Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
03-07-2015, 08:23 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Im not saying that this is going to happen tommorow. I want to do it when i have a little more money to get some high end glass, but yeah, my my move to mirror less is definitely happening. I will be honest, a major motivation behind the switch is video. I started out doing stills but ive really been wanting to get into video and the big mirroless players have really out shined canon/nikon for video even though they've only been in the game for a few years. Like the above video says, canon/nikon just dont seem to be innovating alot. Hell, the $800 a6000 is a better camera for video than my $1500 d600. FF dslrs are bloody huge too. I had to put down a little over $100 on a new bag to have room for all my gear. I assisted for a wedding shoot and i was in awe of how much room was needed to store the gear (lighting not included.) For the space it took for the canons and their lenses, you could probaly fit an a7 and the vast majority of sonys full frame lenses.

And you really do need a car to take your dslr gear around. Many mirrorless cameras are almost pocket able. Ok, maybe not so much the nx1, but it's almost 1 1/2 pounds lighter than the d600 (with 24-85) and i think that would really be noticeable. EVFs are going to really revolutionize photography i think too.

03-07-2015, 08:38 PM - 2 Likes   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sometimes on this forum (just like in real life) you just have to realise that engaging in a dialogue with certain individuals is not going to lead anywhere, or enhance ones life in anyway.
03-07-2015, 11:04 PM   #63
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Sometimes on this forum (just like in real life) you just have to realise that engaging in a dialogue with certain individuals is not going to lead anywhere, or enhance ones life in anyway.
So true. Some of my friends seem able to take the large Nikon like the D3 on motorcycles or even bicycles. It makes interesting reading and next year I look forward to Part 3 the move to ???????
03-08-2015, 12:07 AM - 1 Like   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In the mean time... take you D600

learn how to use manual mode properly. I'm assuming from your posts your using a combination of auto modes
learn how to use back button AF-C mode, and select the focus points manual
learn how to properly stabilize your body and hands. (I run a gripped D800 with 70-200mm f2.8 all day long, sometimes 8 hours a day, don't have an issue with shaky images, and I'm a wimp)
get on your feet and go for some walks in places you've never been. I seriously doubt you have walked every street, alley way, and sidewalk path in your city. I made an effort to get out every day for a 2 hour walk in a new area after work for a year straight and I haven't even scratched the surface of the neighborhoods I've visited.

15fps and video are your two biggest selling points. I agree, the NX1 has these features locked down. The GH4 could give it a run for it's money in terms of spec. I'd also look at the Sony A7s and Nikon D750, granted they wont be firing 15fps though, but all offer pretty good video packages.

Speaking of video packages and codecs... how are you going to be editing these videos? Adobe Premiere isn't cheap.
Do you plan on doing any kind of audio? What are you looking at for mics? Rode Videomics will only get you so far...

You do know the standard rule of thumb of setting your shutter speed to double that of your frame right for video right? so if your shooting at 60fps you set your shutter to 1/120". I'd suggest some ND filters in the future for you. This is how I control exposure on my cameras, with variable ND's, because aperture adjustments introduce more camera shake and change your depth of field, not just light transmission. Sometimes you want to change exposure but not the depth of field.

Your talking about going pro, but the way you talk you seem to lack a lot of the basic fundamentals. speaking of going pro... have you looked into: business cards, a business licence for both your municipality and state, an accountant, business insurance, website, marketing. Have you been networking with others in the field you plan on attacking?

There is SO much to do that you could be doing with your D600 to help your craft. Make the most of your gear. As I said I shoot with a D800 a K3. I shoot everything from Fashion runway shows, to live bands, to general portraiture, bicycle races, landscape with these cameras. Sure 15fps would be really nice for burst firing to get "the shot" when the models feet line up perfectly on the runway... but you know whats more satisfying, timing it properly in single shot mode and saving all that memory card and hard drive space. Timing is everything.

