Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2015, 09:38 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Not better but equal, when the first Pop Photo review of the K-3 said the K-3 had slightly faster AF than a D7100, and slightly slower auto-tracking, but pretty much equals. And they actually ran some tests to determine that. I've heard lots of people anecdotally say different, but I have no idea how much their "Nikon is better" bias had to do with their evaluation. "Seems faster", or "I think it's faster" is different than " I've run some tests and these are my results". Or bottom line, I've seen enough really bad information passed off as fact in my life, I tend to be pretty skeptical over anecdotal claims, just in case you hadn't noticed.
I think we have reached the place where auto focus is more lens limited than it is limited by the camera bodies. There may be certain situations where one body will focus a little better (I think K5 II and K3 do really well in low light settings), but in general most are "good enough."

I am very interested to see how the new 70-200 f2.8 performs, since it sounds like it is designed for faster auto focus with better in lens motor. As of right now, the fastest lenses are the Sigma HSM lenses, but I wonder if the fact that they are third party lenses does make them a little less able to be used effectively by current bodies.

03-04-2015, 09:40 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I thought this is a discussion of the new D7200....
Nonetheless, interesting discussion of AF systems... I tend to agree that k-5 lacks behind (quite) a bit... I am good with k-3 and to some extent k-5IIs. OTOH, I use manual focus lenses more often than not with higher keep rates.
03-04-2015, 09:43 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I thought this is a discussion of the new D7200....
Nonetheless, interesting discussion of AF systems... I tend to agree that k-5 lacks behind (quite) a bit... I am good with k-3 and to some extent k-5IIs. OTOH, I use manual focus lenses more often than not with higher keep rates.
Once we got to, "possibly not good enough to inspire upgrades from D7100 users, but good enough to inspire D7000 users who wanted more than a D7100 to get off the fence and upgrade" we were done.

The Pentax forum hath spoken, long live the Pentax forum, and it's pronouncements on Nikon camera bodies.
03-04-2015, 09:58 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Once we got to, "possibly not good enough to inspire upgrades from D7100 users, but good enough to inspire D7000 users who wanted more than a D7100 to get off the fence and upgrade" we were done.

The Pentax forum hath spoken, long live the Pentax forum, and it's pronouncements on Nikon camera bodies.
Probably for those D3300/D5300 users who aspire to upgrade... to D7200, or wait... where is the D7300? I thought all the model numbers are synchronized? no?

03-04-2015, 10:07 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Probably for those D3300/D5300 users who aspire to upgrade... to D7200, or wait... where is the D7300? I thought all the model numbers are synchronized? no?
I thought they all wanted full frames.
03-04-2015, 11:15 AM   #36
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The issue with "toy cameras" is that they all do great because they have lots of depth of field. If you set your K5 to f11, it should focus awesomely.

If I ever visit the surface of the sun where it is blindingly bright, I will try that with my K5......otherwise F11 is not going to help me much!

Now if you're talking about Nikon and Canon pro grade systems, with FF sensors and huge expensive AF systems that probably cost more than a K-3, no as of this date Pentax hasn't matched those, and isn't likely to given how much smaller they are and the not having much chance to recover their investment.
So Norm...it is a cost factor, as I suspected.....thanks again!
I've been thinking of a K5IIs, can anyone advise how much better the focusing is than on my K5 original?

Regards!
03-04-2015, 01:16 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Not me Rupert, I skipped the K-DIIs.

03-04-2015, 01:45 PM   #38
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Not me Rupert, I skipped the K-DIIs.
Maybe someone else that has both will answer that Norm......I love my K5 and the high ISO abilities, but could use just a little better focus abilities. I don't really need the extra pixels, I hardly print much anymore, and downsize most everything for posting.

Regards!
03-04-2015, 06:18 PM   #39
Veteran Member

I just wish my d7100s had a better buffer.

Last edited by dane.dawg; 03-04-2015 at 06:23 PM.
03-04-2015, 06:27 PM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dane.dawg Quote
I just wish my d7100s had a better buffer.
That's what I keep hearing... there's not really much wrong with it.
03-04-2015, 07:16 PM   #41
Veteran Member

That's what I keep hearing... there's not really much wrong with it.
I only run into the buffer problem once and awile but when you need it it sucks that you dont have it.
03-04-2015, 07:25 PM - 1 Like   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dane.dawg Quote
I only run into the buffer problem once and awile but when you need it it sucks that you dont have it.
Is that better or worse than when you come home after trying to catch a bird taking off, and you have 23 identical images of the same pose, but then he took off 2 seconds after your buffer filled, leaving 23 images to be deleted when you get home. Everything comes with a price.
03-05-2015, 06:53 AM   #43
Pentaxian

I would like a better AF also but I have my doubts about the other guys. After another long winter of shooting motorcycle racing on the ice, I've reached the conclusion that nobody has an AF system that can be reliable for this sport. Last week, I saw a Nikon guy continually cuss and whine and finally quit and go home after about an hour. His AF was constantly hunting and he couldn't lock focus. I've had that problem for years and I found a manual focus technique that works well for me. It would be an easy temptation to switch but I see the Nikon and Canon guys with the same problem in those conditions. I hear this all the time in forums: Nikon and Canon have better AF systems but I don't see it based on the frustration I see with the guys I am often standing right next to.
03-05-2015, 07:05 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I would like a better AF also but I have my doubts about the other guys. After another long winter of shooting motorcycle racing on the ice, I've reached the conclusion that nobody has an AF system that can be reliable for this sport. Last week, I saw a Nikon guy continually cuss and whine and finally quit and go home after about an hour. His AF was constantly hunting and he couldn't lock focus. I've had that problem for years and I found a manual focus technique that works well for me. It would be an easy temptation to switch but I see the Nikon and Canon guys with the same problem in those conditions. I hear this all the time in forums: Nikon and Canon have better AF systems but I don't see it based on the frustration I see with the guys I am often standing right next to.
Thats when you realize the whole AF thing is way overblown. People get frustrated with their Pentax's, but they don't realize, in many situations everyone is frustrated. Maybe it's just that I'm standing beside guys who've spent 5 times on their equipment than I have, and they aren't doing much better. If you haven't been part of that, it's easy to believe that Pentax sucks and everything else is great. The owl shots my buddy published in Ontario Outdoors of an owl hunting mice in a small marsh were spectacular, but technically, I wouldn't have been happy with them and neither was he. And he had the best Canon wildlife setup going.
03-05-2015, 07:27 AM   #45
Pentaxian

People get frustrated with their Pentax's, but they don't realize, in many situations everyone is frustrated.
It gets even worse (and puzzling sometimes) when you have two people shooting alongside each other with identical (or near identical) setups, and one manages to shoot OK, no AF or other problems in getting the shot, whilst the other has myriad problems with their gear or the shoot, and gives up in frustration. People blame their AF or gear, but standing next to them the same gear often may be doing the job perfectly well. I've seen this first hand.