing with the 15 fps is going to be amazing. Still when you live somewhere which is basically one giant, overdeveloped suburb there is only so much you can do, which is why im feverishly trying to find work elsewhere..
Well, good luck! Hope that the Samsung is all you hope it will be.
03-03-2015, 10:34 AM - 2 Likes   #52
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is vastly different, rondec. It's mirrorless. It's like switching from dumb phone to a smart phone, a regular car to one of those self driving cars. In fact, I think dslrs are somewhat like flip phones of old. No one plugging memory cards into computers and spending the time to time to turn raw files into jpegs.
With this kind of "logic", is it surprising that people will react with a bit of disdain? Where to even start...

First, I think you realize that all a mirrorless is, is a DSLR without the mirror... I'm not sure you realize that DSLRs now have wireless tethering and that they have jpg engines that are just like the ones the mirrorless cameras have!

I'll stop here...

QuoteQuote:
Yes, this town is pretty devoid of photographic opportunities. It's far from the exciting big city i see in DrTV episodes. Still, the nx1 would unlock more of those opportunities.
I hope your plan of finding the camera that turns you into a good photographer works out well for you. You'll be the first if that happens, so good luck...

03-05-2015, 02:30 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, of course, but when you put it that way it sounds kind of trivial. The small simple fact that that they dont have mirror evidently lets them be sold for much less while offering many, many more features. When was the last time you saw a dslr that went for $1500 that offered 15 fps, in camera 4k video, 200 (two freaking hunded!), etc. Even the nikon d4s that is around 3 times as much cant even offer the same burst rate. Heck, many sub $1000 mirrorless cameras offer burst rates that out class most high end DSLRs.

On another note, my dad is claiming that aps c lenses can only resolve 16 megapixels of detail? Is this really true in these days? This really sounds like a limitation that dates back to 2008 or something..

QuoteQuote:
I hope your plan of finding the camera that turns you into a good photographer works out well for you. You'll be the first if that happens, so good luck...
I dont think thats the point dude. I think this is going to open up a lot of new opportunities for me as a creative wizard. 15 fps is going to be epic! The video side of things is really going to help me too because this is really suited for pro video work unlike the d600 which is pretty much well suited for taking videos of your dog

Last edited by neostyles; 03-05-2015 at 02:40 PM.
03-05-2015, 07:03 PM   #54
Pentaxian

unlike the d600 which is pretty much well suited for taking videos of your dog
I think you are revealing your lack of camera experience - or imagination - if you seriously believe that.

03-06-2015, 04:04 AM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, of course, but when you put it that way it sounds kind of trivial. The small simple fact that that they dont have mirror evidently lets them be sold for much less while offering many, many more features. When was the last time you saw a dslr that went for $1500 that offered 15 fps, in camera 4k video, 200 (two freaking hunded!), etc. Even the nikon d4s that is around 3 times as much cant even offer the same burst rate. Heck, many sub $1000 mirrorless cameras offer burst rates that out class most high end DSLRs.

On another note, my dad is claiming that aps c lenses can only resolve 16 megapixels of detail? Is this really true in these days? This really sounds like a limitation that dates back to 2008 or something..

I dont think thats the point dude. I think this is going to open up a lot of new opportunities for me as a creative wizard. 15 fps is going to be epic! The video side of things is really going to help me too because this is really suited for pro video work unlike the d600 which is pretty much well suited for taking videos of your dog
I think what you will find is that better lenses can resolve more than 16 megapixels, but they will probably need to be stopped down a little.
03-06-2015, 04:57 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Rawr, that might have been stretching things a little bit but not being able to change the aperture while shooting, no focus or exposure aids, etc all kind of really limit its potential for videography. W're talking things that mirrorless systems half the price pack in.
03-06-2015, 10:40 PM   #57
Pentaxian

I may not be a creative wizard but what do you plan on shooting at 15 fps ?

What do you mean 200 ? Is it frame rate ? I can see why that might be handy, the highest frame rate I have ever used was 12000 but that camera could do 400000. 200 on a still camera could be fun. I am very surprised of you not being able to get action shots with the D600.

Enjoy your new gear and come back with a review of it once you have gotten used to it. Silver bullets are great.
03-07-2015, 04:23 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Original Poster
03-07-2015, 06:01 PM   #59
Veteran Member

While I like the Samsung a lot I think what you really need is a car. Or spend your money on bus/train tickets. And workshops.

The Samsung, as impressive as it is, won't make you a better photographer.
03-07-2015, 07:16 PM - 1 Like   #60
Pentaxian

Neostyles - You say you don't have money to get to places from Palo Alto, and yet you want to spend upwards of $2000 on gear? i was doing work in Palo Alto a few years ago and was there for a week. There is plenty to shoot in the area. The PCH can take you wherever you want to go if you drive and have wheels and there is public transportation to San Francisco if you don't. I remember when I used to be a good runner (a long time ago now) when my motivation was flagging, I would find a new pair or running shoes would get me out wanting to try them out. They soon became more used and I would have to find a new way to motivate myself. I couldn't simply keep buying new ones.

Changing your camera is a big step and shouldn't be done lightly. Yes, I have done it - went from Canon main body to Pentax 645D main body with Canon as back up and then got into the D800 that often interchanged with the 645D as main body. I am working in a feast or famine industry and I buy my gear when it is feast time. If you are finding it hard to afford to go places to shoot and you are complaining that there is nothing to shoot on your doorstep, a new camera will inspire you to take lots of trial shots of all the places you have always been and then you'll be back to square one. $2000 buys a lot of train/bus tickets. It also goes someway towards a car.