Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-10-2015, 02:00 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Adapter for Pentax lenses on Sony Alpha 7

I've read, that a Sony Alpha 7 full frame camera can utilize (old) Pentax film camera lenses, of which I own quite a few.
I'm interested in knowing if there's an adapter that will enable AF, and auto aperture etc. if I buy a Sony Alpha 7 full frame, an want to use my Pentax lenses.
I don't really want two camera systems :-)

Last edited by Photodana; 03-10-2015 at 02:01 AM. Reason: Spelling errors
03-10-2015, 02:14 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Photodana Quote
I'm interested in knowing if there's an adapter that will enable AF, and auto aperture etc. if I buy a Sony Alpha 7 full frame, an want to use my Pentax lenses.
No. :-)
03-10-2015, 02:45 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I've read, that a Sony Alpha 7 full frame camera can utilize (old) Pentax film camera lenses, of which I own quite a few.
All manual. See:
Sony A7 with Pentax Full-frame Glass Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-10-2015, 02:48 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

the pentax FF is close. Is there is no specific reason you'd want the A7 or you'd need FF now, i'd just wait & see what comes up.

03-10-2015, 07:36 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks
I do have an adapter for my Nex-6. It Works, but not well - only Manual Focus and old fashioned stoped Down metering - like the time before the Spotmatic F.
Don't want to go there Again :-) How hard can it be to make a decent up 2 date adapter...

Regards
Jens

---------- Post added 03-10-2015 at 03:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
the pentax FF is close. Is there is no specific reason you'd want the A7 or you'd need FF now, i'd just wait & see what comes up.
Thanks - I didn't know if the Full Frame talk was a joke or not. Was it actually on display at the CP+2015, as foreseen?
I hope it will be priced below 3000 Euros, though :-)
Regards
Jens
03-10-2015, 07:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Thanks - I didn't know if the Full Frame talk was a joke or not. Was it actually on display at the CP+2015, as foreseen?
I hope it will be priced below 3000 Euros, though :-)
yes, you've missed something obviously :-) I'd be surprised if it went above 3k.
03-10-2015, 10:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Moved to proper area.

03-16-2015, 09:41 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
AF adapters are available only for Nikon/Canon/Sony-A lenses. I wish there was one for Pentax too.
03-16-2015, 12:35 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
AF adapters are available only for Nikon/Canon/Sony-A lenses. I wish there was one for Pentax too.
No AF adapter for Nikon, Yusuf.. :-(

I've heard the Canon adapter isn't great.

The Sony A mount one uses an elderly AF system far inferior to the ones in use today. The AF points are only in the centre and you lose 30% of your light (half a stop) to the thing's translucent splitting device.

Last edited by clackers; 03-16-2015 at 12:52 PM.
03-16-2015, 08:52 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
No AF adapter for Nikon, Yusuf.. :-(

I've heard the Canon adapter isn't great.

The Sony A mount one uses an elderly AF system far inferior to the ones in use today. The AF points are only in the centre and you lose 30% of your light (half a stop) to the thing's translucent splitting device.
my bad, I thought metabone was planning to release one but you are right, nothing so far.

I personally use LA-EA2 with NEX6 and it's pretty good actually.
03-16-2015, 09:30 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

my bad, I thought metabone was planning to release one but you are right, nothing so far.

I personally use LA-EA2 with NEX6 and it's pretty good actually.

Well, you might not be bothered by your f2 lens becoming f2.2 or f2.4, Yusuf, or your f8 becoming f9 or f9.5.

But the AF is ancient - just 15 sensors, only three cross-type, and they cover only 20% of your NEX6's cropped frame.

On a full frame A7, that's just 10%.

It makes tracking difficult - no match for a Nikon D4, say, with 51 sensors, or Canon 1D X with 61.
03-17-2015, 02:43 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Well, you might not be bothered by your f2 lens becoming f2.2 or f2.4, Yusuf, or your f8 becoming f9 or f9.5.

But the AF is ancient - just 15 sensors, only three cross-type, and they cover only 20% of your NEX6's cropped frame.

On a full frame A7, that's just 10%.

It makes tracking difficult - no match for a Nikon D4, say, with 51 sensors, or Canon 1D X with 61.
f2 remains f2, a bit of light loss is agreed though and I am not worried to trade it for AF.

I don't think OP even asked for the comparison with top of the line AF machines. And to be honest, do we expect D4 or 1DX performance from even Pentax k3 or Sony native mount lenses? We need to keep the expectation realistic when using adapters. And someone wants the best in class AF, Nikon or Canon is the choice.

btw, as a long time user of k5, I do see LA-EA2 performs as good as K-5 if not better.
03-17-2015, 03:17 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

btw, as a long time user of k5, I do see LA-EA2 performs as good as K-5 if not better.
Both the K-5 and the LA-EA2 are dated, Yusuf.

Sadly, the expensive LA-EA4 seems to be just the LA-EA2 for full frame. The same old technology.

I would not expect it to improve, either.

The A-mount seems likely to be euthanized.
03-18-2015, 02:56 PM   #14
osv
Veteran Member

f2 remains f2, a bit of light loss is agreed though and I am not worried to trade it for AF.
you lose maybe 1/3rd stop, and you gain live view in an evf, instead of having to use a horrible ovf... more than worth it, by a long shot.

you also get access to eleven ff f/2.8 zooms in a-mount, vs. two ff f/2.8 zooms in k-mount

the new tamron sp 15-30mm f/2.8 zoom is coming out in a-mount, and it is being compared favorably to the nikon 14-24... can't get that lens in k-mount.
Tamron SP 15-30mm f/2.8 Di USD Lens (Sony A) AFA012S-700 B&H

laea4 is a winner, no question about it.
03-19-2015, 10:28 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
laea4 is a winner, no question about it.
Agree, I don't own EA4 but I do have EA2 and both has same AF speed. I wish there was a way to modify EA2 for FF.