Stop worrying about how much more "smart phone" like the NX1 is. It's a camera for gods sake, do you really need a pile of apps and new updates? I haven't had an update on my D800 in forever... I don't mind. There's nothing I would change.

03-08-2015, 02:58 AM   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
Im not saying that this is going to happen tommorow. I want to do it when i have a little more money to get some high end glass, but yeah, my my move to mirror less is definitely happening. I will be honest, a major motivation behind the switch is video. I started out doing stills but ive really been wanting to get into video and the big mirroless players have really out shined canon/nikon for video even though they've only been in the game for a few years. Like the above video says, canon/nikon just dont seem to be innovating alot. Hell, the $800 a6000 is a better camera for video than my $1500 d600. FF dslrs are bloody huge too. I had to put down a little over $100 on a new bag to have room for all my gear. I assisted for a wedding shoot and i was in awe of how much room was needed to store the gear (lighting not included.) For the space it took for the canons and their lenses, you could probaly fit an a7 and the vast majority of sonys full frame lenses.

And you really do need a car to take your dslr gear around. Many mirrorless cameras are almost pocket able. Ok, maybe not so much the nx1, but it's almost 1 1/2 pounds lighter than the d600 (with 24-85) and i think that would really be noticeable. EVFs are going to really revolutionize photography i think too.
You sound like you are in your 20's. I'm in my mid 40's and only learnt to drive less than 2 years ago. I have been shooting as an enthusiast for 7 years. The photos I have posted on the full frame thread yesterday and the day before are over 4 years old. I got to the Lake District by train some 300 miles away from home. I would carry a full frame camera plus 5/6 lenses and hike up to 40 miles with them. Am I superfit? Not at all. I was fitter then than I am now, but still walk with my camera - 645Z plus a few lenses, and sometimes a D800 too.

If you need a new camera to give you inspiration, or to get you motivated, then a career as a photographer is not for you. Perhaps you need more vision to see things in your area in a way you haven't seen them before. The world is your canvas, but it's up to you how you paint on it. Get out and shoot with what you have, make an effort to get to new places, and explore. You live within spitting distance of one of the great cities of the US. You live within a spitting distance of the redwoods the Golden Gate and the winelands. If you have a drivers licence you should be able to hire a car to get to these places more easily.

Sure it's easier when you have wheels. My accessibility for dawn and dusk shots opened up massively once I started to drive. But if you really want to do this, I mean REALLY want to do it - and you will need to in this crowded world of photography, you will have to make sacrifices. Some of them financial, some of them physical. If you're not prepared to make them, then perhaps photography as a career isn't for you.
03-08-2015, 12:19 PM   #66
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I mean, sure there there places in palo alto to shoot, but not really alot compared to most big cities.
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote

In the mean time... take you D600

learn how to use manual mode properly. I'm assuming from your posts your using a combination of auto modes
learn how to properly stabilize your body and hands. (I run a gripped D800 with 70-200mm f2.8 all day long, sometimes 8 hours a day, don't have an issue with shaky images, and I'm a wimp)
get on your feet and go for some walks in places you've never been. I seriously doubt you have walked every street, alley way, and sidewalk path in your city. I made an effort to get out every day for a 2 hour walk in a new area after work for a year straight and I haven't even
Please see the drtv video above. I believe it sums up my thoughts pretty damn well Its not a matter of shaky images. I left those long behind with the k20 that i used to use in 2013. Like jason lanier said, lighter gear unleashes you creatively. I could probably walk all day around with a medium format stuff because i am pretty strong. In college i could bench 150 for a few reps. But when your gear isnt weighing down on you, im a big believer that it really improves you as an artist. If i was just looking at getting yet another dslr i think this would be very true, but mirrorless is so much more than that. It's an evolution. The NX1 is the best of both worlds. The lightness of a mirrorless system combined with the durability of cameras im used to using.

It's also a matter of simply not being able to do somethings. Nikon left that's that should be there out. There is no abilility to punch in and check your focus or judge your exposure without chimping like mirrorless cameras. T he evf shows you the shot you are going to get. It takes the guesswork out of things. Like ive said, i think that samsung also has a professional movie camera in the NX1.. The d600 not so much. Sure, i get it. Understanding how to use your camera is important. The person behind the camera is the most important thing, but mirrorless can do so much more at a lower price point things that i need, if i am going to transition from an enthusiast to professional.

QuoteQuote:
get on your feet and go for some walks in places you've never been. I seriously doubt you have walked every street, alley way, and sidewalk path in your city. I made an effort to get out every day for a 2 hour walk in a new area after work for a year straight and I haven't even scratched the surface of the neighborhoods I've visited.
I may be only 20 something but i didnt pick up a camera yesterday. This seems a tad bit condescending. Auto mode? Come on really?

I go exploring every day. Im a very adventerous person by nature, part of what led me to pick up a camera. But i dont think you can deny that this place isnt about to win any awards for photographic gold mine. Perfectly flat, at sea level? Check. Very few interesting landmarks (aside from stanford campus)? Check. Ive been searching for something like abandone buildings, but nothing. Everything has been over zealously changed to suite middle class tastes and any sort of landmarks with a hint of personality or history would offend these peoples tastes. This town does have alot of history behind it. It dates back to pre 1900s but sadly anything that could have told a story seems to have been removed in favor of shiny new modernization. Granted, like i said, i get a little something every now and then. Enough to keep me amusing. I switched to film for a bit to see how this would impact my creative process and im very excited to see to see the results. I may have also found work shooting events for the city.

I went to school in hayward which was a big city, but being poor atleast has the advantage that they couldnt make everything shiny, new and for the most part boring. You had abandoned train tunnels with graffit. Stuff like that. And i was able to get these by only by driving 20 mins with my room mate. Couldnt have asked for more as a photographer
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 

Last edited by neostyles; 09-09-2016 at 03:17 AM.
03-08-2015, 02:40 PM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I mean, sure there there places in palo alto to shoot, but not really alot compared to most big cities.

Please see the drtv video above. I believe it sums up my thoughts pretty damn well Its not a matter of shaky images. I left those long behind with the k20 that i used to use in 2013. Like jason lanier said, lighter gear unleashes you creatively. I could probably walk all day around with a medium format stuff because i am pretty strong. In college i could bench 150 for a few reps. But when your gear isnt weighing down on you, im a big believer that it really improves you as an artist. If i was just looking at getting yet another dslr i think this would be very true, but mirrorless is so much more than that. It's an evolution. The NX1 is the best of both worlds. The lightness of a mirrorless system combined with the durability of cameras im used to using.

It's also a matter of simply not being able to do somethings. Nikon left that's that should be there out. There is no abilility to punch in and check your focus or judge your exposure without chimping like mirrorless cameras. T he evf shows you the shot you are going to get. It takes the guesswork out of things. Like ive said, i think that samsung also has a professional movie camera in the NX1.. The d600 not so much. Sure, i get it. Understanding how to use your camera is important. The person behind the camera is the most important thing, but mirrorless can do so much more at a lower price point things that i need, if i am going to transition from an enthusiast to professional.

I may be only 20 something but i didnt pick up a camera yesterday. This seems a tad bit condescending. Auto mode? Come on really?

I go exploring every day. Im a very adventerous person by nature, part of what led me to pick up a camera. But i dont think you can deny that this place isnt about to win any awards for photographic gold mine. Perfectly flat, at sea level? Check. Very few interesting landmarks (aside from stanford campus)? Check. Ive been searching for something like abandone buildings, but nothing. Everything has been over zealously changed to suite middle class tastes and any sort of landmarks with a hint of personality or history would offend these peoples tastes. This town does have alot of history behind it. It dates back to pre 1900s but sadly anything that could have told a story seems to have been removed in favor of shiny new modernization. Granted, like i said, i get a little something every now and then. Enough to keep me amusing. I switched to film for a bit to see how this would impact my creative process and im very excited to see to see the results. I may have also found work shooting events for the city.

I went to school in hayward which was a big city, but being poor atleast has the advantage that they couldnt make everything shiny, new and for the most part boring. You had abandoned train tunnels with graffit. Stuff like that. And i was able to get these by only by driving 20 mins with my room mate. Couldnt have asked for more as a photographer
How did you get him to levitate like that?

03-08-2015, 03:31 PM - 1 Like   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
I would carry a full frame camera plus 5/6 lenses and hike up to 40 miles with them...[I] still walk with my camera - 645Z plus a few lenses, and sometimes a D800 too.
Wow. Who needs a gym membership when you have photography as a hobby, and FF and MF cameras in your kit.
03-08-2015, 04:16 PM   #69
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Please, i made lots of sacrifices. I started out shooting a used ist ds which which wouldnt even wb properly half the time. All i had for it was the kit lens. And i shot that for probably a year. All i currently have for my d600 are two lenses. In order to get my hands on a flash i had to part ways with my 3rd lens, leaving me with just a 50mm prime and 24-85.. Hiking through a scenic part of the world is arguably far superior to biking through a city. This really isn't about inspiration as it is, giving you more, oh so much more, in a much smaller system that weighs down on you much less. Granted having 4k movies at your finger tips and 15 fps shooting probably will inspire you in its own way Sure, you can carry 3 cameras with you but i can tell you that if you have one that can do what all of them do and probably better and easier you will improve at what you do. SLRs started out pretty light but they've gotten pretty big and bulky afaik.
03-08-2015, 05:05 PM - 1 Like   #70
Veteran Member

Jack,
I took a look at your Flickr account so take some time and look at mine.
This is a little C and C so dont take it offensively.
All your photos are all underexposed and it seems you're still in your infancy with photography.

I have been into photography for four years and its been a huge learning curve and still is.
I have sold and bought many cameras and lenses to be a wildlife photographer and its cost me thousands of dollars, but I took the time with each system to see what's best for me.
Cheers Travis
03-08-2015, 05:22 PM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dane.dawg Quote
Jack,
I took a look at your Flickr account so take some time and look at mine.
This is a little C and C so dont take it offensively.
All your photos are all underexposed and it seems you're still in your infancy with photography.

I have been into photography for four years and its been a huge learning curve and still is.
I have sold and bought many cameras and lenses to be a wildlife photographer and its cost me thousands of dollars, but I took the time with each system to see what's best for me.
Cheers Travis
I think the photos are exposed ok... otherwise there'd be lots of overblown highlights. However those photos clearly need to be processed. They all look like unprocessed JPEGs.

As for the *istDS... IMHO that was a great camera. White balance... I don't know, don't really care about in camera white balance. I did commercial shoots with that camera until 2011 or 2012, no problem (used it since 2008... and the commercial work was almost exclusively done with the kit lens, though I do have other lenses too). And ergonomically I in parts even prefer it to the K-5, especially the Fn button. God I miss that thing! Only switched to a K-5 because my *istDS died, and my boss back then paid a part of the camera.

Anyway, looking at the flickr stream... as far as it loads, I don't see how your D600 limits your photography, apart from the size and weight. And the NX1 isn't much smaller. Why not go for a Fuji? At least those are a lot smaller and lighter... And why did you buy the D600 in the first place? It's a brick. I would never have bought that camera... if you had stayed with Pentax back then you'd have it better.

Also, what you need is a Lightroom license, not a new camera

Btw., on your portfolio, the studio work... you keep cutting off parts of your models in a way that looks accidental, not intentional. With sometimes plenty of white space above the model. Can't say I'm too impressed, sorry.

Last edited by kadajawi; 03-08-2015 at 05:33 PM.
03-08-2015, 05:31 PM   #72
Veteran Member

Original Poster
*Facepalm* I really hope you didnt just look at the first 5 photos. Ive been shooting for almost 3 years and whats on my flickr is in no way a representation of my photographic skill in its entirety. A good 60 ish percent of it is more or less the equivalent of doodling in your note book when you are bored i class. Many of them are underexposed on purpose to draw the viewers eye to things and in turn to demphasize parts that arent very remarkable.. Yes, i can see you are quite accomplished as a wildlife photo Im not really much of a wildlife photographer but im not exactly a big fan of wild life photography nor do i really have the equipment to pretend otherwise. Like i said, only two lenses at the moment.

EDIT : I..... do have lightroom. Ive been using it for a year. Like i said, video, it's never been the strong suite of either canon/nikon. Plus, the movable touch screen, things which nikon/canon for some reason believe dont belong where pro work is concerned and are only suited to entry level cameras which is such bs.

Last edited by neostyles; 03-08-2015 at 05:41 PM.
03-08-2015, 05:46 PM   #73
Pentaxian

Please, i made lots of sacrifices. I started out shooting a used ist ds which which wouldnt even wb properly half the time. All i had for it was the kit lens. And i shot that for probably a year. All i currently have for my d600 are two lenses. In order to get my hands on a flash i had to part ways with my 3rd lens, leaving me with just a 50mm prime and 24-85.. Hiking through a scenic part of the world is arguably far superior to biking through a city. This really isn't about inspiration as it is, giving you more, oh so much more, in a much smaller system that weighs down on you much less. Granted having 4k movies at your finger tips and 15 fps shooting probably will inspire you in its own way Sure, you can carry 3 cameras with you but i can tell you that if you have one that can do what all of them do and probably better and easier you will improve at what you do. SLRs started out pretty light but they've gotten pretty big and bulky afaik.
And some people are inspired while using a 8X10, a pinhole, or a RB67. My Kr with 3 pipes is also a pretty light kit. I have used D200/D300 systems and they and the D600 are obviously larger bodies but were that size when you bought them.

I fail to understand how 15 fps will provide inspiration, I can see the use for it but not how that will inspire you to go out and create exciting images.

---------- Post added 03-08-15 at 05:52 PM ----------

*Facepalm* I really hope you didnt just look at the first 5 photos. Ive been shooting for almost 3 years and whats on my flickr is in no way a representation of my photographic skill in its entirety. A good 60 ish percent of it is more or less the equivalent of doodling in your note book when you are bored i class. Many of them are underexposed on purpose to draw the viewers eye to things and in turn to demphasize parts that arent very remarkable.. Yes, i can see you are quite accomplished as a wildlife photo Im not really much of a wildlife photographer but im not exactly a big fan of wild life photography nor do i really have the equipment to pretend otherwise. Like i said, only two lenses at the moment.

EDIT : I..... do have lightroom. Ive been using it for a year. Like i said, video, it's never been the strong suite of either canon/nikon. Plus, the movable touch screen, things which nikon/canon for some reason believe dont belong where pro work is concerned and are only suited to entry level cameras which is such bs.
House, Hawaii 5 0, some movies and British television series have managed somehow to be shot with a Canon and both Canon and Nikon cameras have shot feature films.
03-08-2015, 06:43 PM   #74
Veteran Member

touch screens are useless if you have a good set of controls to work with. Sorry, thats my opinion.

Tell the directors and videographers of a little TV show called "House" how bad the Canon 5DMKII is at making movies... I dare you.
03-08-2015, 06:43 PM   #75
Pentaxian

Then delete the shots you aren't happy with. Or if you'd like to keep them there, make them private. What you have there is a representation of your skills old and new but your audience won't have any way of knowing which is which. If you show no quality control with your work then you won't get many engagements for professional shoots.