Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
03-11-2015, 05:06 PM   #91
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
What, squeezing your finger under your cheek while attempting to use the EVF?

No thanks, K! :-D

I have a Samsung Mini NX.

It has a completely touch centric interface with almost no buttons or dials, and it alternates between being handy and *incredibly* frustrating!

I would not buy a 'real' camera emulating a phone.

Samsung's wifi implementation is like all I've seen, slow and limited, too. I always connect by USB to transfer files.
Hm. I just held my K-5 to the eye, still had enough place for my left thumb to touch the screen.

It doesn't have to be completely touch or completely buttons. From what I know the NX1 lets you use the touchscreen or the buttons/dials, for all the main operations. Whatever is currently the better option. That seems to be a sensible approach.

03-12-2015, 01:29 PM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
I find touch screens to be faster for many things because they allow you to jump directly to what you want to select and plus i challenge you to select focus point with as much ease and simplicity that you do with an iphone... As the drtv video above says in some ways dslrs are still overshadowed by early mobile devices. Said iphone from 2007 has wifi/bluetooth which few dslrs have or does it quite a bit better than they do. Just my 2 cents
your opinion is valid and if it works for you thats cool.

For me, using an OVF with the dial pad is so much easier for me to use the camera. I could see it being faster if all I did was live view, or for the odd time I did use live view...but I don't. I compose with the viewfinder. A touch screen to select focus point in that way just wouldn't work.

DRTV is full of crap most of the time. that being said, the innovations of other devices to have wifi/bluetooth/gps is quite surprising, especially when other brands use these bulky stupid external devices to do the same thing.

The flip side is how useful are these options and how much of a fad. For a basic user who is doing more social sharing and less editing and printing/sharing wifi for file transfer makes a lot more sense. Why cameras are using wifi instead of bluetooth for remote control is shocking, but maybe it has something to do with transfer speeds (sending that live view feed to your device). The GPS thing is mind boggling, especially for landscape shooters for geo-caching.

The truth is, in practice the wifi between your camera/phone is just not practical as every device I've used can only connect to one wifi server at a time, and if the connect is interrupted the device will search for the strongest signal from the device its been paired previously. What this means is, I'm shooting in my studio where I have wifi. My laptop is sync'd via wifi to my Pentax K3 OR D800 using flu/eyefi cards. The camera sends a jpg to the monitor for instant review so we can get feedback on the shoot as it's going on. It's great, I love it! I goto move the lights or discuss something with the model, my camera goes into standby mode. The laptop instantly switches from being locked into the eyefi card to my studios' wifi signal. Then I have to switch it back over, which can be frustrating.

It's great in theory, frustrating in execution. It's even worse with tablets and phones. If Bluetooth was adopted to replace wifi for wireless tethering or remote control then I could see a much more reliable connection. (bluetooth could be a range driven concern too... my bluetooth headphones often drop connection with my phone in my pocket while I'm walking/biking). In my opinion, wifi is just too crowded in todays society for it to be feasable...and I'm in a smaller city, I could only imagine the pain and suffering in a place like Vancouver or Toronto.
03-12-2015, 05:39 PM   #93
Veteran Member

Theoretically the camera could also connect to the WiFi router... then those problems should be gone.
03-12-2015, 06:34 PM   #94
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Theoretically the camera could also connect to the WiFi router... then those problems should be gone.
Certainly, you can in the Sony system.

Edit: I take it back. Like Samsung, you can do several things connected to your home router but remote shutter release by your phone isn't one of them.

Last edited by clackers; 03-12-2015 at 06:44 PM.
08-07-2015, 06:41 PM   #95
Pentaxian

Here's a very informative review of the camera. Seems like a pretty darn good camera but like every thing it has flaws. Is the autofocus as inconsistent as they say in the review.

Last edited by Sliver-Surfer; 08-08-2015 at 07:40 AM.