Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2015, 12:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Well so long nikon (or a a few reflections on mirrorless)

Its been an amazing year but ive found another girl, a bit smaller yes, but oh so amazing. 15 fps, 4k in camera video recording, to name a few a few. No, dont worry nikon i will always love you, but ive just found someone else better for me. Im not talking about canon, but of course the amazing samsung nx1. The promise of monthly updates was just too much to resist. Im still waiting for I am Advancing and i think i might have gotten one update since i got my d600. As jasnon lanier said, i've just found something better. The prospect of having a wi fi enabled camera that can transfer pics to my phone, download freaking apps is just amazing.

After what was made of the a6000 especially being endorsed by gary fong, why not just go with the a6000? Well not being an award winning, pro photographer, whos name proceeds them does kind of have it's downsides. Im worried when i show up for my first gig in a week or so that someone might mistake it for a point and shoot. The NX1 isnt much smaller than the d600

For some the tiny, pocketable size of mirrorless is awesome but for those of us just starting out on our commercial journey, it's like a huge 3lb bacon cheeseburger. Sure, delicious in ways that words cant describe but too much of it may not be the best thing. The NX1 is completely magnesium alloy (while the d600 is only partially so) and it weighs 200g less.

Like most mirrorless systems you dont get the zillions of lens choices that you get with nikon, but i thinks its pretty much a given that we will see lens adapters similar to those that has made sony the one size fits all of lenses. I dont think that there is any doubt that sony will also expand their lineup.

TCS said that it competes with some ff cameras and i have to agree. The sharpness is very impressive and the colors are right at home with nikon. And it does them at 15 fps! And the touchscreen! Yeeee i feel like a kid in a candy store!

Last edited by neostyles; 02-16-2015 at 01:33 PM.
02-16-2015, 01:11 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
The promise of monthly updates was just too much to resist.
And this is supposed to be a good thing? In industry, this is referred to as shifting the firmware QA effort to the user base. In other words, purchasers test the cameras with fixes being incrementally released. As was stated by a software executive I am acquainted with..."We let our fruit ripen in other people's baskets".

Steve
02-16-2015, 01:16 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Are you just dreaming about it, or have you bought one?

While it certainly looks a cool camera - if you are a sports shooter, particularly - I'd wait until I see some DxoMark scores for it if I were you. I'd also like to see some third party providers make a few more accessories for it - like Metz.
02-16-2015, 01:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I plan to sell my gear today and buy it asap Gonna take some effort in doing it because ive grown pretty attached to my nikon gear.

QuoteQuote:
And this is supposed to be a good thing? In industry, this is referred to as shifting the firmware QA effort to the user base. In other words, purchasers test the cameras with fixes being incrementally released. As was stated by a software executive I am acquainted with..."We let our fruit ripen in other people's baskets"
I dont think this is what they are doing here, they arent putting out fixes for previous updates. In the last update they added black levels, which is something that is usually only found on $20,000 cameras or very expensive external recorders. They are just adding more value to something that already has a tremendous amont of value. The NX1 is $1500 and shoots 15 fps. The nikon d4 shoots 11 fps and it costs $6000. I

QuoteQuote:
I'd also like to see some third party providers make a few more accessories for it - like Metz.
I actually contacted metz and this is what they had to say
Dear Mr Murdock,

Thank you very much for your e-mail of 15 February 2015.

Unfortunately, for Sony camcorders (e.g. Sony NX-1) there are no flash units in our product range and no flash units planned.

We regret to have no other information for you and remain

With kind regards

Kind of unfortunate i guess, but for everything that is offered here at such a low price point i dont mind. They just may be waiting to announce it.

Last edited by neostyles; 02-16-2015 at 01:50 PM.
02-16-2015, 01:49 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
And this is supposed to be a good thing? In industry, this is referred to as shifting the firmware QA effort to the user base. In other words, purchasers test the cameras with fixes being incrementally released. As was stated by a software executive I am acquainted with..."We let our fruit ripen in other people's baskets".

Steve
In the case of the NX1 (so far!) it's been upgrades rather than bug fixes. Many new video features dropped in with v1.2 with very little fixing applied - or fixes are just improving the pipeline. What you say has certainly played out though, not surprising that many folks feel like guinea pigs with tiny cameras

I'm one of those bacon-cheezburger -er small-body types, so the nx500 sounds more like my burger. Especially with a side of pancakes, the 16mm f/2.4 and 30mm f/2 variety!
02-16-2015, 02:23 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Unfortunately, for Sony camcorders (e.g. Sony NX-1)
LOL. Did you ask them about the Samsung NX-1, or mistakenly ask them about Sony?

