Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2015, 06:48 PM   #76
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
And some people are inspired while using a 8X10, a pinhole, or a RB67. My Kr with 3 pipes is also a pretty light kit. I have used D200/D300 systems and they and the D600 are obviously larger bodies but were that size when you bought them.

I fail to understand how 15 fps will provide inspiration, I can see the use for it but not how that will inspire you to go out and create exciting images.

---------- Post added 03-08-15 at 05:52 PM ----------

House, Hawaii 5 0, some movies and British television series have managed somehow to be shot with a Canon and both Canon and Nikon cameras have shot feature films.
They were shot on those cameras because that's the only way back then you could get a big sensor. Lots of workarounds were needed, etc., ... Canon has stopped improving video functionality since a few years ago, in some cases the cameras are worse than older models. The reason is simple, Canon sells the Cinema EOS line of cameras, which are basically mirrorless APS-C cameras with ergonomic tweaks to make them more suitable for video. Hugely successful, but useless for stills. And image quality isn't that great either, much cheaper competitors have better quality... it's just down to usability.

Nikon has improved in terms of video, and is for the most part ahead of Pentax, despite using similar hardware (though maybe the K-S2 has caught up...?), they offer solid 1080p performance these days it seems. However Olympus has really invested into video. So has Panasonic, which has for a long time produced professional video cameras, likewise Sony. Samsung too has eyed the professional video market... Olympus' strong point is the stabilization, Panasonic is perhaps ergonomics, Sony has low light performance. Samsung has a more balanced camera IMHO, combining good quality with a large enough sensor (Olympus and Panasonic are a bit small), having about the same size as say an Arri Alexa (the camera Hollywood etc. usually use), and the right functionality to support it. Shame about the lack of stabilization (unless the lens has it).

The reason why we may not see feature films use these newer cameras is because now there are cameras like the Cinema EOS series, there is the F5/F55 from Sony, etc. Professional large sensor gear at still reasonable prices (say around a 645Z?). If you're going to produce a movie, chances are you can afford one of those, even if it's only rented. Usability and workflow wise they are better. Useless for people who want to shoot both with one camera and who want to own it.

@neostyles: I agree, the NX1 looks like it's a great camera. I just don't think that, looking at your photos (including the portfolio), the camera is the limiting factor. The money seems to be better spent on workshops, travels, ...

Btw., if you want to go really light, why not the NX500? It's mostly a NX1, minus the EVF, and it costs a lot less, is much smaller and weights less.

I agree with itshimitis, the flickr account is a bad representation. Ok, that's maybe not what it's meant for, but even the portfolio isn't that strong. 5 really strong photos is better than 20 good to really strong ones.

03-08-2015, 10:14 PM   #77
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Compare using a an iphone with an old flip phone and please tell me about how touch screens are useless. Touch screens make things 10x more faster than using physical controls. With the nx1 you can just tap to select a focus point like you would on your phone. It's just better. My flickr is basically a photographic blog of sorts.. or a journal i guess if you want think of it that way. Ive never seen a job that asked for your flickr... Most of them ask for the portfolio so that is what i use as a representation of my creative talent.
03-09-2015, 02:15 PM   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
Compare using a an iphone with an old flip phone and please tell me about how touch screens are useless. Touch screens make things 10x more faster than using physical controls. With the nx1 you can just tap to select a focus point like you would on your phone. It's just better. My flickr is basically a photographic blog of sorts.. or a journal i guess if you want think of it that way. Ive never seen a job that asked for your flickr... Most of them ask for the portfolio so that is what i use as a representation of my creative talent.
I wish it worked that way.

physical controls on a camera are much more intuitive and functional, especially when your using the view finder. Hard to touch the screen when your nose is pressed against it.

While shooting video, in live view, and you take your hand away to select a focus point your now reducing stability and could/will cause camera shake (unless your gimbaled). Its much easier to setup AF select point on the rear dial and use AF-back button to engage disengage focus. In addition to that manually focusing in video is a lot easier and more reliable than the computer.

Yes, flickr is not a replacement for a portfolio. I throw almost everything up on fickr, but my website gets only the best images. I got my fair share of absolute garbage on flickr too. I just don't delete because I'm lazy.

It's funny, back in December during the D750 thread you were going on and on about how much better Nikon is, and when I came back about the OMD EM1 being a great compliment to my D800 you argued about why would one not buy a FF camera, battery life, how Nikon controls are just state of the art... its kind of funny how your stance has changed so dramatically... just saying.
03-09-2015, 05:20 PM   #79
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
touch screens are useless if you have a good set of controls to work with. Sorry, thats my opinion.

Tell the directors and videographers of a little TV show called "House" how bad the Canon 5DMKII is at making movies... I dare you.
I like the look of the NX1 and touch screens can be good for precise focussing when they work properly. They wouldn't be very useful for anyone working where it's chilly as you have to freeze your hands and yes you can get gloves that allow you to use touch screens. While these are fine to select apps on your iPhone they aren't much use for selecting a tiny area of the frame to focus on. I'm hoping that Olympus, Panasonic, Sony and Samsung bring the big two into line. Mirror less has great potential but it's not quite there yet IMO.

03-09-2015, 06:06 PM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
I wish it worked that way.

physical controls on a camera are much more intuitive and functional, especially when your using the view finder. Hard to touch the screen when your nose is pressed against it.

While shooting video, in live view, and you take your hand away to select a focus point your now reducing stability and could/will cause camera shake (unless your gimbaled). Its much easier to setup AF select point on the rear dial and use AF-back button to engage disengage focus. In addition to that manually focusing in video is a lot easier and more reliable than the computer.

Yes, flickr is not a replacement for a portfolio. I throw almost everything up on fickr, but my website gets only the best images. I got my fair share of absolute garbage on flickr too. I just don't delete because I'm lazy.

It's funny, back in December during the D750 thread you were going on and on about how much better Nikon is, and when I came back about the OMD EM1 being a great compliment to my D800 you argued about why would one not buy a FF camera, battery life, how Nikon controls are just state of the art... its kind of funny how your stance has changed so dramatically... just saying.
Using dials and buttons with physical resistance can also shake the camera. The way the NX1 seems to do it is to offer the option of using touchscreen controls, but to also have a physical way of doing everything. Just use what currently works best for you.
03-09-2015, 06:22 PM   #81
Pentaxian

Ummm so you change settings during exposure? That would be the only way to have the controls induce shaking.
03-09-2015, 08:29 PM   #82
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Hard to touch the screen when your nose is pressed against it.

That's why you change your settings before putting taking the shot. Plus, samsung has a really cool innovation here with the i button on the lenses that lets you change all your settings without even taking your eye off the evf. The evf here is a big help in that it shows you the actual exposure of the shot before you take it. You can use the i button from what i can tell and adjust the exposure to your hearts content all while seeing the results in real time through the viewfinder. As for video wouldnt you use a tripod anyway? How is having to shoot through af points like a video game easier than just jumping directly to the point you want to focus on. Im sure all of us who have an a iphone will testify how much easier it is to focus on a specific point than a dslr.

The nx1 has an af button too

03-10-2015, 02:43 AM   #83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'll just say that I have really bad experiences with having sweaty hands and being unable to operate a touch screen. Feels like just a little bit of moisture can mess it up. I guess I prefer dedicated buttons from a still shooting standpoint. Muscle memory is such that once you know where the buttons are you can access all of them without bringing the camera away from your face.
03-10-2015, 03:11 AM   #84
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I'll just say that I have really bad experiences with having sweaty hands and being unable to operate a touch screen. Feels like just a little bit of moisture can mess it up. I guess I prefer dedicated buttons from a still shooting standpoint. Muscle memory is such that once you know where the buttons are you can access all of them without bringing the camera away from your face.
This is why I bought a car that doesn't have a touch screen. Because you have to look at a touch screen whereas you can just feel for buttons on a normal system.
03-10-2015, 11:11 AM   #85
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
This is why I bought a car that doesn't have a touch screen. Because you have to look at a touch screen whereas you can just feel for buttons on a normal system.
What I love about the touchscreen on my Tab 4 or iPod is my touching the screen sometimes takes me places I did not know I wanted to go.
03-10-2015, 05:43 PM   #86
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You can't choose a touch point while using an EVF anyway. On the Flucard Pentaxes you can with your phone, if it's important to you.
03-11-2015, 07:40 AM   #87
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
totally agree. tactile controls that are setup properly will reduce your need to go into menus and use the touch screen.

My K3 and D800... yea, I haven't been in the menus since I inititally setup the cameras.
03-11-2015, 04:12 PM   #88
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You can't choose a touch point while using an EVF anyway. On the Flucard Pentaxes you can with your phone, if it's important to you.
Actually you could. It would act as a touchpad, you would swipe around etc. to change settings, select a different focusing point etc. It could also be useful for video recording as swiping will be less noisy/shaky than turning a dial with clicks.

If the K-S2 demoed at CP+ is any indication of the WiFi performance/live view speed then it's not a good experience.
03-11-2015, 04:40 PM   #89
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I find touch screens to be faster for many things because they allow you to jump directly to what you want to select and plus i challenge you to select focus point with as much ease and simplicity that you do with an iphone... As the drtv video above says in some ways dslrs are still overshadowed by early mobile devices. Said iphone from 2007 has wifi/bluetooth which few dslrs have or does it quite a bit better than they do. Just my 2 cents
03-11-2015, 04:55 PM - 1 Like   #90
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Actually you could. It would act as a touchpad, you would swipe around etc. to change settings, select a different focusing point etc.
What, squeezing your finger under your cheek while attempting to use the EVF?

No thanks, K! :-D

I have a Samsung Mini NX.

It has a completely touch centric interface with almost no buttons or dials, and it alternates between being handy and *incredibly* frustrating!

I would not buy a 'real' camera emulating a phone.

Samsung's wifi implementation is like all I've seen, slow and limited, too. I always connect by USB to transfer files.