At the moment, BTW, one Metz flash (the 44-AF1) does support Samsung A-TTL.
02-16-2015, 02:59 PM - 5 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I hate to be negative, but I think you would have done better to stay with your current gear. I just think you are a little too focused on gear and specs and those are the smallest reason why a photographer captures images. The NX is a fine camera and a nice system, but so is the D600. And what does switching get you, except for better video? The 15 fps is impressive, but not sure what you are going to do with it. For what I shoot, it would just give me an extra fourteen images to delete every second.

Oh well, sorry to be negative. Good luck in your foray with Samsung.

02-16-2015, 03:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
LOL. Did you ask them about the Samsung NX-1, or mistakenly ask them about Sony?

At the moment, BTW, one Metz flash (the 44-AF1) does support Samsung A-TTL.
Ahhhh ive been so tired. Shazbots! Well i shall be back gentlemen!

Edit: There is actually metz af 52 for sony so i think we should be seeing one for samsung in the not too distant future!

Metz 52AF-1 Digital Flash/Sony-Guide Number 52m/170ft MZ 52316S - 52AF-1 Digital | Metz

QuoteQuote:
I hate to be negative, but I think you would have done better to stay with your current gear. I just think you are a little too focused on gear and specs and those are the smallest reason why a photographer captures images. The NX is a fine camera and a nice system, but so is the D600. And what does switching get you, except for better video? The 15 fps is impressive, but not sure what you are going to do with it. For what I shoot, it would just give me an extra fourteen images to delete every second.
You have a point, rondec. And i suppose a little of it stems from being a recently graduated college student with not alot of exciting town to keep me occupied. Palo alto isnt really the most exciting place in the world in spite of the fact that you know there is stanford here. Going to school there looks like a lot of fun but the actual town itself doesnt have much to do unless you like eating at well.. very pricey restaurants. But i dont think it takes a rocket scientist to see that mirrorless is the next big thing. Therezis a little innotion from canon/nikon but for the most part it just seems to be better specs. The NX1 is evolutionary. Its the future like TCS said. 15 fps.. i dont know if i will need that many.. but if it's there so if i need it i will have it. Some of my fascination with photography i have to confess stems from capturing things too fast for the human eye to see. Part of the reason why i am so excited to play with the 120 fps. The 5.5 fps of the d600 just hasnt been enough sometimes.

---------- Post added 02-16-15 at 05:04 PM ----------

Ahh i have a little bit of "selling my gear" anxiety. Has anyone else gotten emotionally attached to their gear. I feel like they are my babies. I think i have even put on a few pounds of muscle from carrying the d600 + 24 - 85 around for so many months. xD

Last edited by neostyles; 02-16-2015 at 04:40 PM.
02-16-2015, 04:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member

What Nikon gear will you have for sale?
02-16-2015, 05:11 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
D600 body| 24-85 3.5-4.5| 50mm1.8D| Metz AF 52| 2 battaries|Filter pack with 3 filters + case for storing extra ones. All going for the low price of $2000.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPad mini  Photo 
02-16-2015, 05:15 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Go for the right lenses to capture the moments you want, because camera bodies have too many specs to be enticed by.
If you're into the NX system, then fine, but bodies come and go (great lenses are forever).
02-16-2015, 07:30 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Not trying to be rude but that is not a low price fot that kit.
02-16-2015, 07:38 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
heh ok, well what do you think would be a better price? I sold tons of stuff on craigslist in college but i admit never anything quite this expensive
02-16-2015, 10:53 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

But i dont think it takes a rocket scientist to see that mirrorless is the next big thing.
I have been active on these forums for since 2007 and for the last 6 years or so people have been chanting that mantra. Yes, there have been some cool things come up in the mirrorless space, but most of the people I know that dabbled in that space still shoot with their SLRs with the mirrorless as an option. The prominent exception would be Sony A7 owners who shoot mostly landscape and portraiture. For them, it is the happy confluence of price, form factor, build, and larger sensor/image quality more than anything else. As noted above FPS is sort of a gee whiz thing.

You may change your mind once you find what your Nikon kit is worth...or maybe not. I would suggest that I have seen similar D810 kits go for somewhat less then $2000 within the last month.

Steve
02-17-2015, 12:33 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mirrorless sales are actually failing to materialize at forecast rates, (barely rising) while DSLRs are retaining a solid percentage of market share in the face of a drastic decline in any camera sales other than cell phones. The real hits are being taken by P&S cameras. It isn't rocket science at all that mirrorless are the future.

QuoteQuote:
"In 2012 they concluded that in 2014 we will see no less than 13 million mirrorless cameras sold worldwide. Only 3 million mirrorless cameras were actually sold…"
LensVid Exclusive: What Happened to the Photography Industry in 2014? - LensVid.comLensVid